Does NYU really average LSAT scores? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rory1987

Bronze

Does NYU really average LSAT scores?

Post by Rory1987 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Like they claim to on their website?

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Re: Does NYU really average LSAT scores?

Post by socraticmethodman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 pm

I was told that they will average your scores unless you write a compelling addendum as to why they should take the higher score. However, the addendum does not guarantee that they wont average them.

Older Chest

Bronze

Post by Older Chest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 pm

I took the LSAT twice. First score in the mid 160s, second in the mid 170s.

If NYU truly averaged my scores, I do not believe I would been admitted. I wrote a very short addendum to explain the discrepancy (my reason being simply that I studied more), but I'm not sure if it helped or not.

If you really want to go to NYU, look at LSN and see what LSAT you need to qualify. They seem to be fairly rigid with LSAT and GPA cutoffs. If your second/third LSAT is high enough, you should be fine.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Yeah, I am a 169 and 3.9+ white dude, so I know my chances are slim (maybe 25%?) even IF they take the highest. But if they average then I have no shot and just wasted an app fee.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Yeah, I am a 169 and 3.9+ white dude, so I know my chances are slim (maybe 25%?) even IF they take the highest. But if they average then I have no shot and just wasted an app fee.
This is pure speculation, but they may be more likely to average or discount your high score if you are below median instead of above. With an above median highest score you gain them something in the reportable statistics department, however a multiple scorer with a high score below median would hurt in the LSAT #s department no matter which way they look at it.

Your GPA is a big plus factor though, good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Older Chest wrote:I took the LSAT twice. First score in the mid 160s, second in the mid 170s.

If NYU truly averaged my scores, I do not believe I would been admitted. I wrote a very short addendum to explain the discrepancy (my reason being simply that I studied more), but I'm not sure if it helped or not.

If you really want to go to NYU, look at LSN and see what LSAT you need to qualify. They seem to be fairly rigid with LSAT and GPA cutoffs. If your second/third LSAT is high enough, you should be fine.
+1 except I didn't write an addendum...

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
Older Chest wrote:I took the LSAT twice. First score in the mid 160s, second in the mid 170s.

+1 except I didn't write an addendum...
If you get WL'ed, add it to your file along with LOCI's, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”