Why x Essays for UCLA, UT, Vandy Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pricer

Silver

Why x Essays for UCLA, UT, Vandy

Post by Pricer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Would it be worth my time to write a Why x Law School essay for UCLA, UT, or Vandy? My numbers are looking like a toss up this cycle on LSN (3.69/169), especially this late. I applied to all three on 1/12, with UCLA going complete 1/13, Vandy on 1/21, and UT still hasn't sent me an email with status checker info or to say my app is complete. I also applied to USC, but I think my numbers are ok there. My softs are probably below average and my LoRs and personal statement are probably average. It does not look like I will get dinged at any of these in the first round, so should I just wait and write an LOCI if I get WLed?

I'm just looking for some input from TLS users. LSP and TLS profiles rely on data from previous years, and LSN data is comprised of only volunteered information. Some people with my numbers got into these schools, but a lot of them applied early and are just hearing back. Others with my numbers are having a hard time, especially getting accepted at Vandy.

Note: Vanderbilt is my top choice, with UT close behind (hoping for money from each). I would hate to not even get accepted.

de5igual

Silver

Re: Why x Essays for UCLA, UT, Vandy

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:01 pm

you'll be in w/ $ at UT without a "Why x" essay (I'm not even sure if UT accepts a "Why x" essay)

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:you'll be in w/ $ at UT without a "Why x" essay (I'm not even sure if UT accepts a "Why x" essay)
I hope so. I would love to work in Atlanta, but I am definitely down to move to Austin and give Dallas a try after graduation. If UT offers money and Vandy does not, it will be a tough call between that and UGA for much cheaper (in state, accepted tonight).

On another note, should I even bother writing a Why UVA essay? I applied there (fee waiver, why not?), but it looks like I am auto-ding according to LSN this cycle. I would consider paying sticker there, but I did not want to ED and get stuck with only that option.

lawyersofcatan

New

Post by lawyersofcatan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 pm

if you have a compelling reason as to why you want to go to X school why wouldn't you write it?

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:17 pm

I feel like I have pretty good reasons for Vandy and UT, and of course UVA because of its high biglaw placement, but I'm just wondering if this will actually increase my chances of admission. Also, would it possibly have any bearing on scholarship money? Would a school be more likely to offer me money, or possibly even offer more money than they did to other applicants with my numbers, if I made a very compelling case? I have not read any evidence of this, statistical or anecdotal, but I have not exactly looked into it, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyersofcatan

New

Post by lawyersofcatan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 pm

my opinion is that if you are sincere, your reason is compelling, and you write it well it can only add to the body of evidence that you are a strong candidate. will this factor into scholarship decisions? no idea, but i'm not sure how it could hurt you.

why don't you write the statements and see how you feel about it then?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Pricer wrote:I feel like I have pretty good reasons for Vandy and UT, and of course UVA because of its high biglaw placement, but I'm just wondering if this will actually increase my chances of admission. Also, would it possibly have any bearing on scholarship money? Would a school be more likely to offer me money, or possibly even offer more money than they did to other applicants with my numbers, if I made a very compelling case? I have not read any evidence of this, statistical or anecdotal, but I have not exactly looked into it, either.
don't know about vandy or uva, but UT's scholarship criteria depends solely on 3 things 1) numbers, 2) in-state status, and 3) URM status

out of state is based solely on #s (typically 1 pt above median LSAT w/ median-ish GPA or .1 above median GPA w/ median LSAT will get something)
you can be below the median and in-state and get $ (on top of already getting in-state tuition); the school also offers various grants that are only available for Tx residents--not sure of the criteria for those
any URM (even Mex-Am, which purportedly doesn't get quite the boost for admissions here) gets hefty $

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 am

First of all, many schools don't expressly request or accept "Why X" essays but really all of them will.

That said, UCLA kind of encourages an extra essay about one of their special programs. Basically, I wrote a one page "Why the Philosophy Specialization" essay.

PM me if you want to see what I wrote. But basically, just look through their website, look at what programs they have, choose one, and write a one page essay on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”