Who holds the biggest impact in "correcting" LS process?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Who will ultimately drive correction?

Schools? (i.e. reporting accurate numbers)
9%
ABA (i.e. monitoring LS expansion)
52%
Students (i.e. figuring out $140k debt not changed landscape)
29%
"Legal field" (i.e. expanding to accomodate increase in enrollment)
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 65

glitched

Re: Who holds the biggest impact in "correcting" LS process?

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm

put a strict curve on all university degrees (like that in hard science or engineering) and we will start seeing changes.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 pm

glitched wrote:put a strict curve on all university degrees (like that in hard science or engineering) and we will start seeing changes.

+1

Or require universities to maintain a certain level of job placement success to keep a department open. This would solve the law school problem and the useless degree problem with one law.

Some good universities, like Harvard, could still have Fine Arts departments or law schools, but bad universities would have to stop ripping off students and parents. Schools ranked at the bottom would be able to offer only the most vocational degrees.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:57 pm

niederbomb wrote:
glitched wrote:put a strict curve on all university degrees (like that in hard science or engineering) and we will start seeing changes.

+1

Or require universities to maintain a certain level of job placement success to keep a department open. This would solve the law school problem and the useless degree problem with one law.

Some good universities, like Harvard, could still have Fine Arts departments or law schools, but bad universities would have to stop ripping off students and parents. Schools ranked at the bottom would be able to offer only the most vocational degrees.

I really don't agree. I think if someone wants a useless degree, more power to them. I have multiple friends with history and communications degrees who loved their time in school, and know they will not get a job related to that degree. Nevertheless, they got a degree because that's what you need to get an entry-level job.

I have a science degree, and I believe my science degree should lead to a job. But, I really don't care what undergrad degrees others get. I don't think changing the undergrad degree structure will change LS, I think something else has to change.

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:11 pm

That's the thing - it will promote only truly passionate people to study those subjects. Students will start wondering why they are working so hard for a degree that really won't be too useful and switch into more practical majors to ultimately become a productive member of society. Also gpas will start to mean so much more and be a better indicator of talent.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 pm

glitched wrote:Students will start wondering why they are working so hard for a degree that really won't be too useful and switch into more practical majors to ultimately become a productive member of society.

Yeah but tbf this should be happening now with liberal art and pre-law students but it's not.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Universities have been pumping out useless doctorates and liberal arts UG's for some time, and the market hasn't changed this state of affairs on its own.

The difference is that you normally don't pay a school to get your doctorate. In fact, they pay you. So who cares if it's worthless, I mean it's 5 years of your life that you could've spent otherwise, but at least you're not in debt.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm normally very heavily in support of personal accountability, but in this case I think the ABA will easily have the biggest impact. Or, even to cover both bases, not only do I think they will, I think they should.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

cinephile wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
Universities have been pumping out useless doctorates and liberal arts UG's for some time, and the market hasn't changed this state of affairs on its own.

The difference is that you normally don't pay a school to get your doctorate. In fact, they pay you. So who cares if it's worthless, I mean it's 5 years of your life that you could've spent otherwise, but at least you're not in debt.

Yeah, that should say useless masters.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 pm

gens1tb wrote:
cinephile wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

Yeah, that should say useless masters.

Exactly. The reason they pay you (tuition waivers + paycheck) is because you make low wages to do the majority of research for your advisor, which they ultimately take credit for while you receive a small acknowledgment. But at least it is not a debt-ridden pursuit.

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 am

If people stopped caring about what others thought about them, this world would probably be a better place. I read that quote somewhere and I thought it was applicable here...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”