Where do I go?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rory1987

Where do I go?

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm

This is still early, because I haven’t received scholly details from all places yet – though I have at some -- but I’m in them all and using LSN I’ve guestimated what kind of money I’m likely to receive – so shoot.

Vanderbilt ($75,000)
Cornell ($45,000 assuming they will match Michigan)
Michigan ($45,000)
Temple (full ride)
W&M (graduate fellowship and near a full ride)
Illinois (full ride)
BU ($75,000)
Georgetown (assuming they’ll match Michigan at $45,000)
Texas ($69,000)
*I still need to hear back from GWU at all – it looks like I’d have a shot at $105,000 if I get in, though.

I really want to work in Philadelphia after graduation and would like to make some sort of meaningful living. NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Providence would be alright, too, as would San Francisco and Chicago, though I realize that most of the schools here won’t get me there without ties. I have ties to Pittsburgh, Philly, and Boston (very strong with the first two), however, and anyone can apparently get to NYC.

Vanderbilt is really intriguing, not only because of their BigLaw placement and nice scholarship, but because it’s located in a major city – unlike Michigan and Cornell – but will have a lower COL than GTown. However, looking at their brochures and info they sent me when I was accepted, they sent ONE graduate to Pennsylvania last year – and that person is clerking in Harrisburg with some judge. That scares me. They did send a lot to NYC, but the rest of their Northeast placement leaves a lot to be desired. (They did send a nice amount to DC, but I’d prefer to stay above the Mason-Dixon line long-term). My gut says Cornell, my heart says Vanderbilt, and my mind says Michigan. Another part of me actually says W&M for some odd reason. And yet another part of me says that Texas is the best option career and money wise – great school, nice scholly, opens up another good market, awesome city, could maybe at least get back to NYC after graduation, et cetera.

Thoughts?

I know it’s still early, but I already stay up at night thinking about this and its already driving me nuts even though deposit day is still months away and I still have to visit some of these schools.

txadv11

Re: Where do I go?

Postby txadv11 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 pm

If I had your choices, I'd take Vandy or UT.
Also congrats on a good cycle!

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm

UT is also attractive to me because I would love to do a clerkship. I'm just worried that I may struggle to return to the great old Northeast if I go there.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Man this board is dead today.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 pm

those all sound like great options, especially vandy and UT. you are right about gtown cost of living - cornell and mich would probably be better options if you wanted to look at lower schols but it really depends on where you want to be for 3 years and where you want to ultimately work

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm

also, congrats on an awesome cycle!

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Did you apply to UPenn?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:32 pm

This is tough. If you're dead-set on Philly, Temple should be a serious option. Did you apply to Penn? Texas is attractive, but if you want to work in the NE, you can probably scratch it off. GULC, Illinois, and W&M can be thrown away, too. Michigan looks awfully good from here, and I would choose UM over a matching scholly from Cornell. Vandy could also be an option, and you should definitely let them know about your Michigan scholarship. If they can boost their offer (and I assume the $75k is speculative at this point), they could be a real contender.

So uh... hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:41 pm

I did apply to UPenn, but IF I even get in, it will probably be at sticker. I do have ties to Philadelphia (went to UG there and lived there for six years and all my friends are there).

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm

beachbum wrote:This is tough. If you're dead-set on Philly, Temple should be a serious option. Did you apply to Penn? Texas is attractive, but if you want to work in the NE, you can probably scratch it off. GULC, Illinois, and W&M can be thrown away, too. Michigan looks awfully good from here, and I would choose UM over a matching scholly from Cornell. Vandy could also be an option, and you should definitely let them know about your Michigan scholarship. If they can boost their offer (and I assume the $75k is speculative at this point), they could be a real contender.

So uh... hope that helps a little. Good luck.

Vandy is speculative -- looks like I may even be able to milk $90,000 out of them, but we'll see. I also like the school more than Cornell and Michigan, but I feel that Cornell and Michigan have a better presence in Philadelphia and the NE overall. And should I seriously consider Temple? I know they own Philly, but being median at Temple scares me.

Also, since I have strong ties to the NE, could Texas potentially get me back here since it's such a great school?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 am

bump

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Take Temple if you want Philly so badly. They seem to do pretty well there.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 pm

another shameless bump

RareBreed

Postby RareBreed » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 pm

It's pretty simple, really. If you want to practice in Philly, your best options are Penn and Temple. Personally I'd take Penn at sticker over a full ride at Temple, but that's probably because my parents are willing to pay for school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Penn
Michigan
Cornell
Temple

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 pm

RareBreed wrote:It's pretty simple, really. If you want to practice in Philly, your best options are Penn and Temple. Personally I'd take Penn at sticker over a full ride at Temple, but that's probably because my parents are willing to pay for school.

Really? Temple over Cornell for Philly?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm

bump

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
RareBreed wrote:It's pretty simple, really. If you want to practice in Philly, your best options are Penn and Temple. Personally I'd take Penn at sticker over a full ride at Temple, but that's probably because my parents are willing to pay for school.

Really? Temple over Cornell for Philly?

Michigan over Cornell for pure job prospects. Temple over Cornell for debt reduction.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:36 pm

OP, if you have strong enough ties to Philly, they're not going to hold it against you if you go to a top 10 school in another area. I would certainly not take Temple over any of your T14 acceptances, especially since you are getting some decent money from these schools.

It really comes down to 1) how debt averse you are and 2) how much you want to be in Philly. If you are willing to work elsewhere, those offers at Vandy and UIUC are enticing. But personally, I'd go to whichever is cheapest between Penn, Michigan, Cornell, and GULC.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, if you have strong enough ties to Philly, they're not going to hold it against you if you go to a top 10 school in another area. I would certainly not take Temple over any of your T14 acceptances, especially since you are getting some decent money from these schools.

It really comes down to 1) how debt averse you are and 2) how much you want to be in Philly. If you are willing to work elsewhere, those offers at Vandy and UIUC are enticing. But personally, I'd go to whichever is cheapest between Penn, Michigan, Cornell, and GULC.

Could any argument here be made for Texas? Could it get me back to the northeast since I have ties or would that be a bit of a gamble? Part of me likes the idea of living in Austin for three years and the money is nice, too.

Also, I’m leaning toward taking a T14 over Temple, but would Vandy be worth it too? I’m still having a difficult gauging how they place compare to the lower T14. They seem to have done well recently, but will that last? Is median at Vandy the same as median at Penn, Cornell, Michigan, and GULC?

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

bump

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:OP, if you have strong enough ties to Philly, they're not going to hold it against you if you go to a top 10 school in another area. I would certainly not take Temple over any of your T14 acceptances, especially since you are getting some decent money from these schools.

Could any argument here be made for Texas? Could it get me back to the northeast since I have ties or would that be a bit of a gamble? Part of me likes the idea of living in Austin for three years and the money is nice, too.

Also, I’m leaning toward taking a T14 over Temple, but would Vandy be worth it too? I’m still having a difficult gauging how they place compare to the lower T14. They seem to have done well recently, but will that last? Is median at Vandy the same as median at Penn, Cornell, Michigan, and GULC?

You should look at the NJL250 for placement data. Vanderbilt places well, effectively the same as LOW T14.

Medians: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=128236

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Rory1987 wrote:

median at Penn = Michigan > Cornell = GULC = Vandy, unless you're shooting for NYC, in which case Cornell is better.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

whitman wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

median at Penn = Michigan > Cornell = GULC = Vandy, unless you're shooting for NYC, in which case Cornell is better.

Could any argument be made that Vandy is better than GULC, even if cost is equal?

acadec

Postby acadec » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Not a very convincing one, especially if you're looking to work in the NE. The best reason I can see to pick Vandy over GULC at equal cost is that COL is lower in Nashville than DC.

Still, my vote goes to Michigan.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”