How long should the resume be on Application??? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lily1221

New

How long should the resume be on Application???

Post by lily1221 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 am

So everyone always says that a resume should be no more than one page long. But NYLS claims that it's okay to make it longer than one page and submit hobbies, interests, etc. What do you all think? My resume is one page long and I left out a part time job I had for nine months which is disclosed on the application already but not on resume. I cut it out thinking it would make it all too long.

Cupidity

Gold

Re: How long should the resume be on Application???

Post by Cupidity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:27 am

NEVER MORE THAN 1 PAGE EVER

Not for the next 15 years anyway.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am

Cupidity wrote:NEVER MORE THAN 1 PAGE EVER

Yessir.

Resume = One page. If you need space, lose the objective. It's useless anyway.

CV = as many pages as you want, and the more the better. I remember taking a look at the NYLS app and they do say either resume or c.v. So you can do a c.v. and not worry about length.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 am

You guys had an objective on yours?
I guess my only resume writing abilities were formed post-MBA aka w/ no objective

Anyone with a sample objective for a law school app?
Last edited by BlakcMajikc on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:12 am

mine was a page and a half. Probably should have changed it but didn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:17 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Yessir.

CV = as many pages as you want, and the more the better. I remember taking a look at the NYLS app and they do say either resume or c.v. So you can do a c.v. and not worry about length.
OP: Various law school deans have said to use more than one page if you have relevant information that would be left off if only using one. I had to use 2 and it hasn't seemed to hurt me yet.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:03 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Yessir.

Someone forgot to call all the schools and tell them to throw away my crammed 2-page resume in 11pt font AND .5 inch margins.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I've only seen one app that required a one page resume. The others that stipulated a length said two. Those of us with multiple jobs, a school transfer and several activities probably wouldn't be well served by ditching information to make the one page mark. I barely made two pages, but filmographies take up a lot of vertical space by their very nature.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:06 pm

To the people contesting my answer....

Where the hell did you get the idea more than one page was ok? Seriously?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:To the people contesting my answer....

from all the acceptance letters?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

This question has been asked and answered hundreds of times. Please feel free to use the search function.

1 page is best. If you feel you need 2, it's fine. If you decide on 2 pages, use up all two pages. Personal preference: I don't like the look of a resume that is one and a half pages. FWIW, I had an active undergrad, have a masters degree, and 5 years of WE and I fit it all on one page. It's possible. If you're using more, you're likely including shit that doesn't matter.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 pm

TommyK wrote:This question has been asked and answered hundreds of times. Please feel free to use the search function.

1 page is best. If you feel you need 2, it's fine. If you decide on 2 pages, use up all two pages. Personal preference: I don't like the look of a resume that is one and a half pages. FWIW, I had an active undergrad, have a masters degree, and 5 years of WE and I fit it all on one page. It's possible. If you're using more, you're likely including shit that doesn't matter.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

Scroll down, click on sample resume 3.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:To the people contesting my answer....

Harvard's website... but I agree, Harvard is practically TTT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm

TommyK wrote: It's possible. If you're using more, you're likely including shit that doesn't matter.
Many people did more interesting things.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
TommyK wrote:This question has been asked and answered hundreds of times. Please feel free to use the search function.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

Scroll down, click on sample resume 3.
Dang, you beat me to it. Yeah, I know... I still hold strong to my personal preference. I think it looks ridiculous if it dribbling onto the second page.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
TommyK wrote: It's possible. If you're using more, you're likely including shit that doesn't matter.
LIKELY, not necessarily. I don't disagree. I'm sure many people did more interesting things. I stand by my statement. In most cases, you can whittle your resume down to one page to make it more effective.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

TommyK wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
LIKELY, not necessarily. I don't disagree. I'm sure many people did more interesting things. I stand by my statement. In most cases, you can whittle your resume down to one page to make it more effective.
My education + publication + research + volunteering + teaching adds up to 2/3 page. I can easily see many others fitting this bill or more since mine is actually kind of bare.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I would agere with this. It's best to try not to look at things only from a "fresh outta undergrad" perspective. A lot of people out of undergrad have significant acheivements/activies since and during college. It's not effective to list only one or the other -- especially when applications don't necessarily specify page-length, and do want applicants to account for time periods in and after college.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
TommyK wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
My education + publication + research + volunteering + teaching adds up to 2/3 page. I can easily see many others fitting this bill or more since mine is actually kind of bare.
I'm sorry, but it seems like you're trying to disagree with an argument that I've never made.

You're saying that because you needed more than one page, many others will as well. Um, of course. There will be many others that may need more than one page. "Many others" is almost certainly the extreme minority. For the vast majority of applicants, one page will suffice. I stand by everything I've said :

1.5 pages as a personal preference I do not like.
It is likely if you're using more than one page, you're including aspects that aren't terribly important

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm

TommyK wrote:
I'm sorry, but it seems like you're trying to disagree with an argument that I've never made.

You're saying that because you needed more than one page, many others will as well. Um, of course. There will be many others that may need more than one page. "Many others" is almost certainly the extreme minority. For the vast majority of applicants, one page will suffice. I stand by everything I've said :

1.5 pages as a personal preference I do not like.
It is likely if you're using more than one page, you're including aspects that aren't terribly important

And you are saying because you didn't need one, many others will not. It's the same argument only reversed.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm saying, talk to your college's career services, or your law school's CDO when you get here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:I'm saying, talk to your college's career services, or your law school's CDO when you get here.
That's a resume FROM law school, not a resume TO law school. You are talking about entry level jobs... not to showcase your accomplishments and academic potential.

I do know what 1L/2L/3L resume is like.

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 pm

bdubs wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Yessir.

OP: Various law school deans have said to use more than one page if you have relevant information that would be left off if only using one. I had to use 2 and it hasn't seemed to hurt me yet.

+1

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:36 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:You guys had an objective on yours?
I guess my only resume writing abilities were formed post-MBA aka w/ no objective

Not that it matters for me personally, but when I give advice and do resume reviews.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:You guys had an objective on yours?

Not that it matters for me personally, but when I give advice and do resume reviews.
No objective for law school resumes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”