Application & Resume - Please Help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2011Law

Application & Resume - Please Help

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm

I just sent and paid for my application to three schools: Cornell, Davis, and Southern California. I did not include my resume for any of them. I still put all the relevant information in the application, and there is really nothing else I could add to what was put. A separate resume would literally just be a restating of the info already in the application.

Will they not even consider the application if the resume is missing?

*** EDIT: I just emailed the resume to the admissions office, no problems at all.
Last edited by 2011Law on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2011Law

Re: Application & Resume - Very Important

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

bump

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 pm

2011Law wrote:I just sent and paid for my application to three schools: Cornell, Davis, and Southern California. I did not include my resume for any of them. I still put all the relevant information in the application, and there is really nothing else I could add to what was put. A separate resume would literally just be a restating of the info already in the application.

If the schools request a resume with applications, yes, you are likely pretty well screwed. Law schools don't appreciate it when people ignore simple instructions. They'll see plenty of equally-qualified applicants who did manage to follow the directions, so why would they accept someone who didn't?

However, USC is the only one of those three with a definite resume requirement that I see, just quickly glancing at the app forms. It's on the big grey checklist box right at the top: http://lawweb.usc.edu/assets/docs/how/f ... le2011.pdf

That said, I submitted a resume with every app, whether it was asked for or not. For one thing, I always have an up-to-date resume already on my hard drive. For another, there's no way I could properly describe my work experience in the tiny boxes on the app forms.

Email the admissions offices and inquire as to the best way to add a resume (which you, of course, "accidentally omitted") to your app.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I would've attached the resume. Unless you've done almost nothing with your life, there's got to be stuff on your resume that you could but that didn't make it on the app.

Just send the resume to the schools and say, "Oh sorry!"

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
2011Law wrote:I just sent and paid for my application to three schools: Cornell, Davis, and Southern California. I did not include my resume for any of them. I still put all the relevant information in the application, and there is really nothing else I could add to what was put. A separate resume would literally just be a restating of the info already in the application.

If the schools request a resume with applications, yes, you are likely pretty well screwed. Law schools don't appreciate it when people ignore simple instructions. They'll see plenty of equally-qualified applicants who did manage to follow the directions, so why would they accept someone who didn't?

However, USC is the only one of those three with a definite resume requirement that I see, just quickly glancing at the app forms. It's on the big grey checklist box right at the top: http://lawweb.usc.edu/assets/docs/how/f ... le2011.pdf

That said, I submitted a resume with every app, whether it was asked for or not. For one thing, I always have an up-to-date resume already on my hard drive. For another, there's no way I could properly describe my work experience in the tiny boxes on the app forms.

It says it on the checklist at the top, but on the last page in Section 5 Additional Information it lists two required forms: the PS and LORs, saying nothing about the resume being required. Maybe its not?

Damn I feel like a f*ck up right now. Rushed to finish polishing my PS today and wanted to send out to the schools with the 2/1 deadline.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm

2011Law wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

It says it on the checklist at the top, but on the last page in Section 5 Additional Information it lists two required forms: the PS and LORs, saying nothing about the resume being required. Maybe its not?

Damn I feel like a f*ck up right now. Rushed to finish polishing my PS today and wanted to send out to the schools with the 2/1 deadline.

Always err on the side of caution. I also sent a C&F disclosing my 2 traffic tickets to every school, whether they cared about traffic tickets or not.

I added this to my original reply, but here it is again in case you didn't see it: Email the admissions offices and inquire as to the best way to add a resume (which you, of course, "accidentally omitted") to your app.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:15 pm

NZA wrote:I would've attached the resume. Unless you've done almost nothing with your life, there's got to be stuff on your resume that you could but that didn't make it on the app.

lol, was writing this: "I haven't done anything with my life that wasn't included in the app, they have the spots for employment and"

literally realized right then that I don't think the apps ask about extracurriculars. I was president of a club. I put that in the PS, hell it was a significant part of the PS. Other than the club there's nothing to add. Cornell and USC were reaches already. I guess I just shot myself in the foot?

fml... $150 down the drain?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:16 pm

2011Law wrote:
NZA wrote:I would've attached the resume. Unless you've done almost nothing with your life, there's got to be stuff on your resume that you could but that didn't make it on the app.

lol, was writing this: "I haven't done anything with my life that wasn't included in the app, they have the spots for employment and"

literally realized right then that I don't think the apps ask about extracurriculars. I was president of a club. I put that in the PS, hell it was a significant part of the PS. Other than the club there's nothing to add. Cornell and USC were reaches already. I guess I just shot myself in the foot?

Nah, dude, just email the schools and attach the resume and say you forgot to attach it. No big deal. Just do it really soon.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

NZA wrote:
2011Law wrote:

Nah, dude, just email the schools and attach the resume and say you forgot to attach it. No big deal. Just do it really soon.

I mean, I'll do it monday, but the deadlines for these schools are Tuesday. damn I feel stupid

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:20 pm

2011Law wrote:
NZA wrote:
2011Law wrote:

I mean, I'll do it monday, but the deadlines for these schools are Tuesday. damn I feel stupid

Don't worry too much about it. There's not a hell of a lot you can do aside from fixing the problem, so focus on that. Plus, I doubt it's that much of a big screw up in the first place.

gens1tb

Re: Application & Resume - Please Help

Postby gens1tb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 pm

I didn't attach a resume to an application. I called, asked what method/format they would prefer it. They told me, I sent it.

It did not affect my admission. I was not an auto-admit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”