Value of a JD/MBA Internationally

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mottainai

Value of a JD/MBA Internationally

Postby mottainai » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:22 am

Didn't know where to post this, so I hope that this is in the right forum.

I was just curious if anyone had any insight on the value of a JD/MBA and the portability of the degree internationally. This would be from a top institution (let's say Northwestern). Would this degree be more portable than a JD alone from a T14 in a country like Australia? Is it worth the extra cost to be more attractive to a large firm with international branches?

I'm completely clueless and would love some insight.

niederbomb

Re: Value of a JD/MBA Internationally

Postby niederbomb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Why not go to an Australian university to practice in Australia? The only place I can think of where getting an American degree to practice internationally makes sense is in Asia because business is big while most of the local universities suck.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:42 pm

niederbomb wrote:Why not go to an Australian university to practice in Australia? The only place I can think of where getting an American degree to practice internationally makes sense is in Asia because business is big while most of the local universities suck.

My impression was that a T14 degree would be more portable if I wanted to go back and forth. I haven't really decided for sure that I want to practice in Australia yet, but getting a degree there would pretty much lock me in.

On a personal note, my significant other is Aussie and that certainly is swaying me towards practicing in Australia, but I don't want to make any long-term plans that might limit a return back to the US to practice.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

mottainai wrote:Didn't know where to post this, so I hope that this is in the right forum.

I was just curious if anyone had any insight on the value of a JD/MBA and the portability of the degree internationally. This would be from a top institution (let's say Northwestern). Would this degree be more portable than a JD alone from a T14 in a country like Australia? Is it worth the extra cost to be more attractive to a large firm with international branches?

I'm completely clueless and would love some insight.

What do you want to do? I think it could be helpful, but its certainly a lot more expensive (I have been grappling with that fact recently).

From what I know a JD/MBA helps you break into transactional work at a higher level than your grades would otherwise predict. Since the practice of most US firms internationally is related to transactional work (cross border M&A), I think it would give you a bit of a leg up.

Check out what firms have Australian offices and how large they are. My guess is that it's pretty small and most Australian business goes through the Asian office (maybe Singapore?), but that is just a guess.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”