Why doesn't this school get brought up?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Why doesn't this school get brought up?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Its above Golden gate/Whittier/Thomas Jefferson/Southwestern and significantly less cost.

Edit to add link if anyone is interested

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ECWYhV4t0wE=&tabid=2269

The best stats in there: Loyola, ASU, Cooley, NE ~ 30%

Sample size is small but still.

Yale 100%, Stanford 98%

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Chicago is at 100% too.

And my school has been getting beat down by USC the last couple years. Its bad enough losing in basketball and football, but we are supposed to have the better law school haha.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

kings84_wr wrote:Yeah I agree most of the schools are ridiculous. I think its insane to have a non-aba accredited school in a market like SF/LA/OC/SD where there are already tons of law schools (that probably should not be around either).

The fresno area may be crushed by the economy and not the greatest place to live, but it is the 5th largest city in CA and has no law school.

yeah, but there aren't many firms there. there are like 4 or 5 medium sized firms, and right now they are filling their SA slots with Berkeley/Hastings/Davis people. In the past they hired mostly from Santa Clara, McGeorge, etc. plus a few from San Joaquin.

San Joaquin probably does a decent job of providing small firm attorneys, but not much else.

It's fun being rejected by a San Joaquin alum-partner by the way. My how times have changed... I've also been shot down by a Willamette grad recently.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Its above Golden gate/Whittier/Thomas Jefferson/Southwestern and significantly less cost.

Edit to add link if anyone is interested

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ECWYhV4t0wE=&tabid=2269

The best stats in there: Loyola, ASU, Cooley, NE ~ 30%

Sample size is small but still.

Yale 100%, Stanford 98%

Loyola LA has an 84% pass rate which is good over all. Loyola New Orleans only has a 30% pass rate. I just wanted to clear that up. It is not bad that Loyola NO, ASU, and NE have poor CA bar passage rates. They are regionals.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 pm

General Tso wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:Yeah I agree most of the schools are ridiculous. I think its insane to have a non-aba accredited school in a market like SF/LA/OC/SD where there are already tons of law schools (that probably should not be around either).

The fresno area may be crushed by the economy and not the greatest place to live, but it is the 5th largest city in CA and has no law school.

yeah, but there aren't many firms there. there are like 4 or 5 medium sized firms, and right now they are filling their SA slots with Berkeley/Hastings/Davis people. In the past they hired mostly from Santa Clara, McGeorge, etc. plus a few from San Joaquin.

San Joaquin probably does a decent job of providing small firm attorneys, but not much else.

It's fun being rejected by a San Joaquin alum-partner by the way. My how times have changed... I've also been shot down by a Willamette grad recently.

Yeah I was rejected after 2 callbacks at firms there and I didn't even get callbacks at the others despite strong ties to the area. I wasn't really all that excited about living in Fresno anyways, but still sort of bitter.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm

hey Kings...I just sent you a PM

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 pm

I interviewed at several smaller and mid-sized firms in Fresno, which would seem to be this school's home base. During this time, I met one, that's o-n-e, 1, attorney who had gone to this school. It would seem like if SJCL grads are being hired ANYWHERE in private practice, it would be firms in Fresno, but no. In all honestly, the guy I met seemed like a nice guy and I'm sure he was a fine lawyer, but this law school is a farce.

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 am

I was curious about just where a TTT/TTTT law school gets its professors from, so I started looking through Golden Gate's Faculty.

One professor had a BA from Yale and went to Boalt after that. Another had a BS and JD from UIUC. Another had a JD from UVa and an LLM from NYU. And basically a lot more Boalt JDs and NYU JDs, a Princeton BA, and a Michigan JD. :shock: Totally did not expect to see that at a toilet bowl law school. How bad is the market for professors?

wildcats2008

Postby wildcats2008 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 am

lol at the 1 stanford person who had to retake the bar exam. hopefully, they have a really great excuse because they failed the 2nd time too!

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:18 am

wildcats2008 wrote:lol at the 1 stanford person who had to retake the bar exam. hopefully, they have a really great excuse because they failed the 2nd time too!

Didn't the dean of stanford from a few years back fail the Cali Bar?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 am

Peg wrote:I was curious about just where a TTT/TTTT law school gets its professors from, so I started looking through Golden Gate's Faculty.

One professor had a BA from Yale and went to Boalt after that. Another had a BS and JD from UIUC. Another had a JD from UVa and an LLM from NYU. And basically a lot more Boalt JDs and NYU JDs, a Princeton BA, and a Michigan JD. :shock: Totally did not expect to see that at a toilet bowl law school. How bad is the market for professors?

This is a fun exercise that makes it seem like certain schools ordain law profs. How special. I don't think the issue's the prof market. It's just that LS prof hiring is really biased in thinking that grads from top name brand schools necessarily make good profs, and that GGU may not be quite as bad as people think (education-wise, that is, which of course is moot for ranking and common perception purposes).

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I really like how, on the grading scale I found in their brochure, you can get a 55-64 and it's called "inadequate, but passing."

You pass inadequate work??? Huh????

lol.

T-14s are more likely to pass inadequate work than TTTs, dude. This is not the mark of a bad school.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:59 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I really like how, on the grading scale I found in their brochure, you can get a 55-64 and it's called "inadequate, but passing."

You pass inadequate work??? Huh????

lol.

T-14s are more likely to pass inadequate work than TTTs, dude. This is not the mark of a bad school.

Maybe not but the fact that they accept students who have not completed a college degree definitely is.

Regular Students
Individuals who hold a minimum of a two-year degree, or the equivalent, from an approved college or university, or who will complete such a degree prior to entering law school, qualify as Regular Students. Under the rules of the California Committee of Bar Examiners, Regular Student status also may be achieved with 60 qualifying units of college credit.

Special Students
Exceptional men and women who do not have a baccalaureate degree, associate degree or 60 qualifying units of college credit are classified as Special Students. A limited number of Special Students are accepted each year.

I'm shocked that graduates are even allowed to sit for the California bar.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 am

--ImageRemoved--

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:33 am

Peg wrote:I was curious about just where a TTT/TTTT law school gets its professors from, so I started looking through Golden Gate's Faculty.

I read a thread on TLS by a law school professor. It was interesting when he was talking about the prestige of the law schools and how in comparison to the students, the prospective faculty care very little about the rankings. For example, Cornell, while an excellent school for students, may not be as desirable as Boston College or University of Miami for prospective professors (because Ithaca blows).

What they're looking for is based on a set of factors much larger than rankings and correlative data like job placement.

So this explains why there are professors at less well-respected schools from strong academic pedigrees. Also, just as likely, they already lived in the area and were successful practicing attorneys and have decided to take it easy and teach a course or two as adjunct faculty... or just completely transition out of practice to academe.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:41 am

aspire2more wrote:
I'm shocked that graduates are even allowed to sit for the California bar.

If I remember correctly, you can take correspondence course or online classes to sit for the CA bar.

Also, you don't actually have to attend college. Instead of actually going through the arduous process of completing the two cumbersome years of associates degree work from a community college, you can take equivalency exams that prove that you have the knowledge base tested in those classes.

Also, IIRC, you don't have to attend classes for three years like a traditional program. You can attend for one years and work in a law office or for a judge for three years after the one year of coursework. These requirements inspire a few :lol: 's from me, until I realize that once you're licensed in CA and have been practicing, some states offer reciprocity, and the :lol: turns into a :shock:

I think the CA assembly is reviewing legislation so that anybody with more than 1000 posts on TLS are able to sit for the exam.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”