T14 LGBT-ness

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neonx

T14 LGBT-ness

Postby neonx » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I think it will factor in a lot concerning where I want to be for the next three years.

Of the Top 14 law schools, which ones have the most LGBT diversity / active Outlaw group?

Any anecdotal evidence would be greatly appreciated. =)

MrPapagiorgio

Re: T14 LGBT-ness

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Boalt

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 pm

NYU.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 pm

you'd be happy in ithaca

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am

You should also ask which ones you'd be least happy at: NU, Duke, and UVA?

The rest are all fine.

ExpectLess

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am

niederbomb wrote:You should also ask which ones you'd be least happy at: NU, Duke, and UVA?

The rest are all fine.

Actually, in my Duke admissions packet there was a handwritten note about the strength and activeness of the LGBT faculty and community.

UVA, on the other hand, apparently didn't have a single out person in their 1L class last year. That almost seems statistically impossible unless the admissions weren't interested in that aspect of diversity or it was a huge self-selection thing.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:05 pm

ExpectLess wrote:
niederbomb wrote:You should also ask which ones you'd be least happy at: NU, Duke, and UVA?

The rest are all fine.

Actually, in my Duke admissions packet there was a handwritten note about the strength and activeness of the LGBT faculty and community.

UVA, on the other hand, apparently didn't have a single out person in their 1L class last year. That almost seems statistically impossible unless the admissions weren't interested in that aspect of diversity or it was a huge self-selection thing.

Whoa, not a single out person? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

Anyhow, Georgetown Law seems LGBT-friendly (don't let the Catholic thing throw you off): I know a bunch of people (including some friends) who're members of Outlaws there. And DC's super gay.
Cornell included out LGBT numbers (9%, which is a very good number for out people, accounting for some who are not out) in their regular diversity statistics box.
Got a very cool email from Dean Zearfoss at Michigan about being contacted by their Outlaws (only one of my 5 acceptances to send me that email already).
NYU, of course, is awesome in general. Columbia is in New York too, so should be fine.
Boalt, since it's at Berkeley.

I know nothing about the other schools. Duke undergrad's had some anti-gay drama in the past, but it's gotten WAY better (much like Georgetown undergrad).

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Penn is pretty gay-friendly as well. The LGBT scene in Philadelphia is quite good from what I hear and the school itself offers a concentration track in Gender and Sexuality law. I could probably go about this for another paragraph but then I would just be telling you how much I like what I know about Penn. It essentially comes down to this: what schools are located in big cities with large gay populations? Add to that the fact that certain schools (NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Penn) have distinct concentrations within LGBT law and you have some gay stuff going on. Overall I think most of the top 14 will be good, but I would personally steer clear of Duke and UVA simply because they are not located in the most gay-friendly cities and that would make having a "gay" social life relatively difficult in my opinion.

Hooray for LGBT TLSers. I dig it!

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 pm

CLS is gay friendly. We have an active Outlaws group and I am fairly certain 1/4 of the class is gay.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:

The rest are all fine.

Whoa, not a single out person? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

Anyhow, Georgetown Law seems LGBT-friendly (don't let the Catholic thing throw you off): I know a bunch of people (including some friends) who're members of Outlaws there. And DC's super gay.
Cornell included out LGBT numbers (9%, which is a very good number for out people, accounting for some who are not out) in their regular diversity statistics box.
Got a very cool email from Dean Zearfoss at Michigan about being contacted by their Outlaws (only one of my 5 acceptances to send me that email already).
NYU, of course, is awesome in general. Columbia is in New York too, so should be fine.
Boalt, since it's at Berkeley.

I know nothing about the other schools. Duke undergrad's had some anti-gay drama in the past, but it's gotten WAY better (much like Georgetown undergrad).

And Larry Craig hasn't even been there in 2 years.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”