Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Any advice about this would be appreciated. This debt is after 3 years, not each year. If you had to choose one, what would you choose? I prefer Miami weather, but I am from Wisconsin, so I can definitely survive just fine in Syracuse. I think Miami has more opportunities in Human/Civil rights and especially immigration law, which is a plus as well. But any advice would be appreciated.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:04 pm

free sounds pretty nice.. especially if theres no stips.. I'm also a NY'er so im biased toward CUSEE

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks! I would have to pay Syracuse, I just wouldn't be in debt at all after going there. I have the 2.8 gpa stipulation to keep a 27,000 scholarship.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby nshapkar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I applied at Syracuse, waiting on a reply...I think I have a shot, my LSAT falls 75th percentile but my GPA 25th...did you get the scholarship offer with acceptance letter or later on?

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:15 pm

nshapkar wrote:I applied at Syracuse, waiting on a reply...I think I have a shot, my LSAT falls 75th percentile but my GPA 25th...did you get the scholarship offer with acceptance letter or later on?



I got the acceptance along with the scholarship offer in the same package.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:18 pm

I would imagine that doing immigration law in Miami would likely require some Spanish skill (maybe not in practice, but at least to get the job). And $40k is not much though compared to a lot of people obviously. But its still a lot more than nothing, especially after you factor in interest. Are you debt averse?

If I had to make the decision, it would come down to a cultural choice - with the no debt factor a clear pre-decision advantage to Syracuse.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I have visited both schools and can confirm the obvious--that the two offer very different environments. Syracuse has a rising crime rate & can be depressing due to gloomy weather & decaying surroundings. Syracuse has a great sports program, a nice campus & a great masters program in public planning & administration. But it is difficult to find a nice area beyond the campus.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Find out what the curves are for the two schools before you make your decision.

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I will absolutely have to spend some time in both places to decide which local culture I like the most. I am a bit debt averse because of all the horror stories I've heard about people having no jobs and 160,000 in debt. I would hate to be one of those bitter people i read about doing document review, making 30,000 or even less, perhaps temping a few weeks at a time. I am more optimistic than I sound. I am just sober about what may happen.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:31 pm

matye wrote:Thanks! I would have to pay Syracuse, I just wouldn't be in debt at all after going there. I have the 2.8 gpa stipulation to keep a 27,000 scholarship.


Isn't there median ridiculously low? I could be wrong but you dont wanna lose it and pay sticker at syracuse.. another question is why pay that at syracuse when you could go to buffalo which places about the same for 1/3 of the cost? and like 1/4th of the cost for 2l and 3l

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:38 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
matye wrote:Thanks! I would have to pay Syracuse, I just wouldn't be in debt at all after going there. I have the 2.8 gpa stipulation to keep a 27,000 scholarship.


Isn't there median ridiculously low? I could be wrong but you dont wanna lose it and pay sticker at syracuse.. another question is why pay that at syracuse when you could go to buffalo which places about the same for 1/3 of the cost? and like 1/4th of the cost for 2l and 3l


I think that the median changes, but I heard that 2.8 would be in the lower 50 percent of the class. I think I can do that, but obviously I'm not there and cannot be certain. I will definitely look into buffalo also. They allow you to have in-state tuition for the 2nd and third year, just for coming to the school? Few other school do that.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Baffling that this hasn't been asked before: where do you want to live? Do you have connections to either of the markets? Miami firms like people FROM Miami, so realize that even with good grades you may struggle to find a job. Furthermore do you know anything about what market Syracuse feeds into? I know nothing about the school, so I can't offer any help, but these are the kinds of considerations you want to make before going to either of these schools. Immigration law isn't really like human/civil rights practice at all, by the way. There is a lot of immigration law in Miami, but, realize that if you don't speak Spanish fluently you may have difficulty finding a good job.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:50 pm

matye wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
matye wrote:Thanks! I would have to pay Syracuse, I just wouldn't be in debt at all after going there. I have the 2.8 gpa stipulation to keep a 27,000 scholarship.


Isn't there median ridiculously low? I could be wrong but you dont wanna lose it and pay sticker at syracuse.. another question is why pay that at syracuse when you could go to buffalo which places about the same for 1/3 of the cost? and like 1/4th of the cost for 2l and 3l


I think that the median changes, but I heard that 2.8 would be in the lower 50 percent of the class. I think I can do that, but obviously I'm not there and cannot be certain. I will definitely look into buffalo also. They allow you to have in-state tuition for the 2nd and third year, just for coming to the school? Few other school do that.


no youd have to apply for residency

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 pm

mistergoft wrote:Baffling that this hasn't been asked before: where do you want to live? Do you have connections to either of the markets?
This. A million times this.

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm

mistergoft wrote:Baffling that this hasn't been asked before: where do you want to live? Do you have connections to either of the markets? Miami firms like people FROM Miami, so realize that even with good grades you may struggle to find a job. Furthermore do you know anything about what market Syracuse feeds into? I know nothing about the school, so I can't offer any help, but these are the kinds of considerations you want to make before going to either of these schools. Immigration law isn't really like human/civil rights practice at all, by the way. There is a lot of immigration law in Miami, but, realize that if you don't speak Spanish fluently you may have difficulty finding a good job.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.


Thanks for your advice! I don't have any connections to either market, to be frank. I am learning spanish as we speak, but I'm not fluent at all yet. One thing that you said stood out to me, which is that Miami firms like people from Miami. How is this the case? I assume it wouldn't be a situation where firms ask you where you are from originally and count it against you that you're not a local. Might it be that the connections one gains growing up and going to school there are important? Knowing people? That much would certainly make sense to me.

Thanks for your and everyone's advice as well!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 pm

I live right near syracuse. Its one of the worst places in the world. Even worse than buffalo. I know a couple heads that graduated from SU law and they dont have jobs. The only reason you should go to SU is if you are a straight lax bro and you have hella flow. Then youll be in heaven. Otherwise, soak the sun.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 pm

haha I didn't see that someone suggested UB. Dont go there either. Worse job opportunities than SU. Both terrible cities. And UB doesn't leave the lax bro niche.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 pm

bport hopeful wrote:haha I didn't see that someone suggested UB. Dont go there either. Worse job opportunities than SU. Both terrible cities. And UB doesn't leave the lax bro niche.


twas I.. there arent worse job opps they suck similarly.. both being terrible cities is credited though.. but id take either for free over miami at 40k

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 pm

matye wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Baffling that this hasn't been asked before: where do you want to live? Do you have connections to either of the markets? Miami firms like people FROM Miami, so realize that even with good grades you may struggle to find a job. Furthermore do you know anything about what market Syracuse feeds into? I know nothing about the school, so I can't offer any help, but these are the kinds of considerations you want to make before going to either of these schools. Immigration law isn't really like human/civil rights practice at all, by the way. There is a lot of immigration law in Miami, but, realize that if you don't speak Spanish fluently you may have difficulty finding a good job.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.


Thanks for your advice! I don't have any connections to either market, to be frank. I am learning spanish as we speak, but I'm not fluent at all yet. One thing that you said stood out to me, which is that Miami firms like people from Miami. How is this the case? I assume it wouldn't be a situation where firms ask you where you are from originally and count it against you that you're not a local. Might it be that the connections one gains growing up and going to school there are important? Knowing people? That much would certainly make sense to me.

Thanks for your and everyone's advice as well!

Have you BEEN to Miami before? It's not for everyone. Obviously going to school there gives you a connection: however, being someone from out of Florida who has interviewed with just about every top Miami firm, I can tell you that having a connection there definitely makes an impact. As for "asking where you are originally from", this comes up in most interviews. Most firms are going to ask you "why Miami" or something similar. The ideal answer is "I grew up in Miami, love it, want to work there for the rest of my life" etc. If you cannot say that, especially if you say something to the extent of "well, I've been there on vacation and it's sunny/nice" (which, btw, is inaccurate - it rains a LOT there, it's semi-tropical), you're going to have a bit of an uphill battle against the person who is a native (and believe me, most of the people I was competing against for jobs were locals). I know it is a little ridiculous, but, firms are trying to find people who will make partner (especially so in Florida, where "big law" firms aren't really all that big and your chances of making partner are exponentially higher than somewhere like NYC); this causes firms to be very skeptical of people they view as flight risks, especially if they suspect that you are applying to firms in your home state and won't accept their offer.

Anyways, I would definitely try to talk to some alums, maybe get into contact with some students who went to UM OOS and talk to them about the job search process.

As for SU, all I know is it's horribly cold there. No thanks.

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm

mistergoft wrote:
matye wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Baffling that this hasn't been asked before: where do you want to live? Do you have connections to either of the markets? Miami firms like people FROM Miami, so realize that even with good grades you may struggle to find a job. Furthermore do you know anything about what market Syracuse feeds into? I know nothing about the school, so I can't offer any help, but these are the kinds of considerations you want to make before going to either of these schools. Immigration law isn't really like human/civil rights practice at all, by the way. There is a lot of immigration law in Miami, but, realize that if you don't speak Spanish fluently you may have difficulty finding a good job.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.


Thanks for your advice! I don't have any connections to either market, to be frank. I am learning spanish as we speak, but I'm not fluent at all yet. One thing that you said stood out to me, which is that Miami firms like people from Miami. How is this the case? I assume it wouldn't be a situation where firms ask you where you are from originally and count it against you that you're not a local. Might it be that the connections one gains growing up and going to school there are important? Knowing people? That much would certainly make sense to me.

Thanks for your and everyone's advice as well!

Have you BEEN to Miami before? It's not for everyone. Obviously going to school there gives you a connection: however, being someone from out of Florida who has interviewed with just about every top Miami firm, I can tell you that having a connection there definitely makes an impact. As for "asking where you are originally from", this comes up in most interviews. Most firms are going to ask you "why Miami" or something similar. The ideal answer is "I grew up in Miami, love it, want to work there for the rest of my life" etc. If you cannot say that, especially if you say something to the extent of "well, I've been there on vacation and it's sunny/nice" (which, btw, is inaccurate - it rains a LOT there, it's semi-tropical), you're going to have a bit of an uphill battle against the person who is a native (and believe me, most of the people I was competing against for jobs were locals). I know it is a little ridiculous, but, firms are trying to find people who will make partner (especially so in Florida, where "big law" firms aren't really all that big and your chances of making partner are exponentially higher than somewhere like NYC); this causes firms to be very skeptical of people they view as flight risks, especially if they suspect that you are applying to firms in your home state and won't accept their offer.

Anyways, I would definitely try to talk to some alums, maybe get into contact with some students who went to UM OOS and talk to them about the job search process.

As for SU, all I know is it's horribly cold there. No thanks.




Your flight risk consideration is something I never thought of before, and I think it really does warrant some thought. Although it's a very early thought for me to have, I suppose that if I go I should emphasize the extent to which I am connected to the community in interviews.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Its not only cold, its just shitty. There are some really cool cities where the weather isnt that great. Syracuse is a decrepit shit hole. Man, I dont wanna shit on your dreams or anything, and I realize that 40k is a lot of money, but its recoverable. The depression that would come from living in cuse isnt.

matye
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby matye » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I live right near syracuse. Its one of the worst places in the world. Even worse than buffalo. I know a couple heads that graduated from SU law and they dont have jobs. The only reason you should go to SU is if you are a straight lax bro and you have hella flow. Then youll be in heaven. Otherwise, soak the sun.


What's a lax bro? Ha! I suppose that means I shouldn't go!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

I dont even know if theyll let you in if you dont at least know what a lax bro is.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Syracuse's tuition is 45K. you have a scholarship for 27k. wheres the other 18k?

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Syracuse Debt Free or Miami with $40,000 in Debt?

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Pocket change homieee




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests