Why is the AA debate binary?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Veyron

Why is the AA debate binary?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I don't understand why, in all of these recent threads on this topic - everyone seems to stake out one position or the other.

If AA is unconstitutional, it should be banned at public universities. However, why shouldn't private universities be able to do whatever the fuck they want?

Edit: Mods, if this should be posted in off-topic feel free to move it. I forget where these are supposed to go.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Cosby

Re: Why is the AA debate binary?

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:20 pm

For the same reason they're not able to say they'll only admit white students.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I think interstate commerce clause can be used.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 pm

People don't "debate" about AA on the internet. They yell.

Also: IBTL

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Veyron wrote:However, why shouldn't private universities be able to do whatever the fuck they want?

Massive federal subsidization?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:27 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:I think interstate commerce clause can be used.

Sure, but then again, the Icommerice clause can be used to do just about anything. But I'm coming at this from the conservative perspective that it SHOULDN'T. Certainly people with a similar outlook, as most AA proponents profess to share, would have to agree that the government messing with the admissions policies of a school is undesirable.

Although... I do see the elegance of your argument. Is education interstate commerce if I fly from X state to Y state to attend school? Possibly - even for the strict constructionist. Its a nice way to avoid using the 14th amendment as a hook since the private thing would give you more problems there.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
Veyron wrote:However, why shouldn't private universities be able to do whatever the fuck they want?

So people who live in section 8 housing should have their lives similarly regulated?

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Veyron wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:

So people who live in section 8 housing should have their lives similarly regulated?

What the... Are you a 1L? This is such a "I learned to make [strained] analogies," moment.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:

What the... Are you a 1L? This is such a "I learned to make [strained] analogies," moment.

What the... are you a junior high school student. This is such a "I learned to make ad hominem attacks" moment.

If you want to give me the beat down with some legal reasoning, on the other hand, I'd be glad to take it. I'm trying to build some constitutional analysis skills here.

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Veyron wrote: What the... are you a junior high school student. This is such a "I learned to make ad hominem attacks" moment.

If you want to give me the beat down with some legal reasoning, on the other hand, I'd be glad to take it. I'm trying to build some constitutional analysis skills here.

I'll take your unnecessary use of latin as a "yes." I wasn't really attacking you. Your analogy doesn't at all respond to my comment... so I didn't see a need to answer. But, I get a kick out of the absurd analogies you draw... To answer your question, YES. Section 8 housing is by definition government regulation. The very name is a reference to a statute... AND yes, those living in Section 8 housing are, and should be, regulated by the government. But, I don't really understand what this has to do with constitutional analysis.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Veyron wrote:Edit: Mods, if this should be posted in off-topic feel free to move it. I forget where these are supposed to go.

This tells me you knew well enough that you shouldn't be doing this. Enjoy your tempban.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”