Phoenix Law: New Beginnings?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gens1tb

Re: Phoenix Law: New Beginnings?

Postby gens1tb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Pneumatic wrote:So, I'm thinking about attending Phoenix law: a newly accredited law school in Phoenix, Arizona. The school has the highest bar passage rate in the state at 97% (much higher than the University of Arizona or Arizona state) and around 90% employment after 9 months. Essentially, my options are limited because of my low LSAT and high GPA, but a relocation to Phoenix sounds great. Should I take the risk of starting new beginnings at a hot newly accredited school in the center of a huge open market or play it safe and go to a traditional lower tier school closer to boring-old-home (Midwest) ?

Opinions greatly appreciated

I dunno, can Phoenix AdComms attend Phoenix? Seems like there would be some ethical problems there.

Fact: Candy, the lady that send out all those emails, is an adcomm AND a part time law student at Phoenix Law.

I was going to make a joke earlier in this thread about how the person ranked #1 in their class gets to be Dean of the law school, but now...

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:31 am

I can't believe the University of Phoenix has a law school.

HBK

Postby HBK » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:51 am

I remember getting those emails and thinking- Candy? Is she some kind of a stripper? Then I GIS'ed her, and she's not a bad looking administrator.

This may need to be in a different thread, but do any of you think that graduates of a newly accredited school would receive prejudice from practicing attorneys who feel that the newly opened diploma mills are over diluting the market?

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 am

beardown_tho wrote:I can't believe the University of Phoenix has a law school.

Seriously, and without investing any capital into it or even owning it in any way. Unbelievable.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:23 am

my cousin told me that his friend's brother went there and he has nothing but great things to say about it. Please do your research before posting this nonsense. My cousin is a Princeton Law graduate, so I obviously trust his opinion more than yours. Take your flaming elsewhere.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am

gothamm wrote:

my cousin told me that his friend's brother went there and he has nothing but great things to say about it. Please do your research before posting this nonsense. My cousin is a Princeton Law graduate, so I obviously trust his opinion more than yours. Take your flaming elsewhere.

not sure if serious

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
gothamm wrote:

not sure if serious

no. he cant be serious. Princeton Law? ......... my cousins friends brother?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 pm

northwood wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
gothamm wrote:

not sure if serious

lol I know

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 pm

androstan wrote:
Thread wrote:Phoenix Law

rofl

TITCR

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

northwood wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
gothamm wrote:

not sure if serious

:D

msu1077

Postby msu1077 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I am currently working as a paralegal in Las Vegas (just a couple hours from Phoenix), and find it hard to believe that the job market for lawyers is so horrible in Phoenix. In Vegas, there are many firms hiring attorneys, and the job market is only improving. Although this is anecdotal, I am familiar with one Phoenix Law grad who was actually managing counsel at an insurance staff counsel office in Las Vegas. I would say with 1/2 scholly or better, Phoenix Law is not nearly as bad as it is being painted in this and other threads.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:53 pm

msu1077 wrote:I am currently working as a paralegal in Las Vegas (just a couple hours from Phoenix), and find it hard to believe that the job market for lawyers is so horrible in Phoenix. In Vegas, there are many firms hiring attorneys, and the job market is only improving. Although this is anecdotal, I am familiar with one Phoenix Law grad who was actually managing counsel at an insurance staff counsel office in Las Vegas. I would say with 1/2 scholly or better, Phoenix Law is not nearly as bad as it is being painted in this and other threads.

What kind of stuff are you smoking? Also, what are you driving???

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:30 pm

RVP11 wrote:
msu1077 wrote:I am currently working as a paralegal in Las Vegas (just a couple hours from Phoenix), and find it hard to believe that the job market for lawyers is so horrible in Phoenix. In Vegas, there are many firms hiring attorneys, and the job market is only improving. Although this is anecdotal, I am familiar with one Phoenix Law grad who was actually managing counsel at an insurance staff counsel office in Las Vegas. I would say with 1/2 scholly or better, Phoenix Law is not nearly as bad as it is being painted in this and other threads.

Abuse of crack and LSD simultaneously seriously messes with your perception of reality. For instance, it might cause you think that a single person doing well for him/her self reflects on whatever school gave that individual the minimum credential s/he needed to enter his/her field of choice.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:31 pm

androstan wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Abuse of crack and LSD simultaneously seriously messes with your perception of reality. For instance, it might cause you think that a single person doing well for him/her self reflects on whatever school gave that individual the minimum credential s/he needed to enter his/her field of choice.

Massive RC Fail. Retake.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Pneumatic wrote:So, I'm thinking about attending Phoenix Law School... highest bar passage rate in the state at 97% (much higher than the University of Arizona or Arizona state)

I think that stat (actually 96%) is based on one year only (on LSAC site). Also, 96% is not "way higher" than U of AZ 92%, which I believe is also limited to that year. Further, U of AZ had 24 grads from the sample year test in CA (with over 85% passage- pretty good for CA), and 4 testers who took the WA bar with 100% passage rate. The students taking the bar out of state from U of Az probably tend to be some of the most capable in each class, so this implies that if those testers took the AZ bar the AZ passage rate would likely be higher.

Further, this may just highlight the fact that Phoenix Law focuses on training the students to take the bar in AZ, while the other schools take a more traditional approach and (at least for U of AZ) realize that 1/5 of each class will likely be testing and working out of state.

This doesn't even scratch the surface though on the qualitative differences that I am sure exist between the two established law schools in AZ v. Phoenix Law. I'm not saying it is necessarily a bad idea to go there, but I would try to be clear that the statistic you cited really does very little to mitigate the vast qualitative differences IMO. Also, if you go there I would definitely make sure you want to settle down in Phoenix (and hope you don't finish low in the class, because I imagine that even if you pass the bar you might not get a legal job in that case). Just my 2 cents- please take it or leave it.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:54 pm

This was not an entertaining flame. C (lawl skool curve of 3.4 median)

jkay

Postby jkay » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm

gothamm wrote:my cousin told me that his friend's brother went there and he has nothing but great things to say about it. Please do your research before posting this nonsense. My cousin is a Princeton Law graduate, so I obviously trust his opinion more than yours. Take your flaming elsewhere.

lawlzier

Postby lawlzier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Have you considered Wayne State? Despite the location, the have a strong alumni presence in Phoenix.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:17 pm

lawlzier wrote:Have you considered Wayne State? Despite the location, the have a strong alumni presence in Phoenix.

Everyone knows that's a xoxo flame.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:12 pm

RVP11 wrote:
lawlzier wrote:Have you considered Wayne State? Despite the location, the have a strong alumni presence in Phoenix.

Everyone knows that's a xoxo flame.

I wouldn't be so sure, I recently came across the bio of a real, live, WANE STATE BIGLAWYER in the Valley.

lawlzier

Postby lawlzier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:13 pm

RVP11 wrote:Everyone knows that's a xoxo flame.

It's exaggerated there, but like most rumors it's based on truth.

Michael_Vick

Postby Michael_Vick » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”