Law school or work first?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unshake

Law school or work first?

Postby Unshake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:46 am

0L weighing out my options.

I want to work in the midwest and have submitted applications to a few schools and it seems like I have the numbers to get in (Wisconsin, Minnesota)

With the way the market is, taking on more debt for these schools seems like a bad investment at this point and I know I can score higher on the LSAT in June.

So Im considering working and ideally would like a firm job. What types of jobs should I be targeting at firms with a BS in science (Genetics)?

Is it possible to get a paralegal position or should I be targeting administrative positions? Or should I just attend one of these regional schools with little work experience straight out of undergrad if this is the region I want to work in?

ahduth

Re: Law school or work first?

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:49 am

If you want to work in the midwest, Abbott Labs jumps to mind. I think there are a few pharmaceutical companies out here.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Bump.

Are legal assistant jobs realistic with only a BS?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:24 pm

ahduth wrote:If you want to work in the midwest, Abbott Labs jumps to mind. I think there are a few pharmaceutical companies out here.

--LinkRemoved--

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Unshake wrote:Bump.

Yes, if you can find a firm that is willing to train you.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm

work first
work first
work first
work first

whatever small amount of success i'm having in law school i can attribute mostly to the fact that i worked for a bit before coming to school. knowing how truly miserable it is to work is incredibly valuable as a motivator. you'll also appreciate law school much more if you spend a year or two working. if i had come straight from undergrad i can guarantee my class rank would be lower and i'd probably hate law school because i would be comparing it to my undergrad experience. since i'm comparing law school to the working world, i love it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

work. You will have time to mature, rest your brain, and see the world from outside academia. You may find out that you like your job and field, and that its for you, or that you really want to become a lawyer, or decide to do something else. You will have time to save money, pay down your debts, and get a first hand glimpse of what its like to work in a law office. You may end up cementing your decision to go to law school ( and have a leg up on networking), be motivated to dominate your retake in june or october, or save yourself all of the hassles of studying for the lsat, and start on another path.

1001ArabiaNights

Postby 1001ArabiaNights » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm

TigerBeer wrote:work first
work first
work first
work first

whatever small amount of success i'm having in law school i can attribute mostly to the fact that i worked for a bit before coming to school. knowing how truly miserable it is to work is incredibly valuable as a motivator. you'll also appreciate law school much more if you spend a year or two working. if i had come straight from undergrad i can guarantee my class rank would be lower and i'd probably hate law school because i would be comparing it to my undergrad experience. since i'm comparing law school to the working world, i love it.

I agree with TigerBeer's conclusion. 1-2 yrs WE not only enhances your application but it also give you an opportunity to evaluate your interest in a legal career in an environment outside of school.

I think the trend for law schools to look more favorable on applicants w/WE stems (at least partially) from the fact that they find such applicants, in general, are more emotionally mature and dedicated. This is unsurprising, as these applicants, in contrast to their undergraduate counterparts, have had to navigate the perils of real-life professional and social dynamics, usually with a lesser degree of support from family. In sum, I think WE will not only make you a more attractive law applicant, but also make you a better law student.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Don't get a legal assistant job with a BS in genetics. Go work at a pharm company, or if you don't want to do that, get a consulting job or something with some meat. It will make your resume stand out to law schools, but far, far more importantly it will make your resume stand out to law firms. They get so many kids straight out of school who don't really have any useful auxiliary knowledge and know absolutely nothing about how to operate in the corporate world. It would behoove you to get a job with something to it - not a legal assistant position.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:If you want to work in the midwest, Abbott Labs jumps to mind. I think there are a few pharmaceutical companies out here.

--LinkRemoved--

Abbott Labs has it in for my credibility. :evil:

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Yea, I work as a legal assistant with a BA (for PI group not a firm), Paralegal jobs on the other hand are pretty hard to get with a bachelors degree because most places will hire a CP over a college grad 99% of the time. I applied for like 10 or so paralegal positions and only got 3 interviews.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty mature student and have been for the last couple of years. I'm less worried about the academic rigor than about the "growing up" factor that occurs during working a real job for a couple of years.

I'm waiting for a decision from schools, but its likely I'll get into one of my top choices -- Minnesota or Wisconsin (166/3.6) at sticker. I want to work in the twin cities, WI, or Chicago so region isn't a problem. Just trying to rationalize the cost (and opportunity cost).

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to start mass spamming looking for a legal assistant type job. How terrible do these typically pay at smaller firms?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”