Fall 2011 admissions with...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
runningzigzag

Fall 2011 admissions with...

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:12 pm

I am posting a question for a friend of mine who wants to go to law school this fall 2011...he realizes that he is past the date to take the February 2011 LSAT and he wants to study and take the June 2011 LSAT.

He wishes to stay close to home and apply to schools that are T-3 and T-4 only (he isn't concerned about scholarships or cost)...he is also applying to schools that operate on a rolling admissions basis and he called them and they said that they would gladly take his June 2011 score. His diagnostic is 150 and needs around 160 to secure himself in one of these schools.

P.S. He can't move because of his family issues...these are the only schools he wishes to apply to.

TommyK

Re: Fall 2011 admissions with...

Postby TommyK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

runningzigzag wrote:I am posting a question for a friend of mine who wants to go to law school this fall 2011...he realizes that he is past the date to take the February 2011 LSAT and he wants to study and take the June 2011 LSAT.

He wishes to stay close to home and apply to schools that are T-3 and T-4 only (he isn't concerned about scholarships or cost)...he is also applying to schools that operate on a rolling admissions basis and he called them and they said that they would gladly take his June 2011 score. His diagnostic is 150 and needs around 160 to secure himself in one of these schools.

P.S. He can't move because of his family issues...these are the only schools he wishes to apply to.

There was no question in this entire post.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

runningzigzag wrote:I am posting a question for a friend of mine who wants to go to law school this fall 2011...he realizes that he is past the date to take the February 2011 LSAT and he wants to study and take the June 2011 LSAT.

What are you asking? For confirmation that this is a terrible plan?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

He doesn't need a 160 to get into any T4, he can score significantly lower.

Whether or not he will be able to gain admission depends upon, before anything else, whether or not the school has an admissions deadline after the release of the June 2011 LSAT score.

Your "friend" called and was told he can still apply.

There are no questions left to be answered.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 pm

gens1tb wrote:He doesn't need a 160 to get into any T4, he can score significantly lower.

Whether or not he will be able to gain admission depends upon, before anything else, whether or not the school has an admissions deadline after the release of the June 2011 LSAT score.

You really think less than a 160? Especially that late in the game? I checked the schools websites myself tonight and they do accept the June LSAT for fall admission. So he was right. I was just looking for other opinions to offer him besides mine..thanks again to everyone.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Your "friend" needs to learn how to do research and plan ahead if he ever wants to get anywhere.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:53 pm

runningzigzag wrote:
gens1tb wrote:He doesn't need a 160 to get into any T4, he can score significantly lower.

You really think less than a 160? Especially that late in the game? I checked the schools websites myself tonight and they do accept the June LSAT for fall admission. So he was right. I was just looking for other opinions to offer him besides mine..thanks again to everyone.

Yes. If they have space, yes. A 160 seems like a waste for this endeavor. What's the urgency in going to law school anyway? It clearly wasn't important during normal application time and has only changed in the last, uh, few weeks. Or some exigent circumstances caused this, in which case why aren't those being dealt with rather than sinking oneself into crushing inescapable debt.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Your "friend" needs to learn how to do research and plan ahead if he ever wants to get anywhere.

Let's not be judgemental now ;)...I'm not and I certainly don't think its wise to apply this way either.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

gens1tb wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:

Yes. If they have space, yes. A 160 seems like a waste for this endeavor. What's the urgency in going to law school anyway? It clearly wasn't important during normal application time and has only changed in the last, uh, few weeks. Or some exigent circumstances caused this, in which case why aren't those being dealt with rather than sinking oneself into crushing inescapable debt.

His father died a few weeks ago and his families long-term future is in the air...they own a very large medical malpractice law firm and are quite successful. The son has always thought about law school (in his past) and has now decided to take the plunge. He figures now or never. His cousin is left to run it for the next several years...until he (my friend) finishes law school and passes the bar.

I guess people do whatever is necessary in a bad situation like this...so he must take the June LSAT and try to get in for Fall admissions...since you must know.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Sounds like he has it made. Sorry about his dad though.

P.S. How the heck do you have 84 posts on this site if you are asking a question about your "friend"? Do you come on this site to get answers for several other friends as well? Just curious. Not trying to be a dick.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Your friend's situation seems eerily similar to the one you posted about in November.

runningzigzag wrote:First, I don't need the scholarship money...I am able to finance my schooling in cash--no loans and zero debt.

Second, I don't want to put my life on hold for another year, because I just turned 33 and I'll be 36 when I get out of law school. So I'm not some younger kid who is 22 or 23 and cannot exactly wait another cycle.

See my point now? There has got to be a way to score well in February and still get into a T-3 or T-4 that has rolling admissions.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Why am I not surprised.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Cool story bro.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks everyone for calling me basically a liar and shadey...My friend Paul really does exsist and is alive and well...

As for me (I can see some of you have stalked me and looked at my previous posts)...I ended up taking the December LSAT and got into a T-3. And yes, I happen to do have a solid financial past...so what? So things worked out well on my end.

Now I have 85 posts...so what?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Thanks everyone for calling me basically a liar and shadey...My friend Paul really does exsist and is alive and well...

As for me (I can see some of you have stalked me and looked at my previous posts)...I ended up taking the December LSAT and got into a T-3. And yes, I happen to do have a solid financial past...so what? So things worked out well on my end.

They are just picking on you because you said "my friend." It is well-known that people will say my friend when the story is really about them, so that others do not look at them in a bad light. I learned this the hard way when I tried to get my friend help for her eating disorder, and every time I tried to talk to someone about it they thought it was me (and it wasn't). Don't say "my friend" and you'll be fine.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:Thanks everyone for calling me basically a liar and shadey...My friend Paul really does exsist and is alive and well...

They are just picking on you because you said "my friend." It is well-known that people will say my friend when the story is really about them, so that others do not look at them in a bad light. I learned this the hard way when I tried to get my friend help for her eating disorder, and every time I tried to talk to someone about it they thought it was me (and it wasn't). Don't say "my friend" and you'll be fine.

Sorry about your friend...at least you tried to help her out and that was very nice of you :) I hope she is better now.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 am

runningzigzag wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Sorry about your friend...at least you tried to help her out and that was very nice of you :) I hope she is better now.

Yeah, sorry about your "friend". I hope you she is okay now.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 pm

androstan wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Yeah, sorry about your "friend". I hope you she is okay now.

It's not about me, seriously, and it's not a joke as she almost died.

Anyway runningzigzag, as you can see you can't use the "my friend" thing or people will just give you a hard time about it. And thanks for the nice words. :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”