Help:Questions regarding obtaining first LOR for future app.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eli88

Help:Questions regarding obtaining first LOR for future app.

Postby eli88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 pm

I'm a prospective law school applicant looking to apply one year from now (Jan 2012). I'm obtaining my first Letter Recommendation from an English professor of mine from the previous Fall semester. Can someone briefly explain the process? From what I understand, I would first need to sign up with LSAC, join Credential Assembly Service and pay the $124 enrollment fee. From there, I will be able to access their LOR form. From then, LSAC/CAS will store the LoR along with my transcripts, LSAT scores, etc to generate my law school report?

Is the LoR submitted 100% electronically or do I need my professor to fill out a paper copy as well? How long is a Letter of Recommendation good for? Will the professor be contacted again regarding his recommendation once it is received by law schools to which I apply?

Thanks in advance. I apologize if these questions were already raised earlier.

dddhhh

Re: Help:Questions regarding obtaining first LOR for future app.

Postby dddhhh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 pm

eli88 wrote:I'm a prospective law school applicant looking to apply one year from now (Jan 2012). I'm obtaining my first Letter Recommendation from an English professor of mine from the previous Fall semester. Can someone briefly explain the process? From what I understand, I would first need to sign up with LSAC, join Credential Assembly Service and pay the $124 enrollment fee. From there, I will be able to access their LOR form. From then, LSAC/CAS will store the LoR along with my transcripts, LSAT scores, etc to generate my law school report?

Is the LoR submitted 100% electronically or do I need my professor to fill out a paper copy as well? How long is a Letter of Recommendation good for? Will the professor be contacted again regarding his recommendation once it is received by law schools to which I apply?

Thanks in advance. I apologize if these questions were already raised earlier.

You will print the LOR form from LSAC, sign it & ask your recommender to send it in with their signed LOR. LSAC will then store it & if you choose they will then send it with your file.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 pm

You have it mostly right. Once you have your account set up, you will need to ask the prof. If they say yes you will need to put some basic info (name, address, etc.) into the LOR form. LSAC will then generate a form that you will print out and sign (and you will sign it), which you give to the prof. The prof then writes the LOR, attaches the form and sends it to LSAC for processing. It get processed and sent out with all of your apps.

eli88

Postby eli88 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks guys. One last concern:

There's a slight chance my application to law schools may be delayed until the Fall of 2012 rather than Jan of 2012. Would my LoR still be valid? Is there a suggested time frame in which Letters of Recommendations should be written? Thanks.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 am

eli88 wrote:Thanks guys. One last concern:

There's a slight chance my application to law schools may be delayed until the Fall of 2012 rather than Jan of 2012. Would my LoR still be valid? Is there a suggested time frame in which Letters of Recommendations should be written? Thanks.

I had one recommender write me a letter in October 2009 and I didn't apply til this cycle (roughly one year later) and it didn't matter at all. He sent it to LSAC and it waited for me all that time :)

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
eli88 wrote:Thanks guys. One last concern:

I had one recommender write me a letter in October 2009 and I didn't apply til this cycle (roughly one year later) and it didn't matter at all. He sent it to LSAC and it waited for me all that time :)

Same! So you should be fine :) Your account is valid for a long time, I think mine expires in 2015...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”