Can you withdraw from a wait list?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Can you withdraw from a wait list?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I have no desire to attend the school after being wait listed, considering I have already been accepted to better schools. Do I withdraw from the wait list, or does one only withdraw when declining an acceptance?

jarofsoup

Re: Can you withdraw from a wait list?

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm

With draw. It frees up room for other applicants and helps the school.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I have no desire to attend the school after being wait listed, considering I have already been accepted to better schools. Do I withdraw from the wait list, or does one only withdraw when declining an acceptance?

Yes, you can withdraw. They'll appreciate it since it'll allow them to maintain a waitlist of people actually interested in attending if accepted. Just send them a polite E-mail informing them of your decision, usually that's all it takes.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I have no desire to attend the school after being wait listed, considering I have already been accepted to better schools. Do I withdraw from the wait list, or does one only withdraw when declining an acceptance?

Yes, you can withdraw. They'll appreciate it since it'll allow them to maintain a waitlist of people actually interested in attending if accepted. Just send them a polite E-mail informing them of your decision, usually that's all it takes.

Thanks. I was just going to ask how to go about withdrawing. I appreciate the help from both of you.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm

I did this with one school that I had pretty much made up my mind I didn't want to attend. I just sent an email right when I got the waitlist notice. I think I maybe should have waited to see what happened since it was the highest ranked school I ended up still having a shot at (after a number of rejections), but at the time I really just wanted to make a final decision about where I would be and it wasn't one of my very top choices in the first place.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”