Accepted, but should I re-take in Feb for Scholarship $$$?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LSATclincher

Accepted, but should I re-take in Feb for Scholarship $$$?

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I just received an acceptance to a school which I thought my chances were 50/50. I got accepted way quicker than I thought since I took the December LSAT, and sent out my app 3 weeks ago. Should I register tonight for the February LSAT and gamble for some scholarship money?

It's also a part-time program, so would my chances of scholarship be lower? I have to imagine this is a bit like "cheating the system," so deep down inside, I don't think this will work. But I needed to run it by here for some opinions.

Thanks in advance...

romothesavior

Re: Accepted, but should I re-take in Feb for Scholarship $$$?

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

This isn't cheating the system at all and its totally normal. Call the school and ask them, I had a buddy who did this and they said they would take it into account, and he got more money.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Might work, might not, for me, it worked for a few schools, but others (including the one I ended up attending) didn't bite. All depends on how much scholarship money they already disbursed, how many of the people offered scholarships accepted them, etc. But its certainly worth a shot, why not?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Well I only have until midnight tonight to sign up, so contacting the school is not an option. Today is the last day of late registration for the FEB test. I just looked at one of my emails that said, "If you plan to take the LSAT again, please let us know. We will hold your application until the score has been received." But I received that e-mail on 1/18. And I received my acceptance this morning. If they were logical, they would have sent my acceptance tomorrow morning to ensure that I would NOT be taking the FEB test. Unless they are almost begging me to re-take????

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:20 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Might work, might not, for me, it worked for a few schools, but others (including the one I ended up attending) didn't bite. All depends on how much scholarship money they already disbursed, how many of the people offered scholarships accepted them, etc. But its certainly worth a shot, why not?

Right. I see no downside. If my score somehow drops, could this hurt me? Could they rescind their offer?

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:24 pm

No, almost all schools take the highest score, and even ones that say they average the scores seem to actually just take the highest.

LSAC will send them your new score though, but if you are already accepted, its gonna be ok. Even if you have not been accepted yet any school will still take your highest score, whether your new score or the previous one.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Retake.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:Retake.

This is an unpredictable curve ball thrown at me. I haven't even looked at LSAT material since the December test over a months ago. Can I realistically improve my score in 3 weeks?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm

+1

May not help. Cannot hurt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm

LSATclincher wrote:

This is an unpredictable curve ball thrown at me. I haven't even looked at LSAT material since the December test over a months ago. Can I realistically improve my score in 3 weeks?

I dunno, I was just giving you the standard TLS response. But do you think you can improve? Did you do the absolute best you could?

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:

I dunno, I was just giving you the standard TLS response. But do you think you can improve? Did you do the absolute best you could?

I think I hit my cap in LR (I could actually drop in that), I could have squeezed a point or two out of LG. RC, yes I could have done better.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:39 pm

I am retaking after six acceptances. I felt that I could have gotten a better score on the October test, and am now reviewing. Am doing as well or better on everything but games, but will spend the next three weeks concentrating on the one type that throws me (it's a rare one, relatively; not tough, but I never take the correct first step). I say go for it, there's so little downside other than a bit of money. Upside? Off of potential waitlists, maybe a few thou at the odd school. That alone would make it worthwhile.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am

If you retake in Feb., do the schools that have not accepted you yet put you on hold until the Feb. score? Contemplating a June retake after paying my deposits. I figure there would be no harm in that other than losing time and some money.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 am

Some schools will automatically, some you have to request. I'm not going to request it.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:18 am

I opted not to take it. Many of the schools to which I applied told me to alert them if I was taking the FEB test, and they would hold the file at that point. I don't like file holds this late in the game, especially if your numbers are borderline for the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”