LSAT bash Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Adjudicator

Silver

Re: LSAT bash

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:13 am

Yeah man, if your GPA is really so amazing, go get a 175 on the LSAT like I did and get in to Harvard like I never will because I have a 3.0.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:15 am

question231 wrote:hence why im not saying the gpa is more important, but rather is should weighted 50/50
If only the top 2.5% of undergrad students got 4.0s, then it would be as impressive as a 170 and would rightly be weighted the same.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:31 am

question231 wrote:im not saying that this particular person doesnt deserve the admission, but when you see extreme splitters getting into t14 schools even when their gpa is around 3.1-3.2 it just doesnt make sense.

if a person doesnt have the ability to do well or the desire to put the time in in order to get an acceptable grade, then how do they deserve these acceptances
I was a poor undergrad performer due to an illness; my GPA dropped drastically during treatment for a year bringing me to a 3.2 overall GPA. (If I dropped out, I would have lose my health insurance, so I had to deal with bad grades.)

Remember this--you can improve on the LSAT; unfortunately, I have been and will always be locked out of my favorite schools because of something that happened eight years ago and cannot be changed. Life's not fair, but you can do something about it (work on your LSAT score.) I can't. Just something to put things into perspective.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am

SMA22 wrote:
question231 wrote:im not saying that this particular person doesnt deserve the admission, but when you see extreme splitters getting into t14 schools even when their gpa is around 3.1-3.2 it just doesnt make sense.

if a person doesnt have the ability to do well or the desire to put the time in in order to get an acceptable grade, then how do they deserve these acceptances
I was a poor undergrad performer due to an illness; my GPA dropped drastically during treatment for a year bringing me to a 3.2 overall GPA. (If I dropped out, I would have lose my health insurance, so I had to deal with bad grades.)

Remember this--you can improve on the LSAT; unfortunately, I have been and will always be locked out of my favorite schools because of something that happened eight years ago and cannot be changed. Life's not fair, but you can do something about it (work on your LSAT score.) I can't. Just something to put things into perspective.
I would think an addendum could really help out with that unless the school(s) you're applying to have a GPA floor. Especially since most schools count LSAT more than GPA.

I wrote an addendum for my horrible LSAT score and it has really helped. However, my low LSAT has been limiting and I plan on retaking if I'm not happy with this cycle.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 am

DeeCee wrote:
SMA22 wrote:

I would think an addendum could really help out with that unless the school(s) you're applying to have a GPA floor. Especially since most schools count LSAT more than GPA.

I wrote an addendum for my horrible LSAT score and it has really helped. However, my low LSAT has been limiting and I plan on retaking if I'm not happy with this cycle.
Most of the T14 has a UPGA floor (I got into NU, but that's it so far.) I've got the 170+ LSAT, but I'll not be able to overcome the UGPA hurdle. You guys can--go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Near

New

Post by Near » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 am

question231 wrote:cold diagnostics

if someone bangs out a 170 on their first cold diagnostic then that is something that is realllly impressive, but if you get a 163 and just take the test 1000 times and improve the 7 points it speaks less in my opinion

but the 170 is still very impressive as i am not bashing anyone who does very well on this test, but more on the system
I'm not sure improving to 170+ through practice is as easy as you're making it out to be OP. For those who can, I think their determination and ability to improve on very relevant skills more than compensates.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 am

question231 wrote:i just saw on LSN that a school that i got waitlisted at a person with a sub 3.0 gpa got in because their LSAT was 3 points higher

I dont understand how lsat can be such a great indicator of success in law school if people who cant even get/maintain a relatively easy gpa like a 3.0

The lsat puts certain people in a hole that is completely unjust. I work full time and go to school fulltime with a 3.7 gpa, yet because this person had the time to take 50 practice tests they show more potential then me? the lsat does not show any kind of real intelligence other then when you originally take and you get your diagnostic score. The rest of it is merely taking a million tests in order to do well on it.

sorry for the rage just things like this are a tad unfair
lulz

Get a good score, and then you can claim this.
question231 wrote:unless this person went to an ivy league school, then i mean comon.....
the people who take the hardest majors do not typically apply to law school but it is a huge mash of mostly, history, poly sci, and other majors in this area
There are plenty of science and engineering students in law school.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 am

parsi wrote:
question231 wrote:i just saw on LSN that a school that i got waitlisted at a person with a sub 3.0 gpa got in because their LSAT was 3 points higher

I dont understand how lsat can be such a great indicator of success in law school if people who cant even get/maintain a relatively easy gpa like a 3.0

The lsat puts certain people in a hole that is completely unjust. I work full time and go to school fulltime with a 3.7 gpa, yet because this person had the time to take 50 practice tests they show more potential then me? the lsat does not show any kind of real intelligence other then when you originally take and you get your diagnostic score. The rest of it is merely taking a million tests in order to do well on it.

sorry for the rage just things like this are a tad unfair
Retake

Lol
+1
parsi wrote:Can't you echo that statement for the lsat?
question231 wrote: if a person doesnt have the ability to do well or the desire to put the time in in order to get an acceptable LSAT, then how do they deserve these acceptances
+1
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:26 am

d34dluk3 wrote:

I agree, dude, this is a huge injustice. You should probably contact those people who spend 40 hours a week making admissions decisions and ask them how they overlooked such an obvious point.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:4) You can retake LSAT you can't retake GPA

5) You can fix lazy you can't fix stupid.
lol

+1
Desert Fox wrote:
question231 wrote:i just feel like the lsat is one day, and yes you can take it 3 times in 2 years but i mean there are the people who just have 3 bad days, i.e. scoring in the 170s on pts and ending up with a lower score, while when you are in undergrad you are taking around 40-45 classes while you are there and i just think that being able to succeed and do well when you are constantly tested, and tested while taking 4 other classes shows more academic potential

but then again im just a reverse splitter crying out so whatever at least i can admit that
Law school exams are 3 hours on one day. If someone is a choker they will probably choke on exams as well.
+1

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:33 am

JazzOne, did you really just make 4 meaningless posts in a row?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 am

Bildungsroman wrote:JazzOne, did you really just make 4 meaningless posts in a row?
Did you really just follow up my four meaningless posts with one of your own? If you don't like it, lump it. Why are 0Ls so insufferable?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:40 am

I'm going to have to disagree here and say that the LSAT does not measure intelligence. I also do not think GPA does. I think these numbers are mostly arbitrary and that they show what applicants can play the game the best (conform to teacher's expectations, test well, et cetera). I think as a country we focus too much on standardized testing, but at the same time we don't have a better thing to rely on other than this test.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:41 am

JazzOne wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:JazzOne, did you really just make 4 meaningless posts in a row?
Did you really just follow up my four meaningless posts with one of your own? The forum is entertainment. If you don't like it, lump it. 0Ls are insufferable.
Actually, this forum isn't entertainment; this is an on-topic forum. I'm not sure why my not being a law school student is relevant, but whatever gets you through the night.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Did you really just follow up my four meaningless posts with one of your own? The forum is entertainment. If you don't like it, lump it. 0Ls are insufferable.
Actually, this forum isn't entertainment; this is an on-topic forum. I'm not sure why my not being a law school student is relevant, but whatever gets you through the night.
+1

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
+1
lol

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:43 am

DOING IT RITE?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
It's entertainment for me. Again, if you don't like, I don't really give a damn. But it's pretty hypocritical for you to criticize my pointless posts by making a pointless post.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:45 am

Bildungsroman wrote:DOING IT RITE?
I hope you get OCI pwned. Good luck!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 am

JazzOne wrote:
I hope you get OCI pwned.
coolstorybro.jpg

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:48 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
coolstorybro.jpg
How original. :roll:

Couldn't break 170, huh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 am

DeeCee wrote:I'm going to have to disagree here and say that the LSAT does not measure intelligence. I also do not think GPA does. I think these numbers are mostly arbitrary and that they show what applicants can play the game the best (conform to teacher's expectations, test well, et cetera). I think as a country we focus too much on standardized testing, but at the same time we don't have a better thing to rely on other than this test.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 am

JazzOne wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
coolstorybro.jpg
How original. :roll:

Couldn't break 170, huh?
I wish I could go to an impressive school like the University of Texas.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I wish I could go to an impressive school like the University of Texas.
UT bashing? I really didn't think you could be a bigger douche, but you proved me wrong. Your distaste for me says nothing about the quality of a rising law school. Moron.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 am

I give up trying to post on-topic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”