disclose?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ae1225

disclose?

Postby ae1225 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I am about to send in my applications, however, I have not sent transcripts to LSAC from a community college I attended during my freshman year where I had received horrible, horrible grades. I left the community college for another where I got my shit together, brought my grades up and graduated from my university with a 3.5 cum GPA.

My question is whether i should send in the transcripts from my first community college if I never transferred any of the classes to my graduating institution. Doing so would KILL my GPA and cost me application time, but not doing so could also seriously risk my application.

applying to: Southwestern, Chapman, Whittier in LA

any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Moral_Midgetry

Re: disclose?

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

ae1225 wrote:I am about to send in my applications, however, I have not sent transcripts to LSAC from a community college I attended during my freshman year where I had received horrible, horrible grades. I left the community college for another where I got my shit together, brought my grades up and graduated from my university with a 3.5 cum GPA.

My question is whether i should send in the transcripts from my first community college if I never transferred any of the classes to my graduating institution. Doing so would KILL my GPA and cost me application time, but not doing so could also seriously risk my application.

applying to: Southwestern, Chapman, Whittier in LA

any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Retake.

edit: Seriously, send them.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

You are supposed to send them. I don't know the likelihood of them finding out if you don't, but it's bad if they do- potentially much worse than if you had sent them.
Last edited by joebloe on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Yes, you're required to send in these transcripts even though you never transferred the credits.

And don't take any chances hoping they won't find out.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm not sure how LSDAS would calculate your GPA (or if they would incorporate the first college's grades into the second's), but you are required to disclose any and all secondary educational info (that means grades and degrees) when applying.

Honestly, I'd disclose a possible case of herpes. Shit comes back to haunt you.

ae1225

Postby ae1225 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm

this is pretty depressing, i dont think any addendum will do any justice to how badly my gpa is going to be knocked down by adding in those grades...but it looks like i may have to just send them in (knocking southwestern into my reach and probably ending up at whitter/thomas jefferson :(

can I still submit applications while I have those additional transcripts sent in or do I have to wait another couple weeks until they are processed by LSAC?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 pm

I have no idea. However, I think you would very likely wind up in a whole peck of trouble, since it would look like you were trying to conceal those grades until you got an admissions decision. This is something that can and probably would come up again when you went for admission to the bar.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:26 pm

You have to do it. There are student clearinghouses that keep all of the data about schools you have attended. People have been caught for it before. Don't risk it, you'll fuck your life.

This exact same thing happened to me last year. My 3.74 at my degree granting institution was destroyed. Sub-3.0.

Lucky I had a 170 LSAT and still got into a respectable school, but I had a legit shot at most of the T14 if I didn't have to disclose those grades.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Your GPA is not gonna be killed or knocked down...because your GPA is not a 3.5, it is a 3.5 plus all the grades from Community College. Honestly, do the right thing and submit your grades. It will be the best decision in the long run. I know it sucks though, my bro is in the same spot, 2 F's first semester and a 4.0 since then. Just deal with it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Send them in. Dominate the LSAT, and apply early. Get solild LORS from professors at your degree granting institution. If you dont send them in, you can and most likely will get your admission rescinded, or get kicked out of law school. Its not worth that.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:57 am

I feel ya. I have a semester of all F's from one institution I attended. I'm currently appealing it because I was injured mid semester and couldn't walk for weeks. I tried to withdraw, but it was after the date so they wouldn't let me, even with supporting letters from my physician. It brought down my cumulative gpa from a 3.75 to a 3.49. Sucks, there's no doubt about it, but that's what addendums are for. Just include in the addendum about the semester and show what your gpa is without it. Most adcomms I've talked to said that they take everything into consideration and don't just use your LSDAS gpa. And like everyone has pointed out; you get caught, you get effed. Student Clearinghouses are the real deal. Don't jeapordize even being able to attend law school.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 am

northwood wrote:Send them in. Dominate the LSAT, and apply early. Get solild LORS from professors at your degree granting institution. If you dont send them in, you can and most likely will get your admission rescinded, or get kicked out of law school. Its not worth that.

this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”