(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Decision2011

Postby Decision2011 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Last edited by Decision2011 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mala2

Re: Recently Diagnosed Medical Condition

Postby mala2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 pm

ug. this is not something I would have disclosed at all. No one wants a lawyer or a law student who can't handle stress.

CM612

Postby CM612 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:46 pm

mala2 wrote:ug. this is not something I would have disclosed at all. No one wants a lawyer or a law student who can't handle stress.

+1

That sucks for you and I do hope that you learn to manage it but the last thing you want to tell a school is that you have a medically diagnosed reason for chronic underperformance. It wouldn't help your case at all. Best of luck.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

OP, I think the two responses just prove how little most people know about GAD, what it actually is, and how difficult discussing it with people who don't understand it can be. As much as I dislike saying this, it is probably not in your best interest to disclose at this point, but please do continue getting help. It is a managable problem.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

paratactical wrote:OP, I think the two responses just prove how little most people know about GAD, what it actually is, and how difficult discussing it with people who don't understand it can be. As much as I dislike saying this, it is probably not in your best interest to disclose at this point, but please do continue getting help. It is a managable problem.

+1

And don't go get on meds, that'll just make it worse in the long run.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:
paratactical wrote:OP, I think the two responses just prove how little most people know about GAD, what it actually is, and how difficult discussing it with people who don't understand it can be. As much as I dislike saying this, it is probably not in your best interest to disclose at this point, but please do continue getting help. It is a managable problem.

+1

While I tend to agree with this statement, it's important to remember that medications affect everyone in different ways. Make the choices that are best with your doctors and good luck with dealing with this problem!

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:32 pm

+1 When I try to explain GAD to people that look at me like I am crazy or say 'just get over it" I agree though it not something you really should advertise. OP good luck to you!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I googled this condition. Based on what I read, you should not disclose, in my opinion. Maybe exercise, yoga or another non-medication oriented regimen can help.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

paratactical wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:

+1

While I tend to agree with this statement, it's important to remember that medications affect everyone in different ways. Make the choices that are best with your doctors and good luck with dealing with this problem!

I was mildly injured during a mugging a few years back and wound up with PTSD as a result. If anything, I learned not to talk about anxiety because I got so much negative feedback from others. ("Gee, you seem fine to me, I don't think you need therapy/meds," and, "It could have been worse, at least you weren't killed.") It made making decisions about my health much harder, and I came to fear criticism about the attack and my reaction to it, which made the anxiety worse. I worked things out with a counselor and a doctor and kept my experience private.

There are so many misconceptions about anxiety that I'd hate to see yourself set up for this type of talk and future headache with adcomms. Work with what you've got, get appropriate help, and good luck to you.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm

It's unfortunate to see these sorts of responses on a thread about a legitimate mental illness. Believe it or not, there are many successful lawyers with low to moderate mental illnesses. It is important to remember that your mental health is more important than what an adcomm will think about the disclosure. If you think staying private about your condition will work best for you, then do it. But, I also think that if you feel ok with being open about it then there's nothing wrong with that. You will certainly not be dinged for disclosing you have a mental health issue that clearly hasn't affected your ability to succeed on the LSAT and in school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I disagree. It is important to understand the initial reactions of those unfamiliar with your condition. This forum allows for genuine reactions rather than limiting one to politically correct responses. Honesty should be valued even if from an uniformed source--especially since the majority of people reading your applications may be unfamiliar with this condition.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I disagree. It is important to understand the initial reactions of those unfamiliar with your condition. This forum allows for genuine reactions rather than limiting one to politically correct responses. Honesty should be valued even if from an uniformed source--especiasaly since the majority of people reading your applications may be unfamiliar with this condition.

It's not important when these people are not adcomms. Adcomms see this sort of stuff on a regular basis. Adcomms are frequently being told about learning disabilities, mental health issues, etc. as reasons for poor performance at certain points in the lives of applicants.

It's also generally a moot point, as most schools feel fine taking the 161 and ignoring the 151.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:14 pm

I disagree with everything in your above two posts especially if you think that admissions officers ignore learning disabilities when making adsmissions decisions. The OP's point is disclosing would be as an explanation for poor performance.

sch6les

Postby sch6les » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Last edited by sch6les on Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masochist

Postby masochist » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:

+1

Don't take medical advice from the internet. The above is correct in some cases and incorrect in others.

Decision2011

Postby Decision2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”