DANGIT I COMMITED THE CARDINAL SIN! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ClosetStateSchooler

DANGIT I COMMITED THE CARDINAL SIN! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

Postby ClosetStateSchooler » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:58 pm

So I was checking the status of one of my apps and noticed that the cell phone number on the application was misformatted when transferred from LSAC to the application and parentheses were entered in two of the number spaces. I put the same phone number for my home and work phone numbers so it is pretty evident that the cell phone number is the same! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?

rebexness

Re: DANGIT I COMMITED THE CARDINAL SIN! WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:59 pm

You really think that is the cardinal sin? Then I guess you don't know about the huge number of other (much worse) errors one could commit while filling out and sending a law school app. Just email the schools saying you noticed there might be a formatting error in your phone number and update them with the correct information as to ensure that they can properly contact you. It won't be a problem at all to them as long as you do it promptly.

swfangirl

Postby swfangirl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm failing to see the issue here. E-mail to correct. Or, they'll just call the number through one of the other ones. Um?

DamnLSAT

Postby DamnLSAT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm

dakatz wrote:You really think that is the cardinal sin? Then I guess you don't know about the huge number of other (much worse) errors one could commit while filling out and sending a law school app. Just email the schools saying you noticed there might be a formatting error in your phone number and update them with the correct information as to ensure that they can properly contact you. It won't be a problem at all to them as long as you do it promptly.

+1

I sent an application out with the wrong work number and emailed them the necessary change. They emailed me back in twenty minutes to say they had made the correction. That is not that big of a deal. Have you not heard of people applying to say Harvard and Yale and sending the wrong PS to one of them?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:15 pm

I wouldn't even e-mail them if the number is listed correctly in another slot. A lot of my apps have stupid errors like that on them, and a lot of them are b/c of the transfer from common app to primary app. I don't think they will hold it against you like they might, say, a typo on a personal statement.

EDIT: I have a somewhat related question. Do you guys think that the adcomms read through the historic/factual part of the application (i.e. address, phone numbers, etc) or do you think that secretaries/assistants just enter that info into a database and then give the adcomms the substantive portion of your app (CAS report, LSAT score, PS, resume, recs) to the adcomms?

DamnLSAT

Postby DamnLSAT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:30 pm

crit_racer wrote:I wouldn't even e-mail them if the number is listed correctly in another slot. A lot of my apps have stupid errors like that on them, and a lot of them are b/c of the transfer from common app to primary app. I don't think they will hold it against you like they might, say, a typo on a personal statement.

EDIT: I have a somewhat related question. Do you guys think that the adcomms read through the historic/factual part of the application (i.e. address, phone numbers, etc) or do you think that secretaries/assistants just enter that info into a database and then give the adcomms the substantive portion of your app (CAS report, LSAT score, PS, resume, recs) to the adcomms?

I think it just is entered into your file - probably straight ripped from your online application. They might check what town you are from, but I'd say that's about it.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 pm

is this a joke? Believe me brah, if you have the LSAT and the GPA, the fact that you messed something up with your phone numbers is irrelevant. end of story

ClosetStateSchooler

Postby ClosetStateSchooler » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for the insight. Regrettably I'm one of those think of the worst case scenario type of people. Plus, aren't the admissions committees full of people in huge cloaks with scythes? If only they would let me go back in time to fix the error like they let Peter fix his choice of not going to the movies with Lois.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm

ClosetStateSchooler wrote:Thanks for the insight. Regrettably I'm one of those think of the worst case scenario type of people. Plus, aren't the admissions committees full of people in huge cloaks with scythes? If only they would let me go back in time to fix the error like they let Peter fix his choice of not going to the movies with Lois.

I think the cardinal sin is a bit more like this poster's story - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=145987

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:09 pm

This is not the cardinal sin. I sent a targeted LOR to the wrong school -- that may be a cardinal sin.

Also, you'll be fine, just send an email to update the phone number.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 pm

dude chill out, just send them an email. FYI The cardinal sin for LS apps= putting the wrong school name in your PS.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:15 pm

The true cardinal sin of law school applications is lying on your app.

This isn't anywhere close to that. This is nothing. If they even notice it they'll probably just attribute it to a formatting error and move on. As long as they can read one of your phone numbers, or all the other ways to contact you are readable, it won't be a problem. Most schools will never have reason to call you anyway so it won't really matter.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Cardinal Sin? GTFO

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 am

k here's one:

how bad does it look when you end your ps by mentioning the law school, having never mentioned it in the rest of the ps?

for instance:

In conclusion, I would like to take the momentum I have generated so far and extend it to the (insert school name) law school

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:23 am

rebexness wrote:
gothamm wrote:k here's one:

how bad does it look when you end your ps by mentioning the law school, having never mentioned it in the rest of the ps?

for instance:

In conclusion, I would like to take the momentum I have generated so far and extend it to the (insert school name) law school

B-A-D.

stfuruserious? how bad?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 am

gothamm wrote:k here's one:

for instance:

Pretty typical

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:41 am

i realize its not good. But can't be detrimental can it?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 730 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 am

It's a big deal. Skip town.

aas911

Postby aas911 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:03 pm

what the fuck

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm

I was expecting a thread about killing your NU interviewer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:12 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've read in a while. Chill out dude, this isn't even a minor issue. Just email them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”