Last Minute Fee Waiver??? Their Motivation...? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrwarre85

Silver

Re: Last Minute Fee Waiver??? Their Motivation...?

Post by mrwarre85 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

amorfati wrote:Yes, hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm already on hold at Columbia with a 176/3.6, and lots of others with similar or better numbers are as well. Seems like it's probably just a ranking/selectivity game... :(
A rankings/selectivity game that deliberately fools USNWR and far worse wastes hours of time from each of the 1000 or so applicants that applied and never had a shot. I would love to know how many people got that waiver-- seems to me from this small sample that the number was significant.

Gross.

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Looks anyone with a 165+ that listed they were interested in schools in the Northeast :roll:

I'm sure LSAC isn't complaining at $12 a pop.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:37 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Someone should submit this to a law school journal. This is unethical.
Why?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

flepper wrote:Looks anyone with a 165+ that listed they were interested in schools in the Northeast :roll:

I wish this were the case as my LSAC/CRS profile contains both and no FW. Bummer. Any use emailing and asking? It's not hidden either.

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 pm

swampthang wrote:
flepper wrote:Looks anyone with a 165+ that listed they were interested in schools in the Northeast :roll:

I wish this were the case as my LSAC/CRS profile contains both and no FW. Bummer. Any use emailing and asking? It's not hidden either.
I'm no expert (LOL 0L) but why not? If you're ok with $12 you may be one of several special people they might take at this point, even if you're a pessimist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 pm

flepper wrote:
swampthang wrote:

I'm no expert (LOL 0L) but why not? If you're ok with $12 you may be one of several special people they might take at this point, even if you're a pessimist.
I'm sorry, was this a response to my post? I'm all for the $12 gamble- risk/reward is totally worth it. But I'm just shocked and confused why I haven't gotten one and people with 165/2.9 profiles have. Whatever.

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Yeah, I guess it wasn't too clear. I said it might be worth it to email/call for one and ask; might as well, if chumps like us are getting waivers.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:43 am

flepper wrote:Yeah, I guess it wasn't too clear. I said it might be worth it to email/call for one and ask; might as well, if chumps like us are getting waivers.
Oh I agree it's worth a shot, I just hear Columbia is notoriously...unreasonable when fielding FW requests. Shame, they're trolling well below their ranges, why not toss some love to someone actually in their range? Hurtful.

flepper

New

Post by flepper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 pm

My conspiracy theory is that, perhaps because you're well within their range, they'd expect you to apply anyway. If these last-minute waivers really are a way of increasing their selectivity rankings/acceptance rates, they might specifically be trolling unqualified applicants they can turn away in droves. They might not even want more qualified applicants that might lower their yield/increase their selectivity rankings, hence your lack of fee waiver.

Of course, they'd have to be truly shrewd and evil for this to be true, but... just saying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Someone should submit this to a law school journal. This is unethical.
Why?

I'm not saying schools don't game the rankings, but have we really gotten to the point where we do it this openly? The fee-waiver email they sent isn't misleading, its duplicitous. A openly duplicitous act perpetrated by a school on the backs of innocent 0Ls simply to stay ahead of NYU in the rankings (just a guess of course, but the majority is likely to agree at least that this was it was done with the rankings in mind)?

Perhaps we have different definitions of unethical and I can respect that. Just my lowly opinion here.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
Why?

I'm not saying schools don't game the rankings, but have we really gotten to the point where we do it this openly? The fee-waiver email they sent isn't misleading, its duplicitous. A openly duplicitous act perpetrated by a school on the backs of innocent 0Ls simply to stay ahead of NYU in the rankings (just a guess of course, but the majority is likely to agree at least that this was it was done with the rankings in mind)?

Perhaps we have different definitions of unethical and I can respect that. Just my lowly opinion here.
I'd argue that if even one person gets in who wouldn't have normally applied for top 4 because of this FW push, then it's a good thing. That's one person getting a CLS education that wouldn't have. If I had to guess, this FW push is more related to the news in mid Jan that applications were way down and that the number of Dec LSAT takers were way down than it is to them just wanting to boost their selectivity. That just happens to be a very happy side effect.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm

geoduck wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
Why?

I'd argue that if even one person gets in who wouldn't have normally applied for top 4 because of this FW push, then it's a good thing. That's one person getting a CLS education that wouldn't have. If I had to guess, this FW push is more related to the news in mid Jan that applications were way down and that the number of Dec LSAT takers were way down than it is to them just wanting to boost their selectivity. That just happens to be a very happy side effect.
Haha maybe they will take one just to assuage their conscience. You make a good point. I doubt it will be someone who is under both their medians, though. They will probably take a 155/3.95 with a great personal statement if anything. Good for that person.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Dammit, I would have liked a fee waiver :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Well, thought that Columbia fee waiver was a joke (161 and 3.45), but I was put in the reserve group/waitlist. Small victory.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:20 pm

I wish I could hear back from them. They told me they wouldn't look at my Feb LSAT in their decision making, but I don't see why they wouldn't when they still haven't made the decision and it will be staring back at them when they finally get around to my files. I wrote them an interesting PS and Feb test puts me over 1 median, so come on Columbia! Assuage your conscience with some sympathy admits already!

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Kabuo wrote:Allow me to divulge the secret. It's Columbia. I'm 3.2/172 and I just got one, so I'd guess I have somewhere between a 0-5% chance. :roll: Oh well, it's Columbia, and now it's only $12. I'll gladly be fodder for their selectivity rating on the off chance I get in.

Should my PS be about hoping to one day be David Stern and why I need to go to the same law school?
David Stern as in DJS Enterprises? The forclosure mill?

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:58 pm

No, the Commish of the NBA. Incidentally, I've been killing time working at the Home Depot for the last 3 years while I was in school, and their CEO, Frank Blake, also went to Columbia Law. I don't actually know this, but I've always assumed the foreclosure king went to a TTT somewhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Kabuo wrote:No, the Commish of the NBA. Incidentally, I've been killing time working at the Home Depot for the last 3 years while I was in school, and their CEO, Frank Blake, also went to Columbia Law. I don't actually know this, but I've always assumed the foreclosure king went to a TTT somewhere.
He went to a 4th tier school in Texas. Is DJS of South Florida well known nationally? I work in the industry in South Florida and my firm receives alot of his transfer files.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Felt like a trap. Applied anyway.
TRALALALALA

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:28 pm

I wish I had a fee waiver from Columbia! =(

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 pm

hous wrote:
Kabuo wrote:No, the Commish of the NBA. Incidentally, I've been killing time working at the Home Depot for the last 3 years while I was in school, and their CEO, Frank Blake, also went to Columbia Law. I don't actually know this, but I've always assumed the foreclosure king went to a TTT somewhere.
He went to a 4th tier school in Texas. Is DJS of South Florida well known nationally? I work in the industry in South Florida and my firm receives alot of his transfer files.
It's well known by anyone who reads ATL. That's the only reason I know of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Is anyone else getting absolutely deluged by University of Detroit Mercy???

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:53 pm

gothamm wrote:Is anyone else getting absolutely deluged by University of Detroit Mercy???
Worse, Baylor has been up my ass for like 2 weeks.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Has anyone who got a fee waiver in this bunch heard anything from Columbia? I have no delusions, but it'd be nice if they could get it over with.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Kabuo wrote:Has anyone who got a fee waiver in this bunch heard anything from Columbia? I have no delusions, but it'd be nice if they could get it over with.
Yeah, I was placed on reserve a couple weeks ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”