Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am

2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
3.66 GPA Masters Degree (Sport Management; from large Big East school)
7 years work experience (acct/production management)
Some softs - mentoring middle school students
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland
University of South Carolina

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

Bud2003 wrote:2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
3.66 GPA Masters Degree (Sport Management; from large Big East school)
7 years work experience (acct/production management)
Some softs - mentoring middle school students
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland
University of South Carolina

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.


I think you're in at all of them.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 am

TommyK wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
3.66 GPA Masters Degree (Sport Management; from large Big East school)
7 years work experience (acct/production management)
Some softs - mentoring middle school students
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland
University of South Carolina

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.


I think you're in at all of them.


Thanks for easing my anxiety. I'm not expecting any $$$, just hoping to get in. Married guy trying to make a career change has been a bit stressful.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am

Bud2003 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
3.66 GPA Masters Degree (Sport Management; from large Big East school)
7 years work experience (acct/production management)
Some softs - mentoring middle school students
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland
University of South Carolina

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.


I think you're in at all of them.


Thanks for easing my anxiety. I'm not expecting any $$$, just hoping to get in. Married guy trying to make a career change has been a bit stressful.


Okay, maybe not all of them, but I think you'll get into at least 2-3 of them. nontraditional/URM cycles can be unpredictable. Hope you're not applying for this cycle.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am

androstan wrote:You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.


It's not that I hate my job, it's just not that fulfilling. I enjoy my co-workers and the business relationships I have established, but I don't see myself working for somebody for the rest of my life.

I think these options are right for me, and based on some personal aspirations Howard University is really my #1

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 am

androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

LHC
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby LHC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 am

ahduth wrote:
androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

+1
I agree. And it's worth considering waiting until next cycle to apply so you can get your apps in early.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

Bud2003 wrote:
androstan wrote:You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.


It's not that I hate my job, it's just not that fulfilling. I enjoy my co-workers and the business relationships I have established, but I don't see myself working for somebody for the rest of my life.

I think these options are right for me, and based on some personal aspirations Howard University is really my #1


You don't have to go to LS to go into business for yourself. An MBA is probably more appropriate, assuming you even need more school.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am

LHC wrote:
ahduth wrote:
androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

+1
I agree. And it's worth considering waiting until next cycle to apply so you can get your apps in early.


Considering that I am applying in this late of cycle, and if I am rejected at all 4. Am I, somehow, putting myself at a disadvantage at these schools if I were to apply a second time for the next year? (Outside of taking the LSAT again; and presumably scoring higher)

ClayDavis
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby ClayDavis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 am

androstan wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:
androstan wrote:You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.


It's not that I hate my job, it's just not that fulfilling. I enjoy my co-workers and the business relationships I have established, but I don't see myself working for somebody for the rest of my life.

I think these options are right for me, and based on some personal aspirations Howard University is really my #1


You don't have to go to LS to go into business for yourself. An MBA is probably more appropriate, assuming you even need more school.

Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby niederbomb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 am

If you're an AA, Howard can be a very good choice. Many employers who recruit at top schools also recruit there to bring diversity to their firms. Howard may not be a T1, but it's still a decent choice, far superior to some T1's, if you fit the right profile.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 am

Bud2003 wrote:
LHC wrote:
ahduth wrote:
androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

+1
I agree. And it's worth considering waiting until next cycle to apply so you can get your apps in early.


Considering that I am applying in this late of cycle, and if I am rejected at all 4. Am I, somehow, putting myself at a disadvantage at these schools if I were to apply a second time for the next year? (Outside of taking the LSAT again; and presumably scoring higher)


no. you can always reappply to the schools again if you dont get in.

dddhhh
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby dddhhh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 am

& apply early! It can make a difference at some schools.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for all of your advice and feedback.

TheTallOne0602
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

ClayDavis wrote:Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.


That is melodramatic even for TLS.

User avatar
Bud2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.


That is melodramatic even for TLS.


I agree...it seems be a fad to say that on this forum.

Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiit, (lol @ Sen. Clay Davis reference) if anything, law is an evolving field. Different career paths are opening to folks with legal experience.

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

TheTallOne0602
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

2011L1 wrote:I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


His undergrad GPA IS a big factor. Saying otherwise is just wrong.

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


His undergrad GPA IS a big factor. Saying otherwise is just wrong.


How many years ago was that? and the 3.66 gpa from masters does factor in. he's 29 not 21 or 22. married and active in the community

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

2011L1 wrote:
TheTallOne0602 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!


His undergrad GPA IS a big factor. Saying otherwise is just wrong.


How many years ago was that? and the 3.66 gpa from masters does factor in. he's 29 not 21 or 22. married and active in the community


If I were an adcom I would keep an eye toward the USNWR rankings and, by extension, my GPA/LSAT 25/50/75. With that said, I would also be keeping an eye toward graduating professionals that will do well.Their performance reflects on my school and can effect which firms recruit at my institution, among other highly relevant factors.

Since the 25/50/75 are percentiles, I can admit a certain number of people below these numbers while still maintaining the numbers for rankings purposes. Obviously a certain number of these are URMs, but not all of them have to be. Students with life and work experience bring diversity too. If there are applicants with weak numbers but other indicators that they will do well after graduation, I look there. There are probably a very limited number of spots available to admit such students without detrimentally influencing GPA/LSAT, but there may be some spots.

It would vary from year to year I'm sure. Some years there may be even fewer spots for such students. The main point, however, is that maximizing USNWR rank can sometimes involve taking students with lower numbers. If those lower numbers don't influence your LSAT/GPA quartiles, but they do bring someone with a high likelihood of reflecting well on the school and boosting employment stats, a smart adcom picks up a few of those. Those few spots are just likely to be very competitive in terms of "softs". The higher quality WE, the better. The better their recommendations, the more convinced the adcom is that they have found a snowflake.

Edit: With all that said, retake.

User avatar
2011L1
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Agreed with everything but retake




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help, studyingeveryday and 5 guests