North Carolina residency question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uncwj83
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 am

North Carolina residency question

Postby uncwj83 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 pm

I've got a residency question for any folks who may have some insight on the matter. I'm applying to UNC School of Law when applications open in the fall (so I'd start fall 2012; not this coming fall term). I was born in Winston-Salem, NC and grew up there, graduated high school, registered to vote, voted, driver license, etc etc etc....I went to college in Mississippi for 4 years, graduated, moved back and lived with a parent for several months while working. Long story short, I moved to South Carolina to work, but spent less than a year there. I still have a valid NC Driver License, voter reg, bank accounts, church membership, etc, but did pay SC state income taxes for the time I was there (although I received a tax refund from the state). From my point of view (reading the NC residency long form from UNC), the permanent domicile they refer to would be sustained by my parent's home where I grew up and lived for a time after college as well. This, coupled with the supporting documents I would think would be enough to maintain my NC residency (although I lived out of state for a time), and would make admission much more likely due to the UNC's 75% IS vs 25% OOS standard they try to employ.

That was a whole lot more than I meant to write, so if you've gotten this far, thanks for reading. Any thoughts about whether I'm still classified as an NC resident is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:44 pm

UNC (all state schools) are pretty strict about the 12 month residency rule. Unlike many other states, simply showing intent to stay in NC isn't enough. You can apply, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I tried exactly what you did, did all the paperwork, but they still classified me as a "non-resident". Annoying as hell. You should try though, you have a little more going for you when it comes to being a resident than I did.

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby dddhhh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

UNC is crucial about their NC resident status. Fill out the long form and be prepared to battle it out...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm

dextermorgan wrote:UNC (all state schools) are pretty strict about the 12 month residency rule. Unlike many other states, simply showing intent to stay in NC isn't enough. You can apply, but it's going to be an uphill battle.


Just want to say that schools definitely vary in how strict they are about being able to attain residency once you have already started school.

uncwj83
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 am

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby uncwj83 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:13 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I tried exactly what you did, did all the paperwork, but they still classified me as a "non-resident". Annoying as hell. You should try though, you have a little more going for you when it comes to being a resident than I did.


Would you mind telling me what you presented in order to try to get NC residency? I am still listed as a dependent for tax purposes with my dad who lives in NC. This is taken from the NC legislature's explanation on residency for tuition purposes:

"If the person�s parents are domiciliaries of North Carolina under the statute, this fact constitutes prima facie evidence that the person is a domiciliary of North Carolina. This prima facie showing may also be overcome by other evidence to the contrary."

It seems that the 12 month rule, by the time October rolls around would be satisfied because I would be domiciled in NC for 12 months prior to application submission even though I was temporarily out of the state. The domicile of the parent should still apply. I guess I'll have to wait until I send in the application to know anything.

uncwj83
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:33 am

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby uncwj83 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:UNC (all state schools) are pretty strict about the 12 month residency rule. Unlike many other states, simply showing intent to stay in NC isn't enough. You can apply, but it's going to be an uphill battle.


Just want to say that schools definitely vary in how strict they are about being able to attain residency once you have already started school.


It makes all the difference in being admitted, though, because UNC reserves about 75% of its incoming class every year to North Carolina residents. So it makes admissions much more difficult for out of state applicants.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 pm

uncwj83 wrote:It makes all the difference in being admitted, though, because UNC reserves about 75% of its incoming class every year to North Carolina residents. So it makes admissions much more difficult for out of state applicants.


This is true. I meant to say gaining in-state tuition, not residency.

shikorina
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: North Carolina residency question

Postby shikorina » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:50 am

Cosigning that UNC is difficult re: residency. I had a friend live in NC for >1 year in an attempt to get in-state status to get in at the dental school and they denied her because she wasn't "fully independent" from her parents in MD.

"......(although I received a tax refund from the state)." Are you referring to NC too? Did you file taxes in both states? Either way, If you're still classified as a dependent on your father's taxes and lived in SC for less than a year, I'd venture to say you'd probably be considered an NC resident. Especially considering you still have all the standards for an NC resident (drivers license, voter reg card, etc.).

Assuming you're not classified a resident though....
For one, UNC Law classes begin in August, so as far as residency for tuition purposes, you would need to be classified by the beginning of the semester in which you intend to have in-state tuition. Worth a shot though, anyway.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests