What to do for each school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DeeCee

What to do for each school

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:22 pm

I have a general question about what to do when you are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected from each school. Must you withdraw from every school you do not plan to attend by the end of the cycle? Obviously you are "withdrawn" after being rejected, and no further action needs to be taken. But what about acceptances? Let them know, or do they assume and automatically withdraw you when you don't pay that seat deposit? Also with WL, if you do not let the school know you want to be taken off the list does the school just release you after a certain period of time? TIA.

joebloe

Re: What to do for each school

Postby joebloe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:10 pm

I'd actively withdraw just not to be a dick to other applicants. I don't know how long you have to commit to an acceptance, but letting the clock run on those makes things slower for other people under consideration and wastes time for the adcomms.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Withdraw when you know for sure that you will not be attending. That way, they can get to their waitlist.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:08 pm

kalvano wrote:Withdraw when you know for sure that you will not be attending. That way, they can get to their waitlist.

+1

...especially if you were offered scholarships... that way they can offer that money to others who need it.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 pm

joebloe wrote:I'd actively withdraw just not to be a dick to other applicants. I don't know how long you have to commit to an acceptance, but letting the clock run on those makes things slower for other people under consideration and wastes time for the adcomms.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Withdraw when you know for sure that you will not be attending. That way, they can get to their waitlist.

+1

...especially if you were offered scholarships... that way they can offer that money to others who need it.

That is not necessarily true. They offer more money than they can afford to pay, so they expect a large number to withdraw. So unless more people withdraw than is expected, no additional admissions or $ offer will be given out to others.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”