How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rory1987
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:37 pm

How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I've seen the NALP charts and whatnot, but overall how strong are they? I know they outplaced Cornell once or something, but is the school's reputation equal to that of GULC and Cornell? Are they national? If the cost was equal, would you take Vandy over Cornell or GULC? Would you take Vandy with money over MPV at sticker? Does someone at median at Vandy still have a shot for BigLaw?

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Rory1987 wrote:I've seen the NALP charts and whatnot, but overall how strong are they? I know they outplaced Cornell once or something, but is the school's reputation equal to that of GULC and Cornell? Are they national? If the cost was equal, would you take Vandy over Cornell or GULC? Would you take Vandy with money over MPV at sticker? Does someone at median at Vandy still have a shot for BigLaw?


This has been discussed over. And over. And over. The consensus seems to be yeaaaash. Maybe.

I'm guessing Rad Law and Observationalist will be along any moment now to continue advocating Vandy.

Trequartista
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 am

Re: How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

Postby Trequartista » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Wasn't Cornell's placement for 2009 lower because schools that focused on New York suffered a lot? Even Columbia's placement dropped drastically. In all the previous stats Cornell seems to comprehensively beat Vandy in biglaw placement.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

1. GULC and Cornell aren't really national. Maybe a bit moreso than Vandy (i.e. I'd take GULC/Cornell over Vandy for working on the west coast) but not nearly as much as schools better than them.

2. Median is unlikely to get you biglaw out of any of those 3.

3. I'd say Vandy/Cornell/GULC have similar enough placement that you probably shouldn't decide between them based on biglaw placement alone.

3. Vandy with $ versus MVP at sticker depends on how much $ Vandy gives you and what your career goals are.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: How is Vandy's placement in comparison to the lower T14?

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm

bk1 wrote:1. GULC and Cornell aren't really national. Maybe a bit moreso than Vandy (i.e. I'd take GULC/Cornell over Vandy for working on the west coast) but not nearly as much as schools better than them.

2. Median is unlikely to get you biglaw out of any of those 3.

3. I'd say Vandy/Cornell/GULC have similar enough placement that you probably shouldn't decide between them based on biglaw placement alone.

3. Vandy with $ versus MVP at sticker depends on how much $ Vandy gives you and what your career goals are.


This

nael wrote:Wasn't Cornell's placement for 2009 lower because schools that focused on New York suffered a lot? Even Columbia's placement dropped drastically. In all the previous stats Cornell seems to comprehensively beat Vandy in biglaw placement.


And probably this.

Without better ITE stats it's tough to say.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests