Too late? 4.05 GPA/167 URM (Mexican)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vi_vi

Too late? 4.05 GPA/167 URM (Mexican)

Postby vi_vi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:06 am

Last edited by vi_vi on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: Too late? 4.05 GPA/167 URM (Mexican)

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 am

vi_vi wrote:I've been waiting up until day before yesterday for LSAC to receive my main letter of recommendation (she was abroad and found it hard to get it in on time :( )

In short I realize I am applying a little late in the game...
I'm 33 years old and a URM with relatively ok stats (4.05 summa cum laude, dept honors, various fellowships and awards). Went to UCLA undergrad, started a PhD at Univ of Chicago and completed my Masters at UCLA. I've worked on issues related to homelessness, human trafficking, human rights, and identity politics. I've worked for the National Endowment for Democracy and I'm currently holding down two full time jobs: World Relief were I work for the Office of Refugee Relations and for FCCAU a homeless shelter run by the state of Maryland. I plan on doing human rights/international law.

Schools I am applying to:
UVA, UCLA, Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Berkley, Cornell, NYU, UPenn, American, USC, UofC, Northwestern, Yale, UMich, Catholic and George Washington.

I have pretty strong LOR and I think a fairly well written PS. How badly do you think my cycle is going to go considering how late I am applying? UVA is my number 1 school, I met with Dean Trujillo and also had a former AdComm (who is a friend of the family) write me a letter specifically for UVA.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! Fingers crossed and good luck to you all!

I'd wait a cycle and apply early, and you'd be looking at a strong shot at HYSCCN. You still have a shot there, but a lot of seats have been taking up at this point. But no, it's not too late, but you won't maximize your cycle like you would if you applied early. You should still see some great acceptances if you applied soon. You may be out of the running for some scholarship money though.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:32 am

Apply now and see where you get accepted. If satisfied, attend.

If not, then reapply for 12

canes

Postby canes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 am

Apply now only to schools you'd seriously consider attending. (For example, you have no business applying to American or Catholic--if you really want to be in DC, go to GULC or take what would be close to a full ride at GW)

Apply early next cycle, go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. If you really want UVA, go there with plenty of money.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

canes wrote:Apply now only to schools you'd seriously consider attending. (For example, you have no business applying to American or Catholic--if you really want to be in DC, go to GULC or take what would be close to a full ride at GW)

Apply early next cycle, go to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. If you really want UVA, go there with plenty of money.

This. Harvard is in. Yale is definitely not out of the question.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”