When to Withdraw?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
The Stig

When to Withdraw?

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:09 pm

So I did a (quick) search, and only came across some threads from previous cycles.

When are you thinking of withdrawing? It sounds like a common thing to do is wait for scholarship offers or after ASWs, but I think it would be beneficial to hear when you all are going to decide to withdraw...

Also, here are some good/funny examples from previous cycles of the emails-

To (potential contact person) and the Admissions Staff at Law School:

After careful consideration I have decided to withdraw from admission to Law School.

I am honored to be one of the applicants accepted to your law school. I appreciate the time and consideration you have given my application, as well as the subsequent materials you have sent to help me make an informed decision. If applicable: To turn down such an amazing scholarship is a remarkably difficult decision, but one I feel is best for me. While I am certain I would receive an excellent legal education from Law School, I am weighing several offers more heavily at this time. To be fair to other applicants, as well as your staff, I believe now is an appropriate time to withdraw my admission.

If there is a formal procedure (a letter or form), please let me know and I will do so immediately. I wish you the best of luck in finding excellent candidates for Law School.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Dear Admissions Staff,

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my application for admission. I truly appreciate your offer of admission and am certain that I would receive an excellent legal education at your institution. However, I am weighing several offers more heavily at this time. To be fair to other applicants, as well as your staff, I believe now is an appropriate time to withdraw my application.

If there is a formal procedure (a letter or form) that is required to officially withdraw, please let me know and I will comply with it immediately. In the alternative, please respond to this e-mail to confirm that my withdraw has been appropriately processed.

Thank you for your consideration of my application. I wish you the best of luck in finding candidates for the 2009 admissions cycle.

Sincerely,

[Name and LSAC ID]

Dear XXX Law School Admissions Staff,

Every year applicants such as myself apply to many excellent law schools such as yours. Unfortunately, I cannot attend every fine institution that I applied to, and I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for my Fall 2009 academic year. Thank you for considering me as an applicant, and best wishes for all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

XXXX

Dear <Law School>

I'm not coming.

That's what she said.

Sincerely,
<Applicant name>

bk1

Re: When to Withdraw?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Nobody cares if you send an admissions office a supposedly witty withdraw email that they have seen a hundred times before.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm

bk1 wrote:Nobody cares if you send an admissions office a supposedly witty withdraw email that they have seen a hundred times before.

I don't think anyone actually sends those...I posted those for the amusement of people who might not have already seen them :roll:

shoop

Postby shoop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 pm

I totally made references to YP when withdrawing from safeties that initially waitlisted me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”