Help With Finding my Criminal Record

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boom_cs

Help With Finding my Criminal Record

Postby boom_cs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 pm

What is the best way to find what exactly you were charged with?

My freshman year I got a little drunk and had a run in with the cops. Can somebody help me with finding my own charges?

Any help would be appreciated.

NorCalBruin

Re: Help With Finding my Criminal Record

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 am

If you have lost the paperwork, call the court clerk in jurisdiction where you were charged. Generally this is the city or county where the incident occurred. Some Cities/Counties have multiple clerks, depending on how large they are (i.e. traffic/civil/criminal), so try and call the right one. You might have to sit on the phone on hold forever (heyo Los Angeles!) or you might get through right away (yea Malibu County Court, you rule!). They should have all the information you need. Most will send you an unofficial copy of the charges/court documents for free, and many will sent you an official copy for a small fee (usually $25-ish). That's been my experience searching for my own exact charges. That's also been my experience (limited though it is) when getting documents for the law office I work part-time for. Hopefully others can weigh in on this.

In my experience, background check services you find on the internet are generally worthless unless you (or the person your searching) has committed serious crimes.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 am

If google can't find it, it does not exist.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm

What jurisdiction were you in? Were you arrested? Do you have any information to work from?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Try using pipl.com and entering your name and city. It will blow your mind what you find. It often has court records.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm

In this day and age, some agencies have moved to not only online docket information but also a wide array of imaged documents.

We occasionally have clients that cannot tell us about jurisdictions for all of their arrests...in those cases, if they can tell us the general area, we send a standard letter with the release of privileged information to the Sheriff's Department (they would have handled booking and bond release information) as well as either the County Clerk or District Clerk (depending on felony or misdemeanor charge). Those agencies will have documents that get us in the direction of the arresting agency (since in some counties, there may be a few dozen agencies with arrest powers), who then get a request for the full report.

If a misdemeanor, the Complaint and Information may identify the agency. You may also see an Affidavit for Warrant of Arrest and Detention in the Clerk's file.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

TommyK wrote:Try using pipl.com and entering your name and city. It will blow your mind what you find. It often has court records.

lol generic name ftw.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. Actually found a scanned copy of the ticket. It was a misdemeanor for fake id but was dropped down to a drinking ticket and then dismissed after some community service and a fine. How would you guys address this on an app?

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:07 pm

boom_cs wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. Actually found a scanned copy of the ticket. It was a misdemeanor for fake id but was dropped down to a drinking ticket and then dismissed after some community service and a fine. How would you guys address this on an app?

Question is too vague. Everything depends on HOW the question on THAT app is phrased. Especially since you have a citation (was it even an arrest?) for one offense that was pled to another offense and then apparently was the subject of a deferred disposition (which begs the question of whether a conviction was ever present in the case).

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah sorry I believe the charges were dropped after I completed the community service and fine. I was never arrested just cited.

SHould not be too much of a problem. At least I hope not.

Sean

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”