Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm

For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm

lawfreak wrote:For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?

Fail troll is fail.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby crit_racer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 pm

jew=ORM

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:For example Jews. Jews are definitely considered a minority, so why don't they have it easier when it comes to law school admissions as well?

Fail troll is fail.


Not sure what you're driving at buddy, cuz I certainly don't have any trolling intentions with this question!

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 pm

In the event that you aren't just trolling, I will attempt to explain. When we use the term "under-represented", we are not saying under-represented in society (i.e. we aren't asking if the group is a minority or not). Instead, a group is underrepresented in the legal field when the percentage of that group in the legal field is lower than the percentage of that group in society. For example, African Americans make up about 13% of the US population. However, the percentage of African American lawyers is lower than 13%. Thus, they are under-represented in the field. Jews, on the other hand, are about 2.5% of the US population. However, Jews make up FAR more than 2.5% of all lawyers. Thus, they are actually OVER-represented in the legal field compared to their percentage of the overall population. Therefore, there is no URM status attached to such a group. Hope this clarifies (unless of course you are just trolling)

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

dakatz wrote:In the event that you aren't just trolling, I will attempt to explain. When we use the term "under-represented", we are not saying under-represented in society (i.e. we aren't asking if the group is a minority or not). Instead, a group is underrepresented in the legal field when the percentage of that group in the legal field is lower than the percentage of that group in society. For example, African Americans make up about 13% of the US population. However, the percentage of African American lawyers is lower than 13%. Thus, they are under-represented in the field. Jews, on the other hand, are about 2.5% of the US population. However, Jews make up FAR more than 2.5% of all lawyers. Thus, they are actually OVER-represented in the legal field compared to their percentage of the overall population. Therefore, there is no URM status attached to such a group. Hope this clarifies (unless of course you are just trolling)


Thanks! Oh, and regarding your "concern" that I'm just trolling, you obviously did not bother to read my above comment about that.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:30 pm

anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion

gens1tb
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby gens1tb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 pm

On this topic - since you're saying that Jews represent a large slice of the legal profession, shouldn't that be reason alone for a school to give more leniency towards accepting Jews? Granted there are many prestigious Jewish lawyers, if I was on an admissions committee, I would be excited to see a Jew applying, wouldn't you?

And no, I a-m n-o-t t-r-y-i-n-g t-o be a t-r-o-l-l!!!!!! Is that better?

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby Ginj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

dr123 wrote:anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion


Actually, conversion to Judaism is a pretty complicated process...

...just sayin'.

However, saying one is of a certain religion...well, who can challenge that?
Last edited by Ginj on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby DeSimone » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 pm

gens1tb wrote:I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.

+1

IBTL

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby ahduth » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

gens1tb wrote:I'll admit it, I laughed at this topic.


Well then you've got some serious issues :lol:

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby Ginj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm

ahduth wrote:I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.


+1

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Ginj wrote:
dr123 wrote:anyone can just convert to a religion and really have as equal claim to it as people who were raised as that religion


Actually, conversion to Judaism is a pretty complicated process...

...just sayin'.

If Charlotte from Sex and the City did it, I can too!

ahduth wrote:I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

I highly doubt atheists are under-represented in the legal field.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby lawfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

ahduth wrote:I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.


You're absolutely correct!!!! You are under-represented in the legal profession which is precisely why if I were on an admissions committee, I would not take you. Contrarily, Jews which are reputable in the legal profession, would certainly perk my interest a lot more. Thanks for helping me drive my point for the slow people out there.

As a side, most Jews are not converts, and an admissions counselor (or whatever their called) can tell a true genuine Jew from a fake judging by their experiences and transfer credits from Jewsih institutions e.t.c. So it would be really dumb to convert to Judaism for those of you wierdos who were actually considering it (yeah right!! :lol: )

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too


Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:49 pm

nigelfrost wrote:
dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too


Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.


what do you mean those kinds of things? Why are people currently converting to mormonism without honest intentions, since there is no religious aa i dont really see what the upside of being mormon is unless you truly believe

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

dr123 wrote:
nigelfrost wrote:
dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too


Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.


what do you mean those kinds of things? Why are people currently converting to mormonism without honest intentions, since there is no religious aa i dont really see what the upside of being mormon is unless you truly believe


You'd be surprised.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

dr123 wrote:
nigelfrost wrote:
dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too


Yeah...speaking not only as a Mormon, but a Mormon who converted people: we usually vett those kinds of things. If this was your reason, you'd be miserable.


what do you mean those kinds of things? Why are people currently converting to mormonism without honest intentions, since there is no religious aa i dont really see what the upside of being mormon is unless you truly believe

They probably want six 14 year old wives.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

lawfreak wrote:
ahduth wrote:I'm an atheist - we're under-represented too.

Lock please.


You're absolutely correct!!!! You are under-represented in the legal profession which is precisely why if I were on an admissions committee, I would not take you. Contrarily, Jews which are reputable in the legal profession, would certainly perk my interest a lot more. Thanks for helping me drive my point for the slow people out there.

As a side, most Jews are not converts, and an admissions counselor (or whatever their called) can tell a true genuine Jew from a fake judging by their experiences and transfer credits from Jewsih institutions e.t.c. So it would be really dumb to convert to Judaism for those of you wierdos who were actually considering it (yeah right!! :lol: )


Unfunny troll or blithering moron. Either way, ban is appropriate.

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby nigelfrost » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:54 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:They probably want six 14 year old wives.


Whoops. Shouldn't have said THAT one.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

dr123 wrote:Regardless , if being jewish, mormon, jevoah's witness, or something would give my apps a substantial bump, id probably convert in a heart beat and I'd be willing to bet a lot of others would too


I would do anything to give my apps a substantial bump. But then again, I have no morality or values.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Why aren't certain religious sects considered URM?

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm

I never understood dudes who were all jealous of polygamist, dealing with one womans shit is hard enough. I couldn't imagine doing it for 5 different women at the same time




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ponderingmeerkat, UVA2B, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests