Law School Deception

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby rose711 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
smears wrote:Wait a second.....are you telling me that sitting through another 3 years of college wont guarantee that I'm going to have a ridiculous salary and tons of prestige?

I thought that surely 3 more years of college and the world would just fall in my lap.

I'm totally disappointed now. Thanks for letting me know.


This post is basically the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling. The 0Ls around here love to play the "I know what I'm getting into" card. "I know I'm not guaranteed anything. I know I'll have to hustle." You're really missing the point.

I'm a 3L with a good job lined up. You know who doesn't have a job lined up though? Almost every single 3L I know. I'm not talking about lots of money and prestige, I'm talking about A JOB. AT ALL. Our career center people are actually telling students that they expect only 20% to have a job on graduation. And that's what career services is telling us, so I assume it's slightly inflated. What are you going to come back with, a sarcastic post that you're shocked law school only gives you a 20% shot at a job? Because my guess is if you graduated jobless you actually would be shocked, regardless of what you may say.

If you're on your way to a better school than I attend, more power to you. Even at NYU and Columbia people are graduating jobless. And that's ignoring all the people who got jobs and were then laid off.

Just because you know law school stats are inflated doesn't mean you know what's up.

+1

Well said. But would you have believed it before OCI? I did not.


I wonder if it is worth it to try to make a consolidated thread where 3Ls can post their experiences? Something like a compilation of anecdotal evidence which might give a more accurate reflection of the job percentages?
I don't know if accurate data about the job status of 3L's and the OCI experience is posted anywhere on any site?

I hope people listen to these valid concerns, it is almost impossible to warn someone of danger, but with the large amounts of money involved, people have to be cautious. I know that sometimes there can be a tone of "these people are just trying to discourage the competition from new law students" but I think most people can tell when people are sincerely trying to help.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 am

Okay, in all seriousness... I get what the 3Ls are saying... There are extremely low job prospects for graduating attorneys. However, what the hell else am I gonna do?

1. Like a lot of law school hopefuls, I have a degree in Political Science. POLITICAL SCIENCE. What kind of job does one get with that, exactly?

2. I'm 31 years old. I've been working as a paralegal for four and a half years. I suppose I could continue working as a paralegal, but in about 5 years from now I will have reached the ceiling of my earning potential as such.... Paralegals generally top out at around 45-50K per year with benefits. Very rarely do I come into contact with a paralegal (even a highly experienced one) who makes a whole lot more than that. Where does one go from paralegal? How do I move up from here?

3. Since I have been working with attorneys for a few years now, I've already been networking. I've got a jump on it because I've already gotten to show a few people what I can do. I know two attorneys right now who would be willing to let me join them after graduation. (No these are not BigLaw prospects, but they're a way for me to gain some experience while making somewhat of an income).

I'm not saying my case is typical. Maybe all the warnings are directed more for younger, inexperience, 0Ls with no concept of the realities of becoming an attorney. But either way, realize that not ALL of us are going in with our eyes closed. For some of us, law school really is the next logical step in our lives.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 am

rose711 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
smears wrote:Wait a second.....are you telling me that sitting through another 3 years of college wont guarantee that I'm going to have a ridiculous salary and tons of prestige?

I thought that surely 3 more years of college and the world would just fall in my lap.

I'm totally disappointed now. Thanks for letting me know.


This post is basically the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling. The 0Ls around here love to play the "I know what I'm getting into" card. "I know I'm not guaranteed anything. I know I'll have to hustle." You're really missing the point.

I'm a 3L with a good job lined up. You know who doesn't have a job lined up though? Almost every single 3L I know. I'm not talking about lots of money and prestige, I'm talking about A JOB. AT ALL. Our career center people are actually telling students that they expect only 20% to have a job on graduation. And that's what career services is telling us, so I assume it's slightly inflated. What are you going to come back with, a sarcastic post that you're shocked law school only gives you a 20% shot at a job? Because my guess is if you graduated jobless you actually would be shocked, regardless of what you may say.

If you're on your way to a better school than I attend, more power to you. Even at NYU and Columbia people are graduating jobless. And that's ignoring all the people who got jobs and were then laid off.

Just because you know law school stats are inflated doesn't mean you know what's up.

+1

Well said. But would you have believed it before OCI? I did not.


I wonder if it is worth it to try to make a consolidated thread where 3Ls can post their experiences? Something like a compilation of anecdotal evidence which might give a more accurate reflection of the job percentages?
I don't know if accurate data about the job status of 3L's and the OCI experience is posted anywhere on any site?

I hope people listen to these valid concerns, it is almost impossible to warn someone of danger, but with the large amounts of money involved, people have to be cautious. I know that sometimes there can be a tone of "these people are just trying to discourage the competition from new law students" but I think most people can tell when people are sincerely trying to help.



There is a thread in the employment forum where Columbia 2L's go crazy about OCI results.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 am

Leira7905 wrote:Okay, in all seriousness... I get what the 3Ls are saying... There are extremely low job prospects for graduating attorneys. However, what the hell else am I gonna do?

1. Like a lot of law school hopefuls, I have a degree in Political Science. POLITICAL SCIENCE. What kind of job does one get with that, exactly?

2. I'm 31 years old. I've been working as a paralegal for four and a half years. I suppose I could continue working as a paralegal, but in about 5 years from now I will have reached the ceiling of my earning potential as such.... Paralegals generally top out at around 45-50K per year with benefits. Very rarely do I come into contact with a paralegal (even a highly experienced one) who makes a whole lot more than that. Where does one go from paralegal? How do I move up from here?

3. Since I have been working with attorneys for a few years now, I've already been networking. I've got a jump on it because I've already gotten to show a few people what I can do. I know two attorneys right now who would be willing to let me join them after graduation. (No these are not BigLaw prospects, but they're a way for me to gain some experience while making somewhat of an income).

I'm not saying my case is typical. Maybe all the warnings are directed more for younger, inexperience, 0Ls with no concept of the realities of becoming an attorney. But either way, realize that not ALL of us are going in with our eyes closed. For some of us, law school really is the next logical step in our lives.


I totally sympathize with this, and I went to law school under somewhat similar conditions (dead-end job, degree that wouldn't get me far, older, etc.). I do think your maturity and work experience will help you deal with things, just like it helped me. And as I said, I'm not here to gripe. I have a job and low debt and I'm pretty happy with my situation. But I'm very fortunate in that way and I hear a lot of my classmates constantly talking about how much remorse they feel and it's painful to see.

I would say you have a few options. You may have heard the first part before: if you're going to do school, don't pay full price for anything but a top school. If you're not going to at least go to a T14 (or the top school in a particular state/regional market), take scholarship. I wouldn't dip below tier 2, but otherwise take the money. If you're going to a tier 2, I might also consider a part-time program while continuing to work if I were you.

A second option would be to wait a little longer before going to school and see if the economy seems like it's recovering. Remember that a lot of hiring is done after the first year, and that law firms tend to be conservative with their hiring outlook, so if things still look a little shaky a year from your start, they're going to be careful and hire small classes. Law school application numbers are finally dropping, so maybe the competition will get a little easier.

A third option might be to look at other legal services jobs. Admittedly, I am kind of talking out of my ass here because I don't know a lot about it, but there are all kinds of legal consulting, legal outsourcing and legal information companies out there, and maybe there's something for smart people with paralegal experience.

Don't know whether any of this helps. It's rough out there no matter what field you're in right now, but I don't think that's a good reason to make a bad financial decision that will saddle you with unrepayable debt.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby A&O » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 pm

I'd also like to point out that this author is pretty hypocritical..


Are you acting dumb? The author apparently entered a big firm in 1980. That was a long time ago, when law firm leverage was lower, average educational debt was way lower, and the odds of making partner were a lot higher (though still very low at the end of the day). He got in when the times were good. There is no hypocrisy at all in this. The problems about which he is complaining simply did not exist when he took the job.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Okay, in all seriousness... I get what the 3Ls are saying... There are extremely low job prospects for graduating attorneys. However, what the hell else am I gonna do?

1. Like a lot of law school hopefuls, I have a degree in Political Science. POLITICAL SCIENCE. What kind of job does one get with that, exactly?

2. I'm 31 years old. I've been working as a paralegal for four and a half years. I suppose I could continue working as a paralegal, but in about 5 years from now I will have reached the ceiling of my earning potential as such.... Paralegals generally top out at around 45-50K per year with benefits. Very rarely do I come into contact with a paralegal (even a highly experienced one) who makes a whole lot more than that. Where does one go from paralegal? How do I move up from here?

3. Since I have been working with attorneys for a few years now, I've already been networking. I've got a jump on it because I've already gotten to show a few people what I can do. I know two attorneys right now who would be willing to let me join them after graduation. (No these are not BigLaw prospects, but they're a way for me to gain some experience while making somewhat of an income).

I'm not saying my case is typical. Maybe all the warnings are directed more for younger, inexperience, 0Ls with no concept of the realities of becoming an attorney. But either way, realize that not ALL of us are going in with our eyes closed. For some of us, law school really is the next logical step in our lives.


I totally sympathize with this, and I went to law school under somewhat similar conditions (dead-end job, degree that wouldn't get me far, older, etc.). I do think your maturity and work experience will help you deal with things, just like it helped me. And as I said, I'm not here to gripe. I have a job and low debt and I'm pretty happy with my situation. But I'm very fortunate in that way and I hear a lot of my classmates constantly talking about how much remorse they feel and it's painful to see.

I would say you have a few options. You may have heard the first part before: if you're going to do school, don't pay full price for anything but a top school. If you're not going to at least go to a T14 (or the top school in a particular state/regional market), take scholarship. I wouldn't dip below tier 2, but otherwise take the money. If you're going to a tier 2, I might also consider a part-time program while continuing to work if I were you.

A second option would be to wait a little longer before going to school and see if the economy seems like it's recovering. Remember that a lot of hiring is done after the first year, and that law firms tend to be conservative with their hiring outlook, so if things still look a little shaky a year from your start, they're going to be careful and hire small classes. Law school application numbers are finally dropping, so maybe the competition will get a little easier.

A third option might be to look at other legal services jobs. Admittedly, I am kind of talking out of my ass here because I don't know a lot about it, but there are all kinds of legal consulting, legal outsourcing and legal information companies out there, and maybe there's something for smart people with paralegal experience.

Don't know whether any of this helps. It's rough out there no matter what field you're in right now, but I don't think that's a good reason to make a bad financial decision that will saddle you with unrepayable debt.


This is all good advice for someone, but....

1. I'm in at U of Texas... plan on going there. T15. I won't have to sell my house cause it's close enough to commute and the COL where I am is pretty low comparatively speaking.

2. You're missing an important point of what I've said above. I'm not going to law school because I have few job prospects. I'm going to law school because everything I've done for the last 7 years of my life has been for the sole purpose of eventually going to law school. I didn't just decide to do this one day because I saw an episode of law and order and didn't have any better plans for my liberal arts education. I've been working for this for an incredibly long time.... while raising a child I might add.

My point is, I agree that not everyone should go to law school. But really, wait another year at my age? No thanks.

Other legal jobs? Trust me, there aren't any. Beyond paralegal, there is attorney. That's it. There may be a few jobs out there in between, but guess what? I'd be competing with jobless law school grads for those too.

I suppose I could go back to school for something else... go be a nurse or whatever the hell people do... but I'd still be looking at many tens of thousands of dollars of debt. And, I'd be doing something I'm not at all interested in.

I don't know man, but from where I'm sitting, I think law school is the best thing I have going for me.

But, again, that's me. That's not to say that law school is for everyone.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:08 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:lol @ all the people ITT masking their insecurity with knowing sarcasm

+1.

Also, I sure hope articles like this aren't white noise. When students and TLSers tell you how poor of an investment law school is, I can (sort of) understand ignoring it. But when it is coming from law professors and practicing attorneys, you better listen or you deserve every bit of misfortune that lies in front of you.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:This post is basically the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling. The 0Ls around here love to play the "I know what I'm getting into" card. "I know I'm not guaranteed anything. I know I'll have to hustle." You're really missing the point.

I'm a 3L with a good job lined up. You know who doesn't have a job lined up though? Almost every single 3L I know. I'm not talking about lots of money and prestige, I'm talking about A JOB. AT ALL. Our career center people are actually telling students that they expect only 20% to have a job on graduation. And that's what career services is telling us, so I assume it's slightly inflated. What are you going to come back with, a sarcastic post that you're shocked law school only gives you a 20% shot at a job? Because my guess is if you graduated jobless you actually would be shocked, regardless of what you may say.

If you're on your way to a better school than I attend, more power to you. Even at NYU and Columbia people are graduating jobless. And that's ignoring all the people who got jobs and were then laid off.

Just because you know law school stats are inflated doesn't mean you know what's up.

This is an absolutely fantastic post. I really hope you 0Ls read it and listen.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:lol @ all the people ITT masking their insecurity with knowing sarcasm

+1.

Also, I sure hope articles like this aren't white noise. When students and TLSers tell you how poor of an investment law school is, I can (sort of) understand ignoring it. But when it is coming from law professors and practicing attorneys, you better listen or you deserve every bit of misfortune that lies in front of you.


Giving fair warning is fine. I have read this article and many others like it. I have also been working in the legal community for several years. Every attorney I know has encouraged me to go to law school. They seem to think I'm making a good choice.... weird.

I am aware of the risks, the "white noise" comment was directed towards the fact that I've read/heard it and have made my decisions already. Stoping at this stage of the game would probably hurt me more than it would help.

To say that someone deserves misfortune because they want to go to law school despite the advice against it, is pompous and rude.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 pm

@ Leira: you sound like you have a better shot at coming out of this ok than most people. U-T is kind of an ideal school imo -- best in its state, top 15, cheaper than private especially if you're a resident (which it sounds like you are). Do well there and you have a decent shot at a career, especially if you know what the industry is about and have contacts. There is risk but it's not overwhelming. If it were primarily people like you going to law school I wouldn't even be posting warnings. But you're the exception.

Since you've worked a lot and really want to do this, I also assume you'll be focused going in. That doesn't guarantee you'll do well on a curve, but it certainly improves your chances.

Well, good luck in any case.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:lol @ all the people ITT masking their insecurity with knowing sarcasm

+1.

Also, I sure hope articles like this aren't white noise. When students and TLSers tell you how poor of an investment law school is, I can (sort of) understand ignoring it. But when it is coming from law professors and practicing attorneys, you better listen or you deserve every bit of misfortune that lies in front of you.


Giving fair warning is fine. I have read this article and many others like it. I have also been working in the legal community for several years. Every attorney I know has encouraged me to go to law school. They seem to think I'm making a good choice.... weird.

I am aware of the risks, the "white noise" comment was directed towards the fact that I've read/heard it and have made my decisions already. Stoping at this stage of the game would probably hurt me more than it would help.

To say that someone deserves misfortune because they want to go to law school despite the advice against it, is pompous and rude.

I think you're an exception, Leira. Having worked in the industry, you are in a position to determine your tolerance level for that kind of work. Plus, you probably have a better idea of what's at stake. But I disagree with your assessment that it's pompous to be cynical toward the waves of people who ignore the piling evidence that law school is a poor investment. I would include myself in that group. If I had struck out at OCI, I wasn't going to get any sympathy from anyone because I was warned and I arrogantly charged ahead anyway. BTW, I was in a situation very similar to yours. I was in my young 30s when I applied. I had been working dead-end jobs for nearly a decade. And I had been planning my applications for several years before I made the jump. Oh, and I'm a 2L at UT. Also, minimize debt. That's my advice.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:39 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:lol @ all the people ITT masking their insecurity with knowing sarcasm

+1.

Also, I sure hope articles like this aren't white noise. When students and TLSers tell you how poor of an investment law school is, I can (sort of) understand ignoring it. But when it is coming from law professors and practicing attorneys, you better listen or you deserve every bit of misfortune that lies in front of you.


Giving fair warning is fine. I have read this article and many others like it. I have also been working in the legal community for several years. Every attorney I know has encouraged me to go to law school. They seem to think I'm making a good choice.... weird.

I am aware of the risks, the "white noise" comment was directed towards the fact that I've read/heard it and have made my decisions already. Stoping at this stage of the game would probably hurt me more than it would help.

To say that someone deserves misfortune because they want to go to law school despite the advice against it, is pompous and rude.

I think you're an exception, Leira. Having worked in the industry, you are in a position to determine your tolerance level for that kind of work. Plus, you probably have a better idea of what's at stake. But I disagree with your assessment that it's pompous to be cynical toward the waves of people who ignore the piling evidence that law school is a poor investment. I would include myself in that group. If I had struck out at OCI, I wasn't going to get any sympathy from anyone because I was warned and I arrogantly charged ahead anyway. BTW, I was in a situation very similar to yours. I was in my young 30s when I applied. I had been working dead-end jobs for nearly a decade. And I had been planning my applications for several years before I made the jump. Oh, and I'm a 2L at UT. Also, minimize debt. That's my advice.


Thanks for the advice, Jazz. Got nothin but love for ya. No, I don't think its pompous to say that some are going into this thing blindly and that they'd be better off with different education and career choices. I was irritated by "thesavior's" comment, which appeared to be directed towards me, that insinuated that I deserve misfortune. For some of us, going to law school isn't the worst idea in the world.

Do I think every 22-year-old with a poly-sci major should go ahead and take out $200k in debt to go into a field they know nothing about? Hell, no. But in this forum, I think there are many of us who are reasonably intelligent, have done our homework, weighed the risks, and decided to go for it.

At this point, I'm just trying to drown out some of the negativity because I've already made my bed. For me, the best thing to do right now is try to have a positive attitude, work my ass off, look forward to going to UT (Longhorns! Wahoo), and hope I come out on top.... and, yes, minimize debt.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Leira, I agree with JazzOne. Sounds like you're in a pretty good position and you should be fine as long as you minimize debt.

My comment is more directed at the clueless 0Ls who think sticker at a T2 is a wise investment and they think they know what they're getting into, when really they have no clue (see blsindisguise's post above). After two years on this forum, I have pretty much lost all patience for these types of people, and if they want to walk blindly into 6 figures of debt for a degree that will give them little shot at a decent job, then they have made their own bed. I have zero sympathy for those who know the risks, take no steps to minimize them, and inevitably fail.

I'm obviously not saying law school is automatically a terrible choice or that no one should go. I am in law school.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby niederbomb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm

It's hard to make an informed decision when all these articles use imprecise terms like "law school." I tune out the bad news unless the messenger tells me where they went to school.

Not all law schools are created equal. When an article quotes a jobless T4 grad, it's hard to take the article seriously. Are the job prospects in the T10 this bad? Maybe, but it's a bit hard to tell. I wish I knew.

If the media published an article quoting a bunch of jobless T10 grads, then I think more people on this board would take notice. I do, however, have a hard time believing that a graduate of an Ivy League (or equivalent) university in ANY field would remain jobless for long. After all, couldn't you always take your Columbia JD (or better, JD/MBA) to China and find something?

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I am open-minded, and I am willing to hear from jobless T10 grads if they exist. I really don't want to hear about anyone's T2-T4 sob stories. I have no sympathy whatsoever for you. You're an idiot if you attend anything other than a T14 or the top school in your state.

javancho
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby javancho » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:43 am

"I do, however, have a hard time believing that a graduate of an Ivy League (or equivalent) university in ANY field would remain jobless for long"

Well, is Northwestern law high enough for you?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... -grad+jobs

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 am

sigh im a 2L with a decent SA position.

Honestly, looking back.... had i known how bad the legal market really is, I would have never went to law school. I knew things were bad for people who were median and below, but I didnt know how bad it was for the students in the top 1/3. I thought top 25% from a t1/t2 would have a good shot at midlaw/biglaw. Boy was i wrong...............

User avatar
smears
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby smears » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 am

Leira7905 wrote:Okay, in all seriousness... I get what the 3Ls are saying... There are extremely low job prospects for graduating attorneys. However, what the hell else am I gonna do?

1. Like a lot of law school hopefuls, I have a degree in Political Science. POLITICAL SCIENCE. What kind of job does one get with that, exactly?

2. I'm 31 years old. I've been working as a paralegal for four and a half years. I suppose I could continue working as a paralegal, but in about 5 years from now I will have reached the ceiling of my earning potential as such.... Paralegals generally top out at around 45-50K per year with benefits. Very rarely do I come into contact with a paralegal (even a highly experienced one) who makes a whole lot more than that. Where does one go from paralegal? How do I move up from here?

3. Since I have been working with attorneys for a few years now, I've already been networking. I've got a jump on it because I've already gotten to show a few people what I can do. I know two attorneys right now who would be willing to let me join them after graduation. (No these are not BigLaw prospects, but they're a way for me to gain some experience while making somewhat of an income).

I'm not saying my case is typical. Maybe all the warnings are directed more for younger, inexperience, 0Ls with no concept of the realities of becoming an attorney. But either way, realize that not ALL of us are going in with our eyes closed. For some of us, law school really is the next logical step in our lives.


Dude I'm 31 w/ a philosophy degree and my job sucks so bad I don't even want to talk about it.

If I could make 40k a year I'd take 100k in debt no problem.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 am

niederbomb wrote:I
If the media published an article quoting a bunch of jobless T10 grads, then I think more people on this board would take notice. I do, however, have a hard time believing that a graduate of an Ivy League (or equivalent) university in ANY field would remain jobless for long. After all, couldn't you always take your Columbia JD (or better, JD/MBA) to China and find something?

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I am open-minded, and I am willing to hear from jobless T10 grads if they exist. I really don't want to hear about anyone's T2-T4 sob stories. I have no sympathy whatsoever for you. You're an idiot if you attend anything other than a T14 or the top school in your state.


Well, I don't need your sympathy because I have no debt and a job I like. However, I have heard plenty of stories about T10 misery. Of course it's not as bad as for T2s, but it's not what it used to be either. I worked with a bunch of interns from Columbia and there was a law review student who was shut out at OCI. A friend from NYU who graduated a few years ago told me that most of his friends from law school are already no longer practicing, either because they were laid off or because they were miserable. I've certainly seen articles that quote unemployed T10 grads.

Ultimately I still find it hard to believe a top school degree is a terrible investment too, with the caveat that more than ever you have to know why you're going and be prepared for grueling work that is in no way sexy or interesting. Your "take it to China" quote was kind of adorably naive so I won't bother responding to it. Just go in understanding that for most students even at T10 schools, the options are going to be biglaw or a handful of govt agencies and non-profits, and that there's a not insubstantial risk of unemployment on graduation, or if not that then early career layoff or burnout.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 am

smears wrote:
Dude I'm 31 w/ a philosophy degree and my job sucks so bad I don't even want to talk about it.

If I could make 40k a year I'd take 100k in debt no problem.


So why not just become a paralegal and skip the debt?

By the way, you do realize that 100k in debt (which is actually nowhere enough to attend a private school at sticker) would come out to like $700-$1200 a month right? Nothing to sneeze at on a 40k salary.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 am

niederbomb wrote:If the media published an article quoting a bunch of jobless T10 grads, then I think more people on this board would take notice. I do, however, have a hard time believing that a graduate of an Ivy League (or equivalent) university in ANY field would remain jobless for long.

Spend more time on TLS then. There are plenty of T10 (even CCN) students/recent grads on here who can share stories of woe.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:32 am

No one on TLS will truly believe or understand the bad economy hype until them and their friends/classmates go through OCI. Even if you escape with an offer and/or your school charges dirt cheap tuition, you'll leave with a bad taste in your mouth. If not for your sake, for the sake of your friends and classmates. It's tough out there.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 am

Aqualibrium wrote:No one on TLS will truly believe or understand the bad economy hype until them and their friends/classmates go through OCI. Even if you escape with an offer and/or your school charges dirt cheap tuition, you'll leave with a bad taste in your mouth. If not for your sake, for the sake of your friends and classmates. It's tough out there.



+1

javancho
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby javancho » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 am

Aqualibrium wrote:No one on TLS will truly believe or understand the bad economy hype until them and their friends/classmates go through OCI. Even if you escape with an offer and/or your school charges dirt cheap tuition, you'll leave with a bad taste in your mouth. If not for your sake, for the sake of your friends and classmates. It's tough out there.


"bad taste in your mouth" is the least of my concerns... what about 150K in debt and no job prospects?

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Law School Deception

Postby glitched » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:27 am

only on TLS do i feel like shit for getting in anywhere outside of HYS... or hamilton at columbia. cause outside of that... you won't find the job you love.

thankfully, outside of this, i feel pretty happy :) I think it's time to quit TLS. i'll update LSN at the end of my cycle for future generations sake.

GL everyone. And whenever you feel down, just know that eventually no matter what you will die and the people at your deathbed won't care where you went to LS. that somehow always cheers me up. it's almost ironic.



edit: lol i was just having a shitty day when i wrote this.
Last edited by glitched on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smears
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: Law School Deception

Postby smears » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
smears wrote:
Dude I'm 31 w/ a philosophy degree and my job sucks so bad I don't even want to talk about it.

If I could make 40k a year I'd take 100k in debt no problem.


So why not just become a paralegal and skip the debt?

By the way, you do realize that 100k in debt (which is actually nowhere enough to attend a private school at sticker) would come out to like $700-$1200 a month right? Nothing to sneeze at on a 40k salary.



I'd still be netting more than I do now, almost. As it stands I've got 62k in stafford loans and I have to pay $32 a month. Great stuff.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests