Traffic Violation Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drmguy

Traffic Violation Addendum

Postby drmguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:47 pm

After reading some other posts I went to the DMV today, because I don't have the exact dates of my tickets, and got a driving record that didn't show any record of the two tickets I received in the past. He told me that I could send some form off to Sacramento but it wasn't even a guarantee and it would take weeks.

Should I write an addendum that says the year or write the year and guess the month?

Thanks

bk1

Re: Traffic Violation Addendum

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Put the season, or just put the year. Such as:

Fall 2006 - Speeding
Winter 2008 - Running a Stop Light

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

I had NO idea of the dates or years of mine, so I just wrote:

"Over the past six years I have received five minor traffic tickets: four for exceeding the speed limit and one for following another vehicle too closely. One of these was removed from my record after my successful completion of driving school. I have not been charged or convicted with any other offense.*"

*I included that because it was in response to a criminal conviction question so I wanted to make it clear they were all just minor traffic violations. The school said it was fine.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:57 pm

I've received a few speeding tickets and didn't disclose any of them, is this really necessary?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I've received a few speeding tickets and didn't disclose any of them, is this really necessary?

Some schools want you to though most do not care.

Read how their app is worded and if it seems like they may want traffic violations, email or call their admissions office to see if they really do.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I've received a few speeding tickets and didn't disclose any of them, is this really necessary?

Depends on the school. Pretty sure no T14 asks you to disclose (but I'm unsure of Yale, Mich, Penn, and Berkeley because I didn't apply.

Edit - as usual, what BK said. :D

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

eskimo wrote:

Depends on the school. Pretty sure no T14 asks you to disclose (but I'm unsure of Yale, Mich, Penn, and Berkeley because I didn't apply.

:)

I think Mich and one other were the only ones I had to send it to. But my memory is really foggy on it.

Zarathustraspoke

Postby Zarathustraspoke » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
eskimo wrote:

:)

I think Mich and one other were the only ones I had to send it to. But my memory is really foggy on it.

Thanks. I'll go through my apps once more once I get back from work and re-read to see if any seem wanting of some sort of disclosure...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:Thanks. I'll go through my apps once more once I get back from work and re-read to see if any seem wanting of some sort of disclosure...

Sounds good. I wouldn't be too worried about it though. If you find one that does, email them with an update and all should be set.

I imagine that for these schools a lot of kids forget to append their traffic violations because it is so uncommon and is usually buried in the "have you committed any crimes?" question.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”