edit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xmrmckenziex
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:26 pm

edit

Postby xmrmckenziex » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:54 pm

edit
Last edited by xmrmckenziex on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icpb
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby icpb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

If your study abroad program lasts less than one year, then you don't need to submit a transcript from the foreign school. However, I don't know how the LSAC would convert the foreign grades to American grades if you do submit a transcript from the foreign school.

flgator10
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby flgator10 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I did the same thing a couple of years ago and the grades were factored into my LSAC GPA. Hope that helps.

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:54 pm

If the grades appear on your university transcript, LSAC will factor them into your GPA even if your university doesn't. LSAC's default position is they factor every given grade they can get their mitts on.
http://lsac.org/policies/transcript-summarization.asp

I hope this helps.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

It depends on whether you're studying at an American university/program that's affiliated with some American university or whether you're studying at a foreign institution.

If it's a foreign institution, and you take 1 years worth of credits or fewer, you do not have to submit a transcript to LSAC and it will not be factored into your LSAC GPA.

However, if it is affiliated with some American university, then you will need to submit the transcript and it will affect your GPA.

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:01 pm

cinephile wrote: you do not have to submit a transcript to LSAC and it will not be factored into your LSAC GPA.


The only thing I've seen happen is, if it's on the home university transcript it will be reported to LSAC and they will use it without asking for a transcript directly from the international institution. But if others have had a different experience, it would be useful to hear from them.

xmrmckenziex
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby xmrmckenziex » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Yes, it is a program which gets its courses accredited through an American University so the grades should count based off your advice.

Thank you guys!

ohyouknow
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby ohyouknow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 pm

cinephile wrote:If it's a foreign institution, and you take 1 years worth of credits or fewer, you do not have to submit a transcript to LSAC and it will not be factored into your LSAC GPA.



You say, you don't "have" to. Can I? My study abroad credits will raise my GPA if they are factored in.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby cinephile » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:28 am

ohyouknow wrote:
cinephile wrote:If it's a foreign institution, and you take 1 years worth of credits or fewer, you do not have to submit a transcript to LSAC and it will not be factored into your LSAC GPA.



You say, you don't "have" to. Can I? My study abroad credits will raise my GPA if they are factored in.


I don't know, actually. But you could always send them a transcript anyway and see if they factor it in. You won't lose anything but the cost of ordering the transcript, and if it helps that's great!

aronald01
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:19 am

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby aronald01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 am

I'm going to hijack this thread as I have the exact same question and would like to see if people will respond in more detail in this thread before I start a new one.
My experience going through the application process this year has been that, unequivocally NO, your study abroad grades DO NOT count towards your LSAC GPA. I've spoken twice to LSAC about this, and both times they have told me that grades earned outside the United States are not factored in. I spent 6 months in South Africa through Interstudy and although my university does accept the grades for credit, they do not factor into my university GPA but are on my official transcript. My understanding is that if your home university does not factor these classes into your undergrad GPA, neither will LSAC. If anybody has had a different experience or knows how to get LSAC to add these grades in to your LSAC GPA please let me know, its more than likely the difference between me getting in to school or not.

icpb
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Study Abroad Grades?

Postby icpb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 am

aronald01 wrote:I'm going to hijack this thread as I have the exact same question and would like to see if people will respond in more detail in this thread before I start a new one.
My experience going through the application process this year has been that, unequivocally NO, your study abroad grades DO NOT count towards your LSAC GPA. I've spoken twice to LSAC about this, and both times they have told me that grades earned outside the United States are not factored in. I spent 6 months in South Africa through Interstudy and although my university does accept the grades for credit, they do not factor into my university GPA but are on my official transcript. My understanding is that if your home university does not factor these classes into your undergrad GPA, neither will LSAC. If anybody has had a different experience or knows how to get LSAC to add these grades in to your LSAC GPA please let me know, its more than likely the difference between me getting in to school or not.


So if you have the foreign institution (not affiliated with an American university and grades don't appear on my transcript at my home institution) send in the transcript and your exchange is less than one year, LSAC would not factor in the grades?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], LAW1995 and 2 guests