American vs Rutgers in NYC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

American vs Rutgers in NYC

Postby URMdan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Which school has better placement in NYC? I know that RU has a very close proximity to NY, but American has better national recognition and is ranked about 30 schools higher.

Re: American vs Rutgers in NYC

Postby dakatz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:15 pm

What you just said there is the very reason why the rankings make me so angry: They give people nothing but misconceptions. Thirty ranking spots higher means nothing, and I don't fault you for not knowing that. Past the top 25 or 30 schools, the ranking is completely secondary to the location. If you want to be in NYC, RU would absolutely be the better choice. That isn't to say that RU doesn't face VERY stiff competition from a number of better schools in the area, but it would certainly be better than American for that purpose. Again, don't let the rankings fool you. The number means nothing compared to the location once you are talking about anything but the top tier of schools.

Re: American vs Rutgers in NYC

Postby mighttransfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm

dakatz is absolutely correct: the separation in ranking means nothing...RU is by far the superior option, though you would certainly have to be at the top of your class

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”