Question on a "soft"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SheriffMcLawdog

Question on a "soft"

Postby SheriffMcLawdog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Friends,

Just for full disclosure, I've already completed my applications to all schools, and sent them out. I recently read that certain medical issues are considered "softs", and something worth noting in an application or personal statement. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since 11 months old (over 20 years), but I did not list or even mention that anywhere. Just because im curious, would that have been something that I should have mentioned somewhere?

Thanks!

Knock

Re: Question on a "soft"

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:17 pm

SheriffMcLawdog wrote:Friends,

Just for full disclosure, I've already completed my applications to all schools, and sent them out. I recently read that certain medical issues are considered "softs", and something worth noting in an application or personal statement. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic since 11 months old (over 20 years), but I did not list or even mention that anywhere. Just because im curious, would that have been something that I should have mentioned somewhere?

Thanks!

You could have incorporated it somewhere into your application if this medical condition has some sort of condition/influence on why you want to practice law, or has caused some significant burden or hardship that you've had to overcome.

But if you're just trying to get some sort of admissions boost for having a medial condition, I don't think it would work or be worth mentioning really.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:26 pm

If you didn't think to mention it in your personal statement/diversity statement I think you shouldn't mention it at all.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Yeah, the only way this can be used is if it's something that would influence your choice of law or how you've come to be who you are today... you obviously didn't include it in anything that would suggest that, so it's really not much at this point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”