When is it TOO unique?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Rap PS?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 38

magicman554

When is it TOO unique?

Postby magicman554 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:22 pm

My cousin is applying to LS, and he's really into rap. He even gets into underground stuff that, I'm sure, not a single adcomm member has ever heard of. He was thinking about styling his personal statement in def poetry, or some lyrical format.

This is who he is. It's a major part of his life.

Should he stop being himself for the purpose of applying to law school?

jtemp320

Re: When is it TOO unique?

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 pm

magicman554 wrote:My cousin is applying to LS, and he's really into rap. He even gets into underground stuff that, I'm sure, not a single adcomm member has ever heard of. He was thinking about styling his personal statement in def poetry, or some lyrical format.

Can't he be himself without doing something that will clearly hurt his chances? Is he going to have to rap his memos and pleadings to be himself? Not to be a jerk at all - its just a bad idea - if you read the dean's interviews on here many say specifically, "dont send us a poem as your personal statement" - I think that includes raps. On the other hand his love of hip hop could make a good ps if it says something about who he is and his personal and professional goals.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Basically, it's too unique if it isn't narrative prose. Maybe it's worth a shot with an extreme reach that he has near zero chance at anyway, but definitely not anywhere else.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Maybe it'd be alright if he's autoadmit for the schools he's applying to anyway.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 am

No. Unless he has a 4.0 178 plus. He could write about his passion for rap music, but don't send them a poem.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:46 am

magicman554 wrote:Should he stop being himself for the purpose of applying to law school?

Yes. He should adapt to the environment he wants to be in. Since I'm an American should I walk around in a bikini in Jeddah? that's a silly question

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:53 am

He could write a PS about what rap music means to him, how it inspires him, or how it got him through a difficult period in his life. He could also use rap as a metaphor of sorts to explain his interest in the law (creativity, substance, structure, quick thinking, etc).

He should definitely "refrain" from rapping, however. (Anyone see what I did there?)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

magicman554 wrote:Should he stop being himself for the purpose of applying to law school?

This is not a correct summation of what it would mean to write his PS in a conventional format.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am

Your "cousin" huh? 8)

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 am

mala2 wrote:

Yes. He should adapt to the environment he wants to be in. Since I'm an American should I walk around in a bikini in Jeddah? that's a silly question

Wasn't that the plot of Sex in the City 2?

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 am

jtemp320 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:My cousin is applying to LS, and he's really into rap. He even gets into underground stuff that, I'm sure, not a single adcomm member has ever heard of. He was thinking about styling his personal statement in def poetry, or some lyrical format.

Can't he be himself without doing something that will clearly hurt his chances? Is he going to have to rap his memos and pleadings to be himself? Not to be a jerk at all - its just a bad idea - if you read the dean's interviews on here many say specifically, "dont send us a poem as your personal statement" - I think that includes raps. On the other hand his love of hip hop could make a good ps if it says something about who he is and his personal and professional goals.

TITCR

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:28 am

You want to be unique in what story you tell, not how you tell it. Popular narrative strategies are popular for a reason.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”