Disclosure mistake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
magicman554

Disclosure mistake

Postby magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 am

Let's say you sort of skimmed over the part of a disclosure question that asks specifically about traffic violations (because out of 20 apps, maybe only 3 schools actually care), and without thinking just checked "no" (i.e., "no, I'm not a criminal"). In reality, however, you received speeding tickets years ago, and paid fines. Let's say you got into said school, maybe with a scholly, and only after the fact realized your mistake. Then, to be honest and forthright, you call the school and explain what happened.

In such a case, is the school likely to retract its offer? Anecdotes are more helpful than speculation.

Stonewall

Re: Disclosure mistake

Postby Stonewall » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am

Over some speeding tickets I wouldn't think so. Maybe if it was moreso on the level of fraud, then you would be in danger (I think)

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:17 am

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:19 am

yale2011 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Let's say you sort of skimmed over the part of a disclosure question that asks specifically about traffic violations (because out of 20 apps, maybe only 3 schools actually care), and without thinking just checked "no" (i.e., "no, I'm not a criminal"). In reality, however, you received speeding tickets years ago, and paid fines. Let's say you got into said school, maybe with a scholly, and only after the fact realized your mistake. Then, to be honest and forthright, you call the school and explain what happened.

In such a case, is the school likely to retract its offer? Anecdotes are more helpful than speculation.

Probably not. But you need to call. Unless you wish to get screwed on C&F.

I certainly will; but what's C&F?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:21 am

magicman554 wrote:
yale2011 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Let's say you sort of skimmed over the part of a disclosure question that asks specifically about traffic violations (because out of 20 apps, maybe only 3 schools actually care), and without thinking just checked "no" (i.e., "no, I'm not a criminal"). In reality, however, you received speeding tickets years ago, and paid fines. Let's say you got into said school, maybe with a scholly, and only after the fact realized your mistake. Then, to be honest and forthright, you call the school and explain what happened.

What's C&F?

Character and Fitness for the bar. You should disclose and tell the schools you applied to that you did not intentionally hide the fines, but it has come to your attention that you might not have answered the questions on the application correctly.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:23 am

Unlikely you will be adversely affected by this. Just explain yourself in the same manner you just did, it was an oversight. You should be fine.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:24 am

DeeCee wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
yale2011 wrote:

What's C&F?

Character and Fitness for the bar. You should disclose and tell the schools you applied to that you did not intentionally hide the fines, but it has come to your attention that you might not have answered the questions on the application correctly.

Oh. Should I ask them to acknowledge this in writing (in case it comes up during C&F)?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 am

magicman554 wrote:Oh. Should I ask them to acknowledge this in writing (in case it comes up during C&F)?

Just make sure they note it in your file.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:27 am

magicman554 wrote:
Oh. Should I ask them to acknowledge this in writing (in case it comes up during C&F)?

I would think so, though I am a 0L so I do not have experience in this. Maybe you could call them and talk about it, and tell them you will follow up with an email or Word doc disclosing your situation, which they could then add to your file.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:32 am

they'll prob be fine with it. i had a similar mishap (not with c&f - some petty and dumb question). i was really nervous, and thought my scholly was done. the woman on the phone told me to relax, and that it won't influence anything.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

What about scholarships? What if you already renegotiated for more money out of a school, and then this came up? Actual experiences provide more insight than speculation.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

No, and you better make sure you do it before you go for C & F. They will fuck your shit up if you don't.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”