Should I call Michigan?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmreplay

Should I call Michigan?

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I applied December 15, and my application is only listed as "Complete" now, as it has been for a week or so. Should I give them a call to make sure everything's in order?

Helmholtz

Re: Should I call Michigan?

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:37 pm

no

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 pm

"Complete" is the status you are at until a decision is rendered. I, for example, have been sitting at "Complete" for about three months now. Calling after only a week is not a good decision.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:42 pm

So it took over a month to get a status checker? Welcome to the club!

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I got my status checker 8 days ago. It's just really ominous and I wish they would make a decision already. I'm already in at Columbia and Berkeley. It seems strange that Michigan is taking longer given that they are lower ranked and in the same state as me.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:46 pm

gmreplay wrote:I got my status checker 8 days ago. It's just really ominous and I wish they would make a decision already. I'm already in at Columbia and Berkeley. It seems strange that Michigan is taking longer given that they are lower ranked and in the same state as me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
gmreplay wrote:I got my status checker 8 days ago. It's just really ominous and I wish they would make a decision already. I'm already in at Columbia and Berkeley. It seems strange that Michigan is taking longer given that they are lower ranked and in the same state as me.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 pm

What's the problem? The rule that lower ranked schools are less selective than higher ranked ones doesn't apply to Michigan?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 pm

gmreplay wrote:What's the problem? The rule that lower ranked schools are less selective than higher ranked ones doesn't apply to Michigan?

No, the problem is that you are in at Columbia and Boalt but complaining about not hearing back from Michigan.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
gmreplay wrote:What's the problem? The rule that lower ranked schools are less selective than higher ranked ones doesn't apply to Michigan?

No, the problem is that you are in at Columbia and complaining about not hearing back from Michigan.

I don't think that's the only problem with the OP.....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Off the top of my head I can think of yield protection, the fact that it's only been a few days, that the selectivity difference between Michigan and CLS/Boalt isn't that large, etc as reasons.

But the main problem is that you are whining.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

No, the problem is that you are in at Columbia and complaining about not hearing back from Michigan.

I don't think that's the only problem with the OP.....

lulz

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:00 pm

bk1 wrote:

Off the top of my head I can think of yield protection, the fact that it's only been a few days, that the selectivity difference between Michigan and CLS/Boalt isn't that large, etc as reasons.

Where did I whine? I'm just trying to make sure I'm properly informed and keeping up with my admissions. No need to get snippy.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm

bk1 wrote:

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 pm

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

gmreplay wrote:u mad bro?

Nah I just find it funny that you're in at T4 and complaining about not hearing back from Michigan.

Congrats on CLS, though. That's awesome.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:08 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Nah I just find it funny that you're in at T4 and complaining about not hearing back from Michigan.

is T4 just fancy talk for Columbia?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

is T4 just fancy talk for Columbia?

No its me being lazy :(

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

lol, just walk away. you were asking for it. this is the stupidest thread i've seen in a long time. sometimes i wonder if these people are for real, because if you're smart enough to get into columbia and boalt, then you shouldn't be asking questions as stupid as this. seems like this is a backdoor way to say "look at me! look at me! i got into a good school mom!"

we all do around here, son.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm

robotclubmember wrote:lol, just walk away. you were asking for it. this is the stupidest thread i've seen in a long time. sometimes i wonder if these people are for real, because if you're smart enough to get into columbia and boalt, then you shouldn't be asking questions as stupid as this. seems like this is a backdoor way to say "look at me! look at me! i got into a good school mom!"

Michigan says something on their website about calling them after a month or so if you don't hear back from them. I was just checking if I needed to do that. Nothing else. Please stop being a douche.

And I want to get into Michigan because I really like the school and because Michigan is my home. I want options so I can make an informed decision. Is that so abhorrent?

PS: thx MrPapagiorgio

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 pm

gmreplay wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:lol, just walk away. you were asking for it. this is the stupidest thread i've seen in a long time. sometimes i wonder if these people are for real, because if you're smart enough to get into columbia and boalt, then you shouldn't be asking questions as stupid as this. seems like this is a backdoor way to say "look at me! look at me! i got into a good school mom!"

Michigan says something on their website about calling them after a month or so if you don't hear back from them. I was just checking if I needed to do that. Nothing else. Please stop being a douche.

And I want to get into Michigan because I really like the school and because Michigan is my home. I want options so I can make an informed decision. Is that so abhorrent?

the hostility might also be because (iirc) the michigan status checker tells you that "complete" is the last status before "decision"... but anyways, I'm sure you will be hearing good news from UM soon! Relax and enjoy CLS/Boalt :D

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

gmreplay wrote:

yeah it's abhorrent. this is what they tell you:

We’re pleased you’ve chosen to apply to Michigan Law School. We’re writing to let you know we’ve received your initial application materials -- thank you! If you’ve applied through LSAC, we’ve already received your Credential Assembly Service report; otherwise, we’ll request it right away, and will receive it in less than two weeks. (If you applied for either summer or fall, your CAS report will show as having been requested for fall only; rest assured, your application will be considered for whatever term you requested, regardless of the term for which we requested your report.) Once we receive the report and any information that you are sending separately (please be sure to submit that information as soon as possible -- email attachments are fine for most materials), your application will be processed by our data-entry staff. We’ll then submit your application for review.

You will receive an email from our office in 3-4 weeks with your University of Michigan ID Number and the URL to our Online Status Checker. If your application status isn’t complete within six weeks from today (and you think it should be!), please feel free to inquire by emailing us at law.jd.admissions@umich.edu. We appreciate your patience.

We are unable to review incomplete files, and files are reviewed in the order in which they’re completed. Candidates who have not submitted all of their application materials by March 1 may, therefore, be at a serious disadvantage. Most candidates will receive a decision within 10 weeks of their files’ completion, but occasionally, we require more time to thoroughly consider an application. Because the timing can vary, we can’t predict a decision date; our goal is to have all decisions made by late April, but the vast majority will be made well in advance.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”