Perhaps made a big mistake on my application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
secretad

Perhaps made a big mistake on my application?

Postby secretad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I have been posting my gpa at a certain level, but I never converted it to the LSDAS GPA. I am not sure if that is done by the LSAC or if I was supposed to do that.

The LSDAS gpa would skyrocket my GPA as I never dropped/failed/redid a class and almost all of my As were A+s.

When schools post GPA percentiles are they doing regular gpa or LSDAS gpa?

fatduck

Re: Perhaps made a big mistake on my application?

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:00 pm

when you send your transcripts to LSAC, they generate an Academic Summary Report which contains your LSDAS GPA (along with a bunch of other stats from your undergrad school(s), like median gpa, etc). that's what the law schools see.

it might look a little funky if you report a different gpa on your resume or whatever but i'm sure they'll figure it out. as far as their rankings are concerned all they care about is your lsdas gpa.

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

fatduck wrote:when you send your transcripts to LSAC, they generate an Academic Summary Report which contains your LSDAS GPA (along with a bunch of other stats from your undergrad school(s), like median gpa, etc). that's what the law schools see.

it might look a little funky if you report a different gpa on your resume or whatever but i'm sure they'll figure it out. as far as their rankings are concerned all they care about is your lsdas gpa.

It seems coincidental that on my academic summary report, I have the same GPA as my regular undergrad GPA. down to the same two decimal places. Something seems wrong.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm

you may need to contact LSAC to figure out why your A+'s were not weighted higher than your A's. either that or you miscalculated. are you saying that your school awards A+'s but only counts them as 4.0's for your gpa?

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm

fatduck wrote:you may need to contact LSAC to figure out why your A+'s were not weighted higher than your A's. either that or you miscalculated. are you saying that your school awards A+'s but only counts them as 4.0's for your gpa?

My undergrad does not award A+'s. A 93 would give you an A as would a 100.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

secretad wrote:
fatduck wrote:you may need to contact LSAC to figure out why your A+'s were not weighted higher than your A's. either that or you miscalculated. are you saying that your school awards A+'s but only counts them as 4.0's for your gpa?

My undergrad does not award A+'s. A 93 would give you an A as would a 100.

ah I think I see the confusion. if your undergrad school does not award A+'s, then you are just screwed, even if you got 100% in every course, your LSDAS GPA would still be a 4.0. it all depends on what your undergrad institution labels the grade as. if it's an A, it's a 4.0. if it's an A+, it's a 4.3. doesn't matter what your actual score in the course was.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”