Citizenship Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSATurday

Citizenship Question

Postby LSATurday » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 pm

I am a dual-citizen (Canada/USA). Although I was born and lived my whole life in the US. On some of my applications I indicated that I was born in the US but would mark Canada under citizenship when their was an option. A few of the colleges that I applied to under the status checker have Canada listed as the "Country of Ctzn" at least one had USA/Canada listed.

My question is do schools review Canadians as different or international students for admissions purposes or will my permanent and current US addresses and birthplace put me in the category I should be in. Should I email all these schools to make sure they know I am not an international applicant?

TruffleMomma

Re: Citizenship Question

Postby TruffleMomma » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 pm

LSATurday wrote:I am a dual-citizen (Canada/USA). Although I was born and lived my whole life in the US. On some of my applications I indicated that I was born in the US but would mark Canada under citizenship when their was an option. A few of the colleges that I applied to under the status checker have Canada listed as the "Country of Ctzn" at least one had USA/Canada listed.

My question is do schools review Canadians as different or international students for admissions purposes or will my permanent and current US addresses and birthplace put me in the category I should be in. Should I email all these schools to make sure they know I am not an international applicant?

If I were putting in your information, I would also have put in Canada as the country of citizenship. In the US, as you probably know, we don't recognize dual citizenship. The big difference I believe will be in the tuition... for example, here at UA, our international students are required to have (our campus) health insurance and pay a higher rate per credit hour... significantly higher. I don't think it would be a bad idea to clarify...

rose711

Re: Citizenship Question

Postby rose711 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 am

LSATurday wrote:I am a dual-citizen (Canada/USA). Although I was born and lived my whole life in the US. On some of my applications I indicated that I was born in the US but would mark Canada under citizenship when their was an option. A few of the colleges that I applied to under the status checker have Canada listed as the "Country of Ctzn" at least one had USA/Canada listed.

Why did you do that? It doesn't sound like you have any real ties to Canada? What were you hoping to accomplish?

You should clarify right away unless there is some benefit you expect to obtain that I am not seeing. Explain that you are a dual-citizen and that you weren't sure how to mark it, or something. Like I said, I don't know how you would benefit from being seen as Canadian.

I think that you shouldn't expect the admissions committee to waste time figuring out that you are a US citizen by birth and a Canadian citizen by ??? . And who knows who inputs the data into the status checker. Just get it cleared up and save yourself a headache down the road.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”