Worst LOR in the history of mankind

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 pm

@Deuce - Yeah. That's what I'm gonna do. ): So sadddddddddddddd

@elsam - He actually requested I write it initially, but I personally didn't feel comfortable with it (I suppose it's a matter of personal preference), so I sent him the aforementioned LOR packet of information instead. He responded saying that I was the only student in 20 years of teaching to not write their own LOR for him. So...I guess it happens pretty frequently.

elsam1980
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby elsam1980 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:04 pm

@jazzone and california 180:
I never said you don't have the right to see them. I just said you're not supposed to and I referred to an honor code, the point of which is that it's unwritten. And I don't know what schools you guys went to or what kind of professors you're referring to, but for as long as I've been in academia seeing the letters is unusual and editing them is especially not done. Profs are lazy? Again, who on earth are you referring to? Busy they are of course, but that's also why it means something to get a letter of rec from them that they have worked to produce! They like you so much that they will take the time to write you the letter. That's part of what's meaningful about the letter!

And OF COURSE it matters who wrote the letter! Who needs to get a grip? Having somebody speak about you, vouch for you, recommend you from his/her own point of view, context and experience and for his/her own reasons doesn't matter? To you, it's really equivalent to merely "agreeing with the contents?" Really?

Also, I love when people speak with such certainty about what matters and doesn't matter in the admissions process for law school. It's so ridiculous; we are all here trying to get advice and connect with each other (supposedly) exactly because we don't know everything about the admissions process, but people speak all the time as if they're sitting right there in ALL admissions committees and have seen and known everything. If professors have any clue, they would know that yes, the LSAT and GPA are the most determining of admission, but they should also know that a very good specific personal tailored to law school letter can make a difference. No professor who knows anything about law school thinks of those letters as "puff pieces" whatever that means. And hey, you know what...some professors who are still awesome human beings who still believe in something actually think that writing those letters is significant and they genuinely like doing it and like the opportunity of recommending you and hoping the best for you. And maybe, they will also ask you to update them on how it's going if they really care. Mine thankfully were those kinds of professors (3 of them) and I was able to develop that relationship with them.
It's only certain people who like to pretend to be sure that the letters, the ps, the other factors don't play a role only so they can aggrandize the only things they are sure of: their lsat and their gpa.

elsam1980
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby elsam1980 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm

@crumpetsandtea

Well, then, I'm sorry to say, but that guy is a lazy douche and good for you for not doing what every other douche student had done before you. That alone should make him want to write a letter for you. What an ass. And if this practice is indeed so dominant, it's effing sad and I have no idea why anybody goes along with it.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 pm

You could always keep in on file just in case you end up needing a third LOR at some schools.

I don't think it's that terrible, especially now that he's spelled your name right. Given the title of this thread it'd be full of negative qualities about you, or questioning whether you really interested in the practice of law. I half suspect one of my professors wrote a LOR suggesting that I'm not fully invested in law (since she also wrote a LOR for a film program for me), but I don't think it hurt me anyway.

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby mala2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:43 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
mala2 wrote:it's really strange to me that you're upset about this. No one said you asked to see the letter, why would you do that? it's very normal for people to do that on their own. It's starting to give me a headache how pompous this board tends to be, I think I'll go do something productive.


? I'm confused. I mentioned I didn't ask to see the letter to express how glad I was that he did, actually, send it to me, so I could catch his mistakes (ie: putting in a name nothing like my own into my LOR). I wasn't upset about that at all, I was relieved.

If you're referencing my OP, I don't see how being worried about an LOR that doesn't spell my name correctly and mentions someone else's name completely = being pompous.

I think there was a miscommunication here somewhere. I'm incredibly thankful that the professor decided to write an LOR for me, but I'm just worried that the LOR misrepresents my dedication/performance in the class. I'm not sure why that would be strange, or why that makes me pompous?


Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you were upset he let you see it. I still think it's worth trying writing what you wish he'd written and then seeing if that can be your first LOR.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby artichoke » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 am

Wow. that sucks. In a completely sincere, non-dickish way, I feel bad for you.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:25 am

@ elsam

Are you seriously that obtuse? There is absolutely no ethical prohibition on seeing rec letters if the recommender agrees. The Honor Code is written, not some vague set of norms. When I said that it doesn't matter who writes the letter, I was responding to your charge that it was unethical for a student to write his own. Sure, it matters to the extent that it affects the quality of the letter. But that wasn't the context of my comment. It doesn't matter from an ethical perspective because the professor is free to edit the letter, rewrite it, or simply decline to endorse it. And calling someone a douche just because you have a disagreement is poor form. That makes you an ass. You're perfect for lawl school.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 am

Elsam tell us your real name so we will not have to discover what an idiot you are in the future if we have the misfortune of being in the same class with you somewhere.
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby kazu » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 am

cinephile wrote:You could always keep in on file just in case you end up needing a third LOR at some schools.

+1, you should keep it on file just in case, but def. ask around and try to find someone who will hopefully write you a better one.

And it's good that this happened now, and not in October or something... so good luck crumps!

elsam1980
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby elsam1980 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:54 pm

@jazzone
First of all, I didn't call you a douche. Careful reader that you are, you should reread my response to your comments and the word douche does not appear in there. It appears in my response to the specific situation that crumpetsandtea had mentioned--I called the professor a douche (and I do think any professor who asks his/her students to do write their own letters is a douche--and let's be clear, douche is really like not that powerful of a swear word) and the students who agree to do this. But you're right, I should amend that last comment and take back calling the students that because really they are the victims in that situation and the ones being let down. And sometimes, there might be special circumstances when one has no time and when the application does not demand significance that it might be inevitable to do. I certainly don't think applying to law school is such a case, however.
As for seeing the letters, I was referring to seeing the letters before they're sent in and making comments/corrections and so on. That's what I think is vaguely weird and not common, at least in my world, at the large university I now work and studied at in Chicago. I'm not alone on thinking this. But hey you know, that's my world: thankfully populated by professors who like writing letters for people they really admire and by students who don't agonize what the letters will say because they are confident that they'll be great. Even the graduate admissions guy whom I asked about this said the same. He said that it's common to see the letters after it's all said and done, but clearly, this is a different story and not what I was objecting to.

He also said that there are some profs who do ask their students to write their own letters, but he clearly admitted that nobody respects those profs very much and that nobody really asks them for letters anymore because of this. And as for this, you don't respond to any of the specific things I said about it and you're not thinking it through either (talk about being obtuse--and talk about being in poor form). Again, do you really think it's the same: writing a letter and merely editing or merely agreeing and signing off? If the professors did not have enough time to write their own letter, do you really think they'll put in the needed time to really edit/correct/amend the already written letter? And again, you really think it's the same? And ethical? Just because the professor agrees with the unethical behavior doesn't make it ethical. What definition of ethics are you following?
Your laxity about ethical lines should make you perfect for law school.
Last edited by elsam1980 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 pm

elsam1980 wrote:First of all, I didn't call you a douche. Careful reader that you are, you should reread my response to your comments and the word douche does not appear in there. It appears in my response to the specific situation that crumpetsandtea had mentioned--I called the professor a douche (and I do think any professor who asks his/her students to do write their own letters is a douche--and let's be clear, douche is really like not that powerful of a swear word) and the students who agree to do this. But you're right, I should amend that last comment and take back calling the students that because really they are the victims in that situation and the ones being let down.

I never said you called me a douche. Careful reader that you aren't, I'm not surprised that you failed to discern that "someone" does not necessarily refer to me.

elsam1980 wrote:[Y]ou don't respond to any of the specific things I said about it and you're not thinking it through either (talk about being obtuse--and talk about being in poor form). Again, do you really think it's the same: writing a letter and merely editing or merely agreeing and signing off? If the professors did not have enough time to write their own letter, do you really think they'll put in the needed time to really edit/correct/amend the already written letter? And again, you really think it's the same? And ethical? Just because the professor agrees with the unethical behavior doesn't make it ethical. What definition of ethics are you following?
Your laxity about ethical lines should make you perfect for law school.

Once again you have misstated my position. I never said it was the same. I said it wasn't unethical. I didn't address your other points because I don't disagree with them. As a personal choice, I would not write a letter for myself, and I would resent a professor for suggesting that. But claiming that it is unethical requires more justification than your opinion. Writing your own letter need not entail dishonesty. If the professor agrees with the contents of the letter and endorses it, then no one has been wronged in any way. You don't have any entitlement to a terrific letter or any letter at all for that matter.

One of my recommenders asked me to read his letter before he sent it in, and he solicited my suggestions and approval. What exactly is wrong with that? After all, it's my future on the line, not his. He respected me enough to consider my perspective on the letter before it impacted my admissions. The only reason I didn't make any suggestions is because the letter was perfect. I hardly think I have any laxity about ethical lines. I have never been in any trouble with the law, my undergraduate university, or my law school, and I assure you that I will have no problem with bar admission. On the other hand, I think it's rather objectionable for you to make flippant accusations regarding the ethics of others.

So, you have now called people unethical and douches without any basis other than your personal feelings. Wow, that's a profound moral perspective.

elsam1980
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby elsam1980 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:45 pm

@jazzone

I didn't call people unethical; I called that specific action unethical and I do think that your not seeing it as unethical is a blurring and laxity about ethics. That's what believing that it's unethical means. If I think something is unethical and you think it is not, that means I disagree with your criteria and think they're wide and you disagree with mine and think they're narrowminded or too strict. What's wrong with that? It's still a disagreement about ethical criteria. What do you mean personal opinion? It's not unjustified, like "I love basil" kind of prepositions--it's a claim.

And I'm glad to see we agree on something at least--the way you were talking made it seem like we had no common ground. So, you agree with the fact that it's bad and you say you wouldn't yourself do it but disagree with just the unethical characterization or find it too harsh?

I am claiming that it's unethical because I don't think that the professor's agreement is the only criterion to satisfy. And yes, the letter you write on your own need not entail dishonesty in content, but I think that dishonesty is structural and immediately implicated since YOU wrote the letter and not the person who signed the letter. If a student turns in a paper that somebody else has written for him/her, the student has looked at it and said, "oh yes, this is what I think too about this issue," that paper is really not plagiarized? Is that more justification on why I think it's unethical?

And it's weird, you become aggressive (by your tone, by calling me obtuse in the previous message and by being flippant and saying I'll be perfect for law school, which is an underhanded aggressive comment), then I return the aggression (pretty much by same means) and all of a sudden I am the only one calling names?

I agree with you that calling people names is not good. You're right. I apologize for that. And I will totally refrain from getting aggressive because that doesn't do anything. In the spirit of that, I hope you have at least enjoyed some part of this debate.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:48 pm

elsam1980 wrote:I didn't call people unethical; I called that specific action unethical[.]
That's nothing but a shell game. Calling an action unethical implies that the people who engage in that action are unethical, at least in that particular respect. So yes, you did call people unethical. In fact, you called their action "nauseating," and you went further to criticize applicants who so much as see their rec letters prior to submission, regardless of whether they had any role in drafting the letter:

elsam1980 wrote:Profs seriously let students write/edit their own letters? And students really feel okay doing that? That's nauseating. . . . And you guys really feel okay writing/editing your own damn letter and sending that in? Wow...that should be under a new category of ethics questions in those law school applications. . . . And you are really not supposed to see them. That's whole code of honor and ethics and trust once again!!!
(Emphasis added)

elsam1980 wrote:I do think that your not seeing it as unethical is a blurring and laxity about ethics. That's what believing that it's unethical means. If I think something is unethical and you think it is not, that means I disagree with your criteria and think they're wide and you disagree with mine and think they're narrowminded or too strict. What's wrong with that? It's still a disagreement about ethical criteria. What do you mean personal opinion? It's not unjustified, like "I love basil" kind of prepositions--it's a claim.
The philosophy of ethics is not about your personal beliefs. It's about the values and norms of various communities and the internal consistency of their ethical standards. It makes absolutely no difference what you think. What matters is the consensi of the academic and legal communities. You have not cited any authority to support your claim. Can you provide one single example of an admissions dean who denounced the practices you criticize? Can you find a single honor code provision that discourages the practices? Can you identify a single LSAC rule that prohibits them?

elsam1980 wrote:And I'm glad to see we agree on something at least--the way you were talking made it seem like we had no common ground. So, you agree with the fact that it's bad and you say you wouldn't yourself do it but disagree with just the unethical characterization or find it too harsh?
No, I think your assertions are unjustified.

elsam1980 wrote:I am claiming that it's unethical because I don't think that the professor's agreement is the only criterion to satisfy. And yes, the letter you write on your own need not entail dishonesty in content, but I think that dishonesty is structural and immediately implicated since YOU wrote the letter and not the person who signed the letter. If a student turns in a paper that somebody else has written for him/her, the student has looked at it and said, "oh yes, this is what I think too about this issue," that paper is really not plagiarized? Is that more justification on why I think it's unethical?
This analogy is entirely inappropriate. The ethical norms pertaining to academic papers are different from those pertaining to professional letters. Signing a letter is not a claim of authorship, whereas submitting a paper is. Signing a letter is an endorsement of the ideas presented therein. As a manager of a mortgage company, I frequently asked my employees to draft letters on my behalf, which I subsequently read and signed. Incidentally, the honor code at every law school explicitly forbids one practice and not the other. That's because one is perceived as unethical, but the other is not. It is common in many contexts for the drafter of a letter to be someone other than the signatory.

elsam1980 wrote:And it's weird, you become aggressive (by your tone, by calling me obtuse in the previous message and by being flippant and saying I'll be perfect for law school, which is an underhanded aggressive comment), then I return the aggression (pretty much by same means) and all of a sudden I am the only one calling names?
My initial response was not aggressive at all:

JazzOne wrote:It's actually pretty common. There is no honor code issue as long as you're honest. You can't just send the letter in. You have to give it back to the professor for his signature and approval. Get a grip. It doesn't matter who wrote the letter if the professor agrees with the contents.

I only became incensed when you impugned "every other douche student" who engaged in a practice which is neither forbidden nor discouraged by law schools.

elsam1980 wrote:I agree with you that calling people names is not good. You're right. I apologize for that. And I will totally refrain from getting aggressive because that doesn't do anything. In the spirit of that, I hope you have at least enjoyed some part of this debate.
If you wish to dispense with the name calling, then I shall as well. However, I repeat my request for you to provide one piece of objective evidence that the practice you're criticizing is indeed unethical.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:24 pm

Holy crap guys, I didn't even read those last few comments, because at this point they have nothing to do with my post and are mainly the two of you going at it.

If you want to start a discussion on the ethics of writing your own LOR, please make a separate thread. If you'd like to continue bashing each other, please do it via PM. Either way, please don't make these posts on an on-topic thread with a question that has pretty much already been answered.

Thank you in advance for being considerate. (:

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Holy crap guys, I didn't even read those last few comments, because at this point they have nothing to do with my post and are mainly the two of you going at it.

If you want to start a discussion on the ethics of writing your own LOR, please make a separate thread. If you'd like to continue bashing each other, please do it via PM. Either way, please don't make these posts on an on-topic thread with a question that has pretty much already been answered.

Thank you in advance for being considerate. (:

The thing is, this is a public forum, not your personal answering service. Other people might be in similar situations, and I thought it was important to dispel the notion that drafting your own rec letter is an ethics violation. If someone's only option is to draft his own letter, he should bot fear C&F implications. It's not like elsam and I are arguing about a completely unrelated topic. Our debate concerns the exact scenario presented in the OP. Since you asked nicely, I'll recuse myself from the discussion, but you can't really create a thread on s public forum and then dictate the manner in which people reply.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 pm

JazzOne wrote:The thing is, this is a public forum, not your personal answering service. Other people might be in similar situations, and I thought it was important to dispel the notion that drafting your own rec letter is an ethics violation. If someone's only option is to draft his own letter, he should bot fear C&F implications. It's not like elsam and I are arguing about a completely unrelated topic. Our debate concerns the exact scenario presented in the OP. Since you asked nicely, I'll recuse myself from the discussion, but you can't really create a thread on s public forum and then dictate the manner in which people reply.


:lol: Sorry to seemingly offend! I was hardly trying to 'dictate'. If you guys decided to continue, I certainly can't stop you. It was merely a request, because every time this pops up again I keep thinking it's someone that I need to respond to.

Besides, you'll probably get a wider array of opinions/people interested in the discussion if you started another thread. Others who are stressing about the issue you guys are talking about might be more inclined to click a thread titled 'Writing your own LOR: ethical or unethical' as opposed to 'Worst LOR in the history of mankind'. (:

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JazzOne wrote:The thing is, this is a public forum, not your personal answering service. Other people might be in similar situations, and I thought it was important to dispel the notion that drafting your own rec letter is an ethics violation. If someone's only option is to draft his own letter, he should bot fear C&F implications. It's not like elsam and I are arguing about a completely unrelated topic. Our debate concerns the exact scenario presented in the OP. Since you asked nicely, I'll recuse myself from the discussion, but you can't really create a thread on s public forum and then dictate the manner in which people reply.


:lol: Sorry to seemingly offend! I was hardly trying to 'dictate'. If you guys decided to continue, I certainly can't stop you. It was merely a request, because every time this pops up again I keep thinking it's someone that I need to respond to.

Besides, you'll probably get a wider array of opinions/people interested in the discussion if you started another thread. Others who are stressing about the issue you guys are talking about might be more inclined to click a thread titled 'Writing your own LOR: ethical or unethical' as opposed to 'Worst LOR in the history of mankind'. (:

I'm not offended at all. It is very difficult to convey tone on a forum. However, I'm pretty sure that if someone searched the forum for "unethical LOR," this thread would pop up. Thread titles aren't the only way people find information here. At any rate, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Elsam called me an unethical douche, and while I readily admit that I am a douche, I am anything but unethical.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JazzOne wrote:The thing is, this is a public forum, not your personal answering service. Other people might be in similar situations, and I thought it was important to dispel the notion that drafting your own rec letter is an ethics violation. If someone's only option is to draft his own letter, he should bot fear C&F implications. It's not like elsam and I are arguing about a completely unrelated topic. Our debate concerns the exact scenario presented in the OP. Since you asked nicely, I'll recuse myself from the discussion, but you can't really create a thread on s public forum and then dictate the manner in which people reply.


:lol: Sorry to seemingly offend! I was hardly trying to 'dictate'. If you guys decided to continue, I certainly can't stop you. It was merely a request, because every time this pops up again I keep thinking it's someone that I need to respond to.

Besides, you'll probably get a wider array of opinions/people interested in the discussion if you started another thread. Others who are stressing about the issue you guys are talking about might be more inclined to click a thread titled 'Writing your own LOR: ethical or unethical' as opposed to 'Worst LOR in the history of mankind'. (:

I'm not offended at all. It is very difficult to convey tone on a forum. However, I'm pretty sure that if someone searched the forum for "unethical LOR," this thread would pop up. Thread titles aren't the only way people find information here. At any rate, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Elsam called me an unethical douche, and while I readily admit that I am a douche, I am anything but unethical.


From the posts didn't he say he didn't call you a douche and you agreed with him that he didn't refer to you as a douche but then you say here he did call you a douche?

I might be wrong. Most of the posts were tl;dr.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:42 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JazzOne wrote:The thing is, this is a public forum, not your personal answering service. Other people might be in similar situations, and I thought it was important to dispel the notion that drafting your own rec letter is an ethics violation. If someone's only option is to draft his own letter, he should bot fear C&F implications. It's not like elsam and I are arguing about a completely unrelated topic. Our debate concerns the exact scenario presented in the OP. Since you asked nicely, I'll recuse myself from the discussion, but you can't really create a thread on s public forum and then dictate the manner in which people reply.


:lol: Sorry to seemingly offend! I was hardly trying to 'dictate'. If you guys decided to continue, I certainly can't stop you. It was merely a request, because every time this pops up again I keep thinking it's someone that I need to respond to.

Besides, you'll probably get a wider array of opinions/people interested in the discussion if you started another thread. Others who are stressing about the issue you guys are talking about might be more inclined to click a thread titled 'Writing your own LOR: ethical or unethical' as opposed to 'Worst LOR in the history of mankind'. (:

I'm not offended at all. It is very difficult to convey tone on a forum. However, I'm pretty sure that if someone searched the forum for "unethical LOR," this thread would pop up. Thread titles aren't the only way people find information here. At any rate, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Elsam called me an unethical douche, and while I readily admit that I am a douche, I am anything but unethical.


From the posts didn't he say he didn't call you a douche and you agreed with him that he didn't refer to you as a douche but then you say here he did call you a douche?

I might be wrong. Most of the posts were tl;dr.

Yeah, I'm just messing around now. She didn't call me a douche. I still take offense to having my ethics questioned though. My primary academic interest is philosophy of ethics. It's one of the reasons I went to law school instead of medical school or business school. I got an A in Professional Responsibility. I'm not going to let some 0L lecture me on law school ethics.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby artichoke » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 am

This thread sucks.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:16 am

I didn't read the thread, but I'll just say: never trust unmotivated or incompetent people to represent your interests, whether you've pointed out issues to them before or not. It will bite you in the ass every time.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 am

d34dluk3 wrote:I didn't read the thread, but I'll just say: never trust unmotivated or incompetent people to represent your interests, whether you've pointed out issues to them before or not. It will bite you in the ass every time.



This is the best response so far in the thread. Some people get such satisfaction from arguing on an internet forum... Is it really worth it? You said I am unethical, no you are an unethical douche. Blah blah. I got an A in an ethics course, I am ethics expert. Haha, this stuff is hilarious.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 am

jaydizzle wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:I didn't read the thread, but I'll just say: never trust unmotivated or incompetent people to represent your interests, whether you've pointed out issues to them before or not. It will bite you in the ass every time.



This is the best response so far in the thread. Some people get such satisfaction from arguing on an internet forum... Is it really worth it? You said I am unethical, no you are an unethical douche. Blah blah. I got an A in an ethics course, I am ethics expert. Haha, this stuff is hilarious.

Great, another 0L who contributes nothing. Just what the forum needed! Let us know how many As you get at your TTT. For the life of me, I can't imagine why a future lawyer would enjoy arguing. You must be a true intellectual to have posed that question all by yourself.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 am

ROFLZ @ this thread. JazzOne went in.


Am I really the first to request that you scan and post this LOR?

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Worst LOR in the history of mankind

Postby jaydizzle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:I didn't read the thread, but I'll just say: never trust unmotivated or incompetent people to represent your interests, whether you've pointed out issues to them before or not. It will bite you in the ass every time.



This is the best response so far in the thread. Some people get such satisfaction from arguing on an internet forum... Is it really worth it? You said I am unethical, no you are an unethical douche. Blah blah. I got an A in an ethics course, I am ethics expert. Haha, this stuff is hilarious.

Great, another 0L who contributes nothing. Just what the forum needed! Let us know how many As you get at your TTT. For the life of me, I can't imagine why a future lawyer would enjoy arguing. You must be a true intellectual to have posed that question all by yourself.


Na, my mommy helped me come up with it. I also have to give credit to the man up there in the sky and my philosophy of ethics professor. This makes me an expert. The funny thing is I completely agree with all your responses. I don't think I can find one thing that makes me disagree. I'm not attacking you at all. I just find this whole thread rather hilarious. It just seemed to me you that you took everything so personally and came in attacking. I didn't find any of that necessary. With your stress levels being so high, have you considered boxing? I work out a lot right now, but boxing seems to do the trick. With my family situation the way it has been, I didn't want to start jumping on everyone for any small little detail.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests