Where can i get in (low LSAT)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paulshortys10

Where can i get in (low LSAT)

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:27 am

3.43 gpa, 154 lsat, URM, great letters, great statement...

Out of the TOP 100 schools, where do I have Some chance of getting in? doesn't matter the location, i just want to see where...
I'm gonna retake the LSAT in June, but i just wanted to ask this question out of curiosity.

Thanks for your response in advanced.

bk1

Re: Where can i get in (low LSAT)

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 am

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 am

Depending on the URM, you may not be out of the T2 (51-100). I would spread my apps out to a bunch of T2/TTT, see who bites, and take the best scholly offer.

Also, retake.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 am

I see that both of you booked it over to a stats thread! :P

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 am

bk1 wrote:http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com

You're welcome.

Whoa cool website man.

I kinda was hoping for some sort of opinion though.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 am

paulshortys10 wrote:3.43 gpa, 154 lsat, URM, great letters, great statement...

Out of the TOP 100 schools, where do I have Some chance of getting in? doesn't matter the location, i just want to see where...
I'm gonna retake the LSAT in June, but i just wanted to ask this question out of curiosity.

What type of URM?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Whoa cool website man.

I kinda was hoping for some sort of opinion though.

Anybody on this forum who has an opinion will have based that opinion on LSN/LSP/schools' medians (though not the latter for URMs).

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 am

DeeCee wrote:

What type of URM?

Mexican.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:53 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

What type of URM?

Mexican.

You have a better chance than you would otherwise. Make sure to check the URM box on http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm. This could give you an idea, though the admissions cycle is pretty unpredictable for URMs.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 am

I got into American with a 153 and 2.9

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:59 am

In NY, I'd say you have a very good shot at Syracuse...whether or not you should go (at sticker) is a whole different matter...

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm gonna retake the LSAT in June, but i just wanted to ask this question out of curiosity.

How much work did you do for that LSAT score? Did you follow any of the guides here? Did you do all or most of the past tests?

Most people retaking the LSAT will see little or no difference in their score. If, however, you didn't do as much studying as you could have, you might have the potential to make a substantial improvement.

Getting into the 160s would change your prospects so substantially, you could discount anything you're told based on your current numbers.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 pm

overunderachiever wrote:In NY, I'd say you have a very good shot at Syracuse...whether or not you should go (at sticker) is a whole different matter...

You have a decent shot at SYracuse. However, it costs 44k a year, plus living expenses ( 63k total). They have a lot of scholarships and need based aid, but if you have to pay sticker, or close to it, I would stay away. What state are you from? Where do you want to work? Figure that out, and blanket those schools. however, your best bet would be to re apply next cycle( if you havent applied allready), and re take. If you can get 4 points or more, you will be in much better shape, especailly if you apply the first week the applications come out.

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

You have a shot at 15-50 schools don't believe what non urm has to say. apply and see what happens. there is a great big lack of URM males in law school. females are there but not males. PM me if you want specifics

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Apply & see. Consider Alabama, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Case Western Reserve, Cincinnati, Miami, Kansas, New Mexico, St. John's, Oklahoma, UNLV, Syracuse, West Virginia & Nebraska for a partial list.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 pm

2011L1 wrote:You have a shot at 15-50 schools don't believe what non urm has to say.apply and see what happens. there is a great big lack of URMs males in law school. females are there but not males. PM me if you want specifics

FTFY. I'm kind of a URM (supposedly Cuban does not count). I have gotten some boosts in the admissions process. As a Mexican you will fare much better. However, you should use law school predictor to understand where you stand; don't believe you're an "in" everywhere because of your status.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Iowa may be an option.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Take everything said in this thread with a grain of salt. Go read Anne Ivey's book and put together a strong application and you will get in to a ton of T2 schools. You have a very good shot at St. John's with your GPA. I really think it comes down to how well you sell yourself in your application.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm

2011L1 wrote:You have a shot at 15-50 schools don't believe what non urm has to say. apply and see what happens. there is a great big lack of URM males in law school. females are there but not males. PM me if you want specifics

While OP definitely has a shot at a large portion of these schools, he is definitely out at others (UCLA/UT/etc).

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:36 pm

DeeCee wrote:
2011L1 wrote:You have a shot at 15-50 schools don't believe what non urm has to say.apply and see what happens. there is a great big lack of URMs males in law school. females are there but not males. PM me if you want specifics

FTFY. I'm kind of a URM (supposedly Cuban does not count). I have gotten some boosts in the admissions process. As a Mexican you will fare much better. However, you should use law school predictor to understand where you stand; don't believe you're an "in" everywhere because of your status.

154 is not really a low lsat for URM male. it could be better, but it all depends on his story and what he can bring to the program. Meaning a success story

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 pm

2011L1 wrote:154 is not really a low lsat for URM male. it could be better, but it all depends on his story and what he can bring to the program. Meaning a success story

If by not a low LSAT you mean above median, then yes it isn't low.

That being said, a 154 whether URM or not should be retaken 100% of the time.

It really doesn't depend on his story. What he can bring to the table is URM status, GPA, and LSAT. Best to maximize that last one.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Well i got a 154, but that was by far the lowest i ever got in practice. I had an avg of around 163 with a high of 165. I practiced very hard, but neglected the timing and speed aspect of things. I think I can get better If I retake and restudy.

The thing is I'm 24 already and feel im getting too old to be waiting around and would rather take my chances at some school right now. ...I want to apply just to see where I can get it, but i don't really have the extra cash to be wasting on applications right now ( i do have an Lsac fee waiver though)..

what do you guys recommend.

I'm from Cali btw, and havent really thought about where i want to practice.

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:154 is not really a low lsat for URM male. it could be better, but it all depends on his story and what he can bring to the program. Meaning a success story

If by not a low LSAT you mean above median, then yes it isn't low.

That being said, a 154 whether URM or not should be retaken 100% of the time.

It really doesn't depend on his story. What he can bring to the table is URM status, GPA, and LSAT. Best to maximize that last one.

It really all depends. What I'm saying is apply this cycle and shoot for the stars. hopefully he lands in the clouds. Worst case if he's dinged retake in june and apply for next cycle. Everyone on TLS screams T14. which is crazy and might apply for the land of the WASPS (no offense), but for those of us in the real world get in somewhere good and work your butt off!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

2011L1 wrote:It really all depends. What I'm saying is apply this cycle and shoot for the stars. hopefully he lands in the clouds. Worst case if he's dinged retake in june and apply for next cycle. Everyone on TLS screams T14. which is crazy and might apply for the land of the WASPS (no offense), but for those of us in the real world get in somewhere good and work your butt off!

Do you realize how nigh impossible it is to "work your butt off" to success when you are being graded on a curve?

Most T1 schools (including some of the T14) are questionable financial decisions at sticker. The legal market really is that bad and the legal profession is really that prestige obsessed. You can't work hard just to negate reality.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:It really all depends. What I'm saying is apply this cycle and shoot for the stars. hopefully he lands in the clouds. Worst case if he's dinged retake in june and apply for next cycle. Everyone on TLS screams T14. which is crazy and might apply for the land of the WASPS (no offense), but for those of us in the real world get in somewhere good and work your butt off!

Do you realize how nigh impossible it is to "work your butt off" to success when you are being graded on a curve?

Most T1 schools (including some of the T14) are questionable financial decisions at sticker. The legal market really is that bad and the legal profession is really that prestige obsessed. You can't work hard just to negate reality.

I agree, bk. OP, the advice 2011L1 is giving you is not realistic. Yes, you can "shoot for the stars," but if you don't get there, have a plan b.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”