Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smittytron3k
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby smittytron3k » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 pm

between 30 and 40 percent of my 79-person section is jewish. we may be a plurality, even if you count the various christian denominations as one religion.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 pm

This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby mr_toad » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Wow. Not sure if it's scarier if OP is serious or thinks this is entertaining.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby SMA22 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:59 pm

lawfreak wrote:You're absolutely correct!!!! You are under-represented in the legal profession which is precisely why if I were on an admissions committee, I would not take you.


So basically your argument then supports not taking URM candidates on the basis that they are URM. That is to say, Jewish candidates will be more successful than AA or Mexican candidates because there are more of them. It defeats the purpose of a diversity initiative.

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:59 pm

dr123 wrote:I never understood dudes who were all jealous of polygamist, dealing with one womans @#!*% is hard enough. I couldn't imagine doing it for 5 different women at the same time


You can take comfort in knowing that, in your case, those five women would find the feeling is mutual.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 pm

dr123 wrote:I never understood dudes who were all jealous of polygamist, dealing with one womans shit is hard enough. I couldn't imagine doing it for 5 different women at the same time


Sometimes sacrafices are worth their benefits 8)

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby SMA22 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.


+1, thank you. This guy is a total flame.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby Emma. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Image

ImpatientlyWaiting
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby ImpatientlyWaiting » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:02 pm

I still think the OP is a troll. How can anyone seriously make the argument s/he is making? Admissions committees should be more lenient on over-represented groups? So in other words, we should make it easier for white males to get in than anyone else? And just forget about diversity altogether? Unbelievable.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 pm

The thing is, its very hard to question someones religious beliefs. You cant say you arent a ______________( insert faith) follower, because i havent seen you at the place of worship, follow the customs, etc. Or what about people who are registered in a faith group- but actually practice parts of multiple faiths? What are they? There are schools out there that are geared towards some faith groups, but in actuality all law schools are businesses. They want to make money, and they know one of the best ways to lose customers is to preach their faith. That will either make them not apply, or leave the school. There is no certain checklist that you can use for your faith to prove it.



The problem with these types of threads is that while you may have legitimately asked something that you are curious about, it has a high probability of turning into a s^&tshow. Race, and Religion are huge debatable topics, that can and often do become heated and may lead to argumetns and fights. The thing is, on the internet its very hard to tell if someone is being legit or sarcastic. Its best to just ponder these topics in your head, and move on to something else.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.


First - I had no intentions whatsoever (however you spell that) of crapping on anyones religion!! If that's the way you choose to interpret things then that's your problem!

Second - If I'm not mistaken, you are certainly not from the most popular people on this forum yourself Mr. dude who likes rubbing in peoples faces the fact that your tuition for law school is totally taken care of and cant give a fuck about what happens to everyone else in the world, so long as your ignorant ass is taken care of!!!!!! I think people should take a nice look at your history to determine who is the bigger troll :twisted:

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention mr.pap...... you're picture makes me want to vomit. Please change it.
Last edited by lawfreak on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:I still think the OP is a troll. How can anyone seriously make the argument s/he is making? Admissions committees should be more lenient on over-represented groups? So in other words, we should make it easier for white males to get in than anyone else? And just forget about diversity altogether? Unbelievable.


Essentially, yeah, that's what OP is arguing. That populations that are over-represented in the legal field are over-represented because they are somehow "better" laywers/law students than those that are underrepresented.

Illogical troll is illogical.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:08 pm

Religious affiliation can change very quickly and is hard to verify. It would be a mistake to base admissions on it.

Not interested in offering comments on the other issues connected with this thread. :D

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 pm

lawfreak wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.


First - I had no intentions whatsoever (however you spell that) of crapping on anyones religion!! If that's the way you choose to interpret things then that's your problem!

Second - If I'm not mistaken, you are certainly not from the most popular people on this forum yourself Mr. dude who likes rubbing in peoples faces the fact that your tuition for law school is totally taken care of and cant give a fuck about what happens to everyone else in the world, so long as your ignorant ass is taken care of!!!!!! I think people should take a nice look at your history to determine who is the bigger troll :twisted:


I will not start an argument about this. Yes, I am selfish, self-centered and egotistical but I do not hate on other people's personal beliefs. Your responses, on the other hand, are ignorant, hateful and crude.

And take a closer look at when I talk about how my LS education will be paid for. I mention it as a variable that will influence my decisions. I ask for advice with that variable in mind. It is not done to "rub it in people's faces." I do it because it influences the advice people are nice enough to provide.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:10 pm

If someone can find a religion that believes that people who make threads like this one go to the equivalent of Christianity's hell after they die, I want to sign up.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:If someone can find a religion that believes that people who make threads like this one go to the equivalent of Christianity's hell after they die, I want to sign up.


In eastern religions that place is pretty much the living world 8)

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.


First - I had no intentions whatsoever (however you spell that) of crapping on anyones religion!! If that's the way you choose to interpret things then that's your problem!

Second - If I'm not mistaken, you are certainly not from the most popular people on this forum yourself Mr. dude who likes rubbing in peoples faces the fact that your tuition for law school is totally taken care of and cant give a fuck about what happens to everyone else in the world, so long as your ignorant ass is taken care of!!!!!! I think people should take a nice look at your history to determine who is the bigger troll :twisted:


I will not start an argument about this. Yes, I am selfish, self-centered and egotistical but I do not hate on other people's personal beliefs. Your responses, on the other hand, are ignorant, hateful and crude.

Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 pm

lawfreak wrote:Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


No one accused you of insulting Jews. On the contrary, you actually claim that they are somehow more "deserving" of a good legal education because they have traditionally been over-represented in the legal field. Basically trashing any OTHER religion by saying that they are less worthy to study and practice law.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby mths » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

http://www.venganza.org/

I can haz boost?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:19 pm

lawfreak wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:This crapping on people's religions needs to stop right now. This is a forum on law school, not a place to devalue others religious beliefs.

This thread needs to end and OP needs to be banned. Look at his history and you'll see what I mean.


First - I had no intentions whatsoever (however you spell that) of crapping on anyones religion!! If that's the way you choose to interpret things then that's your problem!

Second - If I'm not mistaken, you are certainly not from the most popular people on this forum yourself Mr. dude who likes rubbing in peoples faces the fact that your tuition for law school is totally taken care of and cant give a fuck about what happens to everyone else in the world, so long as your ignorant ass is taken care of!!!!!! I think people should take a nice look at your history to determine who is the bigger troll :twisted:


I will not start an argument about this. Yes, I am selfish, self-centered and egotistical but I do not hate on other people's personal beliefs. Your responses, on the other hand, are ignorant, hateful and crude.

Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


Perhaps I was unclear. When I spoke of bashing others religions, I was not referring to you in this thread. I was referring to the Mormon-bashers (not including yourself).

I was basing my suggestion of your ban on your history of inciting threads like these.

Does "Status Checker Rapists Unite" ring a bell OP?
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 pm

kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


No one accused you of insulting Jews. On the contrary, you actually claim that they are somehow more "deserving" of a good legal education because they have traditionally been over-represented in the legal field. Basically trashing any OTHER religion by saying that they are less worthy to study and practice law.


What pills have you been swallowing lately!? Because I praise one religion, I hate all others!!!??? Don't think I do not see where you're trying to go with this you anti-semite!!!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 pm

OP is clearly a troll..and an annoying one at that

i usually am not too annoyed by trolls, but this one just tries too hard in an aggravating way

"lock please" +1

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:21 pm

lawfreak wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


No one accused you of insulting Jews. On the contrary, you actually claim that they are somehow more "deserving" of a good legal education because they have traditionally been over-represented in the legal field. Basically trashing any OTHER religion by saying that they are less worthy to study and practice law.


What pills have you been swallowing lately!? Because I praise one religion, I hate all others!!!??? Don't think I do not see where you're trying to go with this you anti-semite!!!


Oh my god, that is too hysterical to merit a response.

Lock please?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby Emma. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


No one accused you of insulting Jews. On the contrary, you actually claim that they are somehow more "deserving" of a good legal education because they have traditionally been over-represented in the legal field. Basically trashing any OTHER religion by saying that they are less worthy to study and practice law.


What pills have you been swallowing lately!? Because I praise one religion, I hate all others!!!??? Don't think I do not see where you're trying to go with this you anti-semite!!!


Oh my god, that is too hysterical to merit a response.

Lock please?


Mods are slow on the draw today. IBTL?

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Please show me where in this thread I mentioned anything that has to do with me hating Jews!!! To the contrary, i am very fond of them. I have many jewish friends and hold very highly of them you ignorant dumb troll!


No one accused you of insulting Jews. On the contrary, you actually claim that they are somehow more "deserving" of a good legal education because they have traditionally been over-represented in the legal field. Basically trashing any OTHER religion by saying that they are less worthy to study and practice law.


What pills have you been swallowing lately!? Because I praise one religion, I hate all others!!!??? Don't think I do not see where you're trying to go with this you anti-semite!!!


Oh my god, that is too hysterical to merit a response.

Lock please?



What, are you speechless now? Have I stunted you?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests