Obama said the United States needs to produce more....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Obama said the United States needs to produce more....

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Sogui wrote:The best thing a lawyer will ever do for this country is find a way to reduce the number of lawyers that our system needs.

By and large we are just a really expensive transaction cost

What we need is to put a stop to outsourcing work. You think we have it tough? Tell that to an engineer who got replaced by a Chinese one for 10% of his wages.
/sarcasm

Wrong poster is wrong.

Fixed.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35 am

ResolutePear wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Sogui wrote:The best thing a lawyer will ever do for this country is find a way to reduce the number of lawyers that our system needs.

What we need is to put a stop to outsourcing work. You think we have it tough? Tell that to an engineer who got replaced by a Chinese one for 10% of his wages.
/sarcasm

Wrong poster is wrong.

Fixed.

Is outsourcing in engineering getting bad? I'm assuming this is more EE's, CompE's, and ME's? I personally don't know any other engineers that have said anything about it, but I work in the defense industry so I can be thankful for ITAR agreements.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 am

CG614 wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:Studying economics is just a really quick way to get upset when people talk about things :(

Care to expound?

Wanna fight about it?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:50 am

ResolutePear wrote:

Outsourcing what work, legal, engineering or just generally?

bostlaw

Postby bostlaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

ahduth wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Outsourcing what work, legal, engineering or just generally?

i think he was refering to engineering

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:19 pm

I was being sarcastic. Although there is outsourcing, it's much more popular in I.T. and Computer Science fields and has been a favorable way to keep costs down from corporate standpoints since ~2002 IIRC although I know the practice has been going on for much longer than that.

There are still plenty of I.T./Comp. Sci. jobs provided you're qualified.. there would just be A LOT more entry level positions(Tech support, for instance).

But on the subject of Engineering and Law, both have mechanisms to prevent a lot of this from happening through licensing(PE, Bar) in some cases. Though the PE doesn't count for much when you have companies in SKorea like Samsung building barges 24/7 because it's cheaper to do it there than here. I suspect we'll eventually see the same with law through the same globalization taking place in other industries.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”