Phoenix Law: New Beginnings?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Stonewall

Re: Phoenix Law: New Beginnings?

Postby Stonewall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 am

"new beginnings" huh, sounds like the title of a show that would come on lifetime

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

Motherfuckin flame

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 am

Pneumatic wrote:So, I'm thinking about attending Phoenix law: a newly accredited law school in Phoenix, Arizona. The school has the highest bar passage rate in the state at 97% (much higher than the University of Arizona or Arizona state) and around 90% employment after 9 months. Essentially, my options are limited because of my low LSAT and high GPA, but a relocation to Phoenix sounds great. Should I take the risk of starting new beginnings at a hot newly accredited school in the center of a huge open market or play it safe and go to a traditional lower tier school closer to boring-old-home (Midwest) ?

Opinions greatly appreciated

I think moving 30 miles to go to Phoenix is insane much less moving from the Midwest! Go to any school in the T3 near your hometown, you already said you could get into T3/T4 type schools. Do not go to Phoenix, no matter what. Even my own grandmother told me not to go to Phoenix when she heard I was applying to law school, and I was never considering it (she saw a special about it being for-profit on TV).

Or if you aren't OK with the T3 option, retake.

This has to be a flame.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm getting this mixed up with the U of Phoenix as far as for-profit is concerned. But, same point: don't move there, stay in the Midwest and attend even a marginally better school.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 am

Why does it have to be a flame? Why do you guys have to berate anyone who is going to a school lower ranked than yours? What's wrong with you people on this site. Say:

No, Phoenix is a bad school. I think you should either attempt to improve your lsat score or reevaluate your decision to go to law school. If you absolutely feel as though you must go to law school, I think it would be best for you to go to the school that is the cheapest and closest to where you want to work. You should also understand the reality that you'll face at graduation. The economy is tough, and even graduates of the very best schools are struggling. Go with god my friend.

Then move on. These are regular people with dreams and hopes just like the rest of us. You present them with the facts, you give them responsible advice, then you move along. There is no need to point and laugh...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:36 am

The OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine, not sure why you're worried that others might think this is a flame. Also, I definitely wasn't "pointing and laughing," just giving my *opinion* and making it known that Phoenix is not a good school. Any T3 would be much more reputable than Phoenix.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 am

DeeCee wrote:The OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine, not sure why you're worried that others might think this is a flame. Also, I definitely wasn't "pointing and laughing," just giving my *opinion* and making it known that Phoenix is not a good school. Any T3 would be much more reputable than Phoenix.

Don't defend yourself. I would have quoted you if I was attacking your statements. I actually specifically chose not to quote you because I didn't want it to seem that way. My comments were general, and in reference to the attitude that is sometimes apparent on this site in general.

javancho

Postby javancho » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 am

The fact the University of Phoenix has started printing JDs illustrates the sorry state of the legal profession... Soon, a JD will be as prestigious e like a culinary degree.

Pneumatic

Postby Pneumatic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Why do people who "can't read fast enough and do logic at the same time" on the lsat think they can go to law school and do well?

Aren't law school exams all about "reading fast enough and doing logic at the same time" in a time pressured situation?

Isn't that what the LSAT is as well?

If you cant succeed at one, how can you succeed at the other?

Dumb question. LSAT is different than law school exams and there isn't the same intensity of logic. (e.g. there's no logic games on Law school exams). Additionally, plenty of people go to law school and are successful with my numbers.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:03 am

Pneumatic wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Why do people who "can't read fast enough and do logic at the same time" on the lsat think they can go to law school and do well?

Aren't law school exams all about "reading fast enough and doing logic at the same time" in a time pressured situation?

Isn't that what the LSAT is as well?

If you cant succeed at one, how can you succeed at the other?

Dumb question. LSAT is different than law school exams and there isn't the same intensity of logic. (e.g. there's no logic games on Law school exams). Additionally, plenty of people go to law school and are successful with my numbers.

Aqualibrium was standing up for you in the last post and you went ahead and blew it.

Don't go to Phoenix. Your chances of being successful will be very small.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 am

For the last time University of Phoenix has no affiliation with Phoenix Law. If you are going to bash a school, then at least get your facts straight.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:03 am

90% employment rate :D

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:35 am

rebexness wrote:
gothamm wrote:90% employment rate :D

10 people graduated, 9 got hired by the college to send out spam e-mails.

+1.

Seriously, people in this country have lost their ability to evaluate information critically. The University of Phoenix opened a law school, and people pay to go there?? Please.

Will the education scam end as ignominiously as the housing bubble?

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:01 am

niederbomb wrote:
rebexness wrote:

+1.

Seriously, people in this country have lost their ability to evaluate information critically. The University of Phoenix opened a law school, and people pay to go there?? Please.

:lol: Oh the irony...

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:05 am

OP seems to be intent on proving the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 am

overunderachiever wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
rebexness wrote:

+1.

You are really hell bent on making sure that people know that The University of Phoenix and Phoenix Law are two separate mediocre for profit institutions, huh?

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

Its more of the principle. TLS'ers often criticize or give advice when they are misinformed. I am not saying OP should go to Phoenix, but as I said before if you are going to bash a school then at least get your facts straight. Now reasons why not to attend Phoenix (some of which may have already been brought up):
1. Owned and operated by a corporation (Infilaw) who also owns Charlotte and Florida Coastal
2. Their attrition rate is 20%
3. Scholarships usually come with harsh stipulations
4. TTTT I believe they are only provisionally accredited

Retake and shoot for ASU. This time maybe instead of burning through 25+ PT's, try focusing on the techniques taught in the bibles? Just a thought...

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:37 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
overunderachiever wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
+1.

You are really hell bent on making sure that people know that The University of Phoenix and Phoenix Law are two separate mediocre for profit institutions, huh?

Well, it does make you seem like a needling little twerp when you bash people for being uninformed and then make a rash uninformed connection yourself. I thought the same thing at first, but did about a minute of due diligence before saying something. (I'm stuck on a conference call and bored).

That being said, that about 5 people made that instant connection does tell you something. Its a third tier without any alumni basis. It's owned by a conglomerate which also operates 3 other sub tier law schools. If anything else, it shows they do not care about saturation. They must know they're producing law students with nil legal opportunities. And they don't care. If they're not for-profit, I'd imagine they certainly walk the line.

On top of it, it has a name endowed with prestige on line with the disease of leprosy.

That they chose THAT name, again makes me question the law school's awareness.

And this is coming from someone who holds Dennis Archer in high regard (the school's Chairman and former Detroit mayor).

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 am

OP: A lot of people take the LSAT. Over half of them dont score a 151. IF you are dead set on going to law school, you need to consider taking a prep course, or getting a tutor, as self study isnt working. If you are unwilling to do this, then law school isnt for you. Even if you do take a prep course, you will have to work extremely hard during law school. Its not a cakewalk like UG. You will have to dedicate yourself, and focus.

Im a firm believer that everyone has a ceiling for the LSAT. Maybe you hit your ceiling. Maybe you just need some professional lsat assistance. FWIW- take a prep course, and take the test in june. If you dont score well enough to get into a decent school, then use the summer to figure out your next step. Give it your best shot, and do everything in your power, and you will have no regrets. Either way, you will be able to go to a decent school, or walk away holding your head high.

best of luck

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 am

Pneumatic wrote:So, I'm thinking about attending Phoenix law: a newly accredited law school in Phoenix, Arizona. The school has the highest bar passage rate in the state at 97% (much higher than the University of Arizona or Arizona state) and around 90% employment after 9 months. Essentially, my options are limited because of my low LSAT and high GPA, but a relocation to Phoenix sounds great. Should I take the risk of starting new beginnings at a hot newly accredited school in the center of a huge open market or play it safe and go to a traditional lower tier school closer to boring-old-home (Midwest) ?

I dunno, can Phoenix AdComms attend Phoenix? Seems like there would be some ethical problems there.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 pm

The homeless have a higher survival rate in Phoneix because of the warm winters. Your body doesn't have to burn as much energy to stay warm.

Joking aside, if you want to be a lawyer in Phoenix, retake and go to ASU

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I dunno, can Phoenix AdComms attend Phoenix? Seems like there would be some ethical problems there.

Fact: Candy, the lady that send out all those emails, is an adcomm AND a part time law student at Phoenix Law.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Fact: Candy, the lady that send out all those emails, is an adcomm AND a part time law student at Phoenix Law.

Umm, wtf?

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Fact: Candy, the lady that send out all those emails, is an adcomm AND a part time law student at Phoenix Law.

LOL. Must be some work-study program.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Thread wrote:Phoenix Law

rofl

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”