Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm

matye wrote:Your flight risk consideration is something I never thought of before, and I think it really does warrant some thought. Although it's a very early thought for me to have, I suppose that if I go I should emphasize the extent to which I am connected to the community in interviews.

Yes. You should. It is VERY important. Not only to have in interviews, but on your resume too. People on TLS don't really emphasize the extent to which connections to the community matter in firms because NYC/Chi/DC firms don't really care as much as firms in minor markets do (and T14 schools tend to travel well). But it is important.

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm

northwood wrote:Syracuse's tuition is 45K. you have a scholarship for 27k. wheres the other 18k?

It's not cheap but I can pay it with my savings. I was fortunate to have no debt coming out of undergrad. I can hardly imagine someone piling up debt at 2 schools. That would be the end...

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I dont even know if theyll let you in if you dont at least know what a lax bro is.

I just looked that up and it's pretty funny. I never played LaCrosse.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Syracuse is up to 45k! Aba guide says about 75% get grants/scholarships but the median amount is 6.5k and over a quarter pay sticker! Holy hell!

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm

I live near Syracuse and have spent a lot of time there. It is an awful city. Almost Utica bad. If you are from upstate, you should know what that means.

The two are so different that I think it comes down to where you want to practice. Both are regional, so you will most likely be in either city for a long time.

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:Syracuse is up to 45k! Aba guide says about 75% get grants/scholarships but the median amount is 6.5k and over a quarter pay sticker! Holy hell!

I know I saw that too! I don't think it's accurate, but then again why would the school report those low scholarship numbers if they weren't accurate? There is no motive to fudge those number to make them look worse, so yeah that's pretty bad.

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I live near Syracuse and have spent a lot of time there. It is an awful city. Almost Utica bad. If you are from upstate, you should know what that means.

The two are so different that I think it comes down to where you want to practice. Both are regional, so you will most likely be in either city for a long time.

This seems right to me. My general conclusion thus far is that Miami is the better bet... Even if it is more expensive.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

i dont know about utica bad... utica is awful

OP where do you want to work? If you go to either school, you will be in that region for a long time. both are very expensive ( miami cost of living is almost as expensive, as NYC), and neither of them will get you back to wisconsin. I would suggest that you visit each area for a few days at least to see what its like, and which one suits you better. Im from NY, and it can snow every day for a month straight. Miami is nice, but have you been down there in August when its 90 degrees with 90 percent himidity? You literally sweat while drying off in the shower.( i spent some summers in miami visiting my uncle growing up). Its very intreguing, especially in january- february, but you need to see if its for you

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:49 pm

matye wrote:Any advice about this would be appreciated. This debt is after 3 years, not each year. If you had to choose one, what would you choose? I prefer Miami weather, but I am from Wisconsin, so I can definitely survive just fine in Syracuse. I think Miami has more opportunities in Human/Civil rights and especially immigration law, which is a plus as well. But any advice would be appreciated.

Neither

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 pm

northwood wrote:

OP where do you want to work? If you go to either school, you will be in that region for a long time. both are very expensive ( miami cost of living is almost as expensive, as NYC), and neither of them will get you back to wisconsin. I would suggest that you visit each area for a few days at least to see what its like, and which one suits you better. Im from NY, and it can snow every day for a month straight. Miami is nice, but have you been down there in August when its 90 degrees with 90 percent himidity? You literally sweat while drying off in the shower.( i spent some summers in miami visiting my uncle growing up). Its very intreguing, especially in january- february, but you need to see if its for you

Compared to many other cities, the COL in Miami is obviously very expensive. That being said, it is not quite as expensive as living in the city. I've lived in NYC and I live in Miami now. Going from Miami to NYC, I almost get depressed when I see apartments/studios in the city. For $500-$600 in Coral Gables (where the UM campus is), you can live in a gorgeous house or a really great apartment (more realistic for a law student). And just within that price range, you have a multitude of options. For $800-$900 in Brickell, you can live in what basically amounts to a palace. At the same time, you cannot really get by in Miami without a car...so that changes things a bit. And COL includes much more than just rent, but I'll stop at that.

The heat and humidity can be pretty brutal. Still, like two days ago it was like 19 degrees in NY (if I recall correctly) and we were laying out by the pool. Today we went biking by the marina...in perfect weather. I guess you won't be doing much of this while you're in law school though. :mrgreen:

Miami is awesome. But don't come here if you're going to miss all four seasons. OP, if you have any questions about Miami/Coral Gables feel free to PM me. I'm a 0L though, so can't help you with much else.

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 pm

northwood wrote:i dont know about utica bad... utica is awful

I appreciate that NorthWood. I know that Cost of Living is crucial when considering how to understand what kind of life one can expect after graduation. I'd rather make $60,00 in a smaller city than $160,000 in New York. I'm not a huge city kind of person, but I could certainly manage working in one if I can go home to a more rural area. I will be traveling to both areas assuming I do not get into a better school.

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:27 pm

calvmpv wrote:
northwood wrote:

Compared to many other cities, the COL in Miami is obviously very expensive. That being said, it is not quite as expensive as living in the city. I've lived in NYC and I live in Miami now. Going from Miami to NYC, I almost get depressed when I see apartments/studios in the city. For $500-$600 in Coral Gables (where the UM campus is), you can live in a gorgeous house or a really great apartment (more realistic for a law student). And just within that price range, you have a multitude of options. For $800-$900 in Brickell, you can live in what basically amounts to a palace. At the same time, you cannot really get by in Miami without a car...so that changes things a bit. And COL includes much more than just rent, but I'll stop at that.

The heat and humidity can be pretty brutal. Still, like two days ago it was like 19 degrees in NY (if I recall correctly) and we were laying out by the pool. Today we went biking by the marina...in perfect weather. I guess you won't be doing much of this while you're in law school though. :mrgreen:

Miami is awesome. But don't come here if you're going to miss all four seasons. OP, if you have any questions about Miami/Coral Gables feel free to PM me. I'm a 0L though, so can't help you with much else.

Very few serious questions contain the word "scooter" but here goes : Instead of a car, is a scooter or moped worth the investment? I suppose distance is the crucial factor there, but how close to the school can I live?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 pm

not if you go to school at syracuse. Its too dangerous to drive on 2 wheels in the winter.
I wouldnt want one at UM either- people in south florida cant drive

matye

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

northwood wrote:not if you go to school at syracuse. Its too dangerous to drive on 2 wheels in the winter.
I wouldnt want one at UM either- people in south florida cant drive

Yea I went to school in Madison, WI and couldn't believe people driving on Mopeds in January. I'd rather walk. But if it's miles away and that you're best option, what can you do?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:33 pm

id get a car. or a bus ticket. but i suppose there are different strokes for different folks

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:08 am

matye wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I dont even know if theyll let you in if you dont at least know what a lax bro is.

I just looked that up and it's pretty funny. I never played LaCrosse.

So funny that most of the country has never heard of lax.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:18 am

From Miami. Between those two choices, to me, its a no brainer.

UM.

Its not a good economy right now in Miami, actually its downright shitty, but if you do decent enough I think you can find a decent enough job in Miami. After the ivy league schools, the only competition you will have is with your classmates and UF, maybe FSU. No real good law schools in the gunshine state after that. $40,000 really is nothing, even without a legal job at all you could pay that off.

edit: just wanted to add the fact that its the middle of night in winter. and its only 56 degrees out. people here think thats cold. what about you?

matye

Postby matye » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Again, thanks for all the advice. It looks like Miami may be my best option. But obviously I need to go there to be sure!

irish017

Postby irish017 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Cuse.

There are Cuse grads everywhere and they are often damn proud of the Cuse.

Carrier dome > Orange bowl at 48% capacity.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 am

Haha, love it.

I'm from Cuse. Weather blows. Seriously, it's worse than you think.

I love Buffalo though, lots more to do and less snow.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 am

Have you considered other schools outside of Miami and Syracuse?

New Mexico, maybe? Albuquerque is the new Phoenix.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:38 pm

maggiejeter wrote:

Haha, love it.

I'm from Cuse. Weather blows. Seriously, it's worse than you think.

I love Buffalo though, lots more to do and less snow.

Im from Rochester which is right between cuse and buff. Most of my friends from high school went to UB and most of my friends from college are from CNY like cortland and stuff. Ive spent time at both schools. I wouldnt even consider going to either of them unless I was trying to stay close to home. Even at Buff where I could pretty much go for free. In the OPs case, where he has no ties to the area, the simple answer is just don't come here.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

matye wrote:
calvmpv wrote:
northwood wrote:

Very few serious questions contain the word "scooter" but here goes : Instead of a car, is a scooter or moped worth the investment? I suppose distance is the crucial factor there, but how close to the school can I live?

Lots of kids only have bikes around here and get around that way. The university started selling them at a pretty steep discount last year. Some apartments near school even have special "parking garages" just for bicycles.

Just to give you an idea - one of my friends lives in Red Road Commons right now and pays about $850 a month (not including utilities, etc.); he has a car, but mostly walks or bikes to school since the building is right next to campus. It's about a 5 to 8 minute walk and you're not even walking by major traffic or anything, but through what we call the "Loop" (because it goes around campus). There's also this other building on Red Road which is a little bit farther, but still close enough to school called Cloisters at the Gables. The apartments are really nice, but rent is more like $1,000 to $1,200 for a big one-bedroom.

I guess having a scooter/moped is almost like having a bike so it's doable. However, you won't be able to get anywhere but campus (unless you live in one of those buildings/houses next to campus where you can walk to Sunset Mall or the Whole Foods or something). But you can get rides and stuff. And there is a train and I know it stops almost in front of campus, but I really don't know much about public transportation here since Miami really is the type of place where you need a car and almost everybody has one.

And what one of the posters above me said is true - we have the worst drivers.

matye

Postby matye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 pm

calvmpv wrote:
matye wrote:
calvmpv wrote:
northwood wrote:

Lots of kids only have bikes around here and get around that way. The university started selling them at a pretty steep discount last year. Some apartments near school even have special "parking garages" just for bicycles.

Just to give you an idea - one of my friends lives in Red Road Commons right now and pays about $850 a month (not including utilities, etc.); he has a car, but mostly walks or bikes to school since the building is right next to campus. It's about a 5 to 8 minute walk and you're not even walking by major traffic or anything, but through what we call the "Loop" (because it goes around campus). There's also this other building on Red Road which is a little bit farther, but still close enough to school called Cloisters at the Gables. The apartments are really nice, but rent is more like $1,000 to $1,200 for a big one-bedroom.

I guess having a scooter/moped is almost like having a bike so it's doable. However, you won't be able to get anywhere but campus (unless you live in one of those buildings/houses next to campus where you can walk to Sunset Mall or the Whole Foods or something). But you can get rides and stuff. And there is a train and I know it stops almost in front of campus, but I really don't know much about public transportation here since Miami really is the type of place where you need a car and almost everybody has one.

And what one of the posters above me said is true - we have the worst drivers.

This is valuable information if I end up going, as I can sort of cut to the chase of looking around for housing. Thanks!

matye

Postby matye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 pm

bartleby wrote:Have you considered other schools outside of Miami and Syracuse?

New Mexico, maybe? Albuquerque is the new Phoenix.

Sure, I'll take a look at it. I have already before, as this is my second cycle. You never know... Do they have anything for human rights law? I'm not one of those people who needs to work for the UN or anything, but to help people, perhaps in more needy countries, is a focus of mine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”