State Residency

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dr123

State Residency

Postby dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:34 pm

So I Know to be considered instate at a school you have to live their for a year before hand, I was wondering does that mean a year before applying or matriculating?

joebloe

Re: State Residency

Postby joebloe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 pm

It varies from state to state. But for the states that let you go in-state after one year, I believe that you get in-state on any semesters that start more than one year after you've established a domicile.
Last edited by joebloe on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

dr123 wrote:So I Know to be considered instate at a school you have to live their for a year before hand, I was wondering does that mean a year before applying or matriculating?

I can only imagine that would be one year before matriculating. What state are we talking about?

ETA: see this http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... dency.html
Last edited by Knock on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:39 pm

joebloe wrote:It varies from state to state. But for the states that let you go in-state after one year, it's probably one year after establishing a domicile.

Some schools/states have rules that you can't get residency if you move there for education purposes, which is what I think the OP is talking about (correct me if i'm wrong).

Some examples:
Indiana wrote:In order to become a resident of Indiana, one must reside in the Hoosier State for 12 solid months prior to the 1st day of classes. Additionally, at no point in that 12 months can the would-be resident's main purpose for being in Indiana be to obtain an education. This makes it troubling for those who hope to get residency by 2L year. Important also to note is that, unlike many other states, marrying an Indiana resident and moving to Indiana does NOT confer resident status upon the nonresident spouse.

North Carolina wrote:In order to be classified as a North Carolina resident, one must have lived in NC for 12 months prior to the start of classes. Additionally, this may need to be even earlier because residency decisions are made at the time that applications are processed since the state requires that 75% of those admitted to UNC Law be North Carolina residents, a large admissions boost to in-state residents. Students may petition to chance their residency status after 1 year of living in the state, but they must fill out a 4 page residency questionnaire in its entirety before their petition will be considered.
Last edited by Knock on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Knock wrote:
dr123 wrote:So I Know to be considered instate at a school you have to live their for a year before hand, I was wondering does that mean a year before applying or matriculating?

I can only imagine that would be one year before matriculating. What state are we talking about?

It's in the northern rockies and i moved here about month ago for a job and if I apply to their LS I will have only lived there for about 10 months at the time of applying but at the time of matriculation if i were to go there ill have been living there for a little under 2 years.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 pm

dr123 wrote:
Knock wrote:

It's in the northern rockies and i moved here about month ago for a job and if I apply to their LS I will have only lived there for about 10 months at the time of applying but at the time of matriculation if i were to go there ill have been living there for a little under 2 years.

What state?

Colorado?
Colorado wrote:The law school's website states quite clearly that nonresident students may petition for residency after 12 months of continuous living in the state of Colorado, and there do not appear to be any strings attached. Based on this description Colorado seems to be one of the more friendly states to out-of-state students who might wish to establish residency.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 pm

one thing I'm wondering, how many people actually marry just to get in state-tuition? I'd be down to do it, but what would be in it for the other person? Do you pay them like 5k and then still save 10k or whatever the diff is?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”