Has anyone written a Why X to CCN? Help or hurt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gregwolfe22

Has anyone written a Why X to CCN? Help or hurt?

Postby gregwolfe22 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm applying to law school (late i know, but i think that the apply early buzz is law school propaganda and the people who get in would get in regardless of when they applied). I have a 3.65/173 and am thinking about writing addendums about why I want to columbia/nyu. Do folks this would help or hurt? Mine would focus on my ties to the community (im from here, my parents live here, I want to work here after) in addition to obvious academic excellence.

As I am literally a median candidate for both schools, I was wondering if that push would help and look forward to hearing responses.

acadec

Re: Has anyone written a Why X to CCN? Help or hurt?

Postby acadec » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Can't hurt, but I don't imagine it would help much either. CCN already know you want to go there, and are unlikely to YP, making a Why X essay pretty unnecessary. Oh, and one of the best ways to show that you really want to go to a school is to apply early. Seriously reconsider waiting until next cycle.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:47 pm

You think the concept of rolling admissions and limited spots the later you apply is propaganda for borderline applicants?

gregwolfe22

Postby gregwolfe22 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:58 pm

No, I more believe that schools are smart enough to let in the people who woudve gotten in no matter when they applied at the beginning and waitlist boderline kids until they've seen the entire applicant pool. So, youd recommend holding off on the columbia essay though? I'm more concerned that there's not much else I can say regarding their academics, more just my ties to the city. Would that be an effective essay?

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm

FWIW along with my 2 pg ps to nyu I also added a 1 page supplemental essay where I expressed my desire to go there. I went under review almost immediately and was accepted very soon after and I applied two days before Christmas

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm

parsi wrote:FWIW along with my 2 pg ps to nyu I also added a 1 page supplemental essay where I expressed my desire to go there. I went under review almost immediately and was accepted very soon after and I applied two days before Christmas

+1 Mine wasn't a supplemental, but I made my PS into a Why NYU. I got accepted on 12/9 (one of the first batches) after submitting 11/15. I think it made a definite difference, but only do it if you have a good reason to express for each school and can show you've done your homework.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”