"List Significant Honors/Awards" for the Underachieved?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulFish

"List Significant Honors/Awards" for the Underachieved?

Postby HopefulFish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 pm

For those of us who have like 3-4 minor scholastic achievements to jot down under this category, should we just leave it blank or fill it in and hope that the awkward 3/4th of the remaining blank space go unnoticed?

bk1

Re: "List Significant Honors/Awards" for the Underachieved?

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm in the same boat and put it in.

Probably doesn't matter either way.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:53 pm

bk1 wrote:I'm in the same boat and put it in.

Probably doesn't matter either way.

This and this.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

I would list everything you have. It won't be as good as some, but it will definitely look better than someone who put down absolutely nothing...

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

I just don't understand where people are getting these honors and awards from. Asides from graduating with latin honors what are people listing? I really don't know anyone at my university who have these numerous awards and honors.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I just don't understand where people are getting these honors and awards from. Asides from graduating with latin honors what are people listing? I really don't know anyone at my university who have these numerous awards and honors.

I don't know about your UG, but I've gotten a lot of different scholarships/departmental awards/honors from my university. I thought it was pretty common?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:02 pm

eskimo wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:I just don't understand where people are getting these honors and awards from. Asides from graduating with latin honors what are people listing? I really don't know anyone at my university who have these numerous awards and honors.

I don't know about your UG, but I've gotten a lot of different scholarships/departmental awards/honors from my university. I thought it was pretty common?

Same here.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

eskimo wrote:

Not here. Everyone gets one scholarship from the state. Nothing from the colleges that I know of. It is a big state school so maybe thats why idk?

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:09 pm

I go to a big state school as well. Weird!

It certainly doesn't matter much either way!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:11 pm

eskimo wrote:I go to a big state school as well. Weird!

State school here as well. And as to the above poster we're not really talking about scholarships, more just simple awards to random honors societies or from the school like "Third Year Scholar."

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
eskimo wrote:I go to a big state school as well. Weird!

State school here as well. And as to the above poster we're not really talking about scholarships, more just simple awards to random honors societies or from the school like "Third Year Scholar."

Well I don't know about awards from honors societies since I am not actively involved in one, but the school hasn't given any awards out to me or anyone I know. Unless you count something like being a member of the honors program.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Besides scholarships and honor societies, you could include things like awards you've received for research or any publications.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:23 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Well I don't know about awards from honors societies since I am not actively involved in one, but the school hasn't given any awards out to me or anyone I know. Unless you count something like being a member of the honors program.

Things like if you're a Journalism major the School of Communications might give you special awards for outstanding work in your major. They give out a bunch of them at every school I've been around but you have to be active in the school's community to have a shot. You can't just go to class.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”