Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bud2003

Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am

2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
3.66 GPA Masters Degree (Sport Management; from large Big East school)
7 years work experience (acct/production management)
Some softs - mentoring middle school students
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland
University of South Carolina

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.

TommyK

Re: Am I crazy (2.5 gpa)

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

Bud2003 wrote:2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland

Do I have a chance at any of these? I know these are long shots....but I hold out for hope.

I think you're in at all of them.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:46 am

TommyK wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:2.54 UGPA (from military college in South Carolina; played 4 years of college football)
160 LSAT
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland

Thanks for easing my anxiety. I'm not expecting any $$$, just hoping to get in. Married guy trying to make a career change has been a bit stressful.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am

Bud2003 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
160 LSAT
29 year old URM

Apps at:
Howard University
George Mason
University of Maryland

Thanks for easing my anxiety. I'm not expecting any $$$, just hoping to get in. Married guy trying to make a career change has been a bit stressful.

Okay, maybe not all of them, but I think you'll get into at least 2-3 of them. nontraditional/URM cycles can be unpredictable. Hope you're not applying for this cycle.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am

androstan wrote:You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

It's not that I hate my job, it's just not that fulfilling. I enjoy my co-workers and the business relationships I have established, but I don't see myself working for somebody for the rest of my life.

I think these options are right for me, and based on some personal aspirations Howard University is really my #1

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 am

androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

LHC

Postby LHC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:21 am

ahduth wrote:
androstan wrote:If you're serious about the LS thing study hard for the LSAT and retake. Try to add at least 5 or 10 points to it.

+1
I agree. And it's worth considering waiting until next cycle to apply so you can get your apps in early.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

Bud2003 wrote:
androstan wrote:You're not looking at a lot of good options there. Do you hate your job?

It's not that I hate my job, it's just not that fulfilling. I enjoy my co-workers and the business relationships I have established, but I don't see myself working for somebody for the rest of my life.

I think these options are right for me, and based on some personal aspirations Howard University is really my #1

You don't have to go to LS to go into business for yourself. An MBA is probably more appropriate, assuming you even need more school.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am

LHC wrote:
ahduth wrote:

+1
I agree. And it's worth considering waiting until next cycle to apply so you can get your apps in early.

Considering that I am applying in this late of cycle, and if I am rejected at all 4. Am I, somehow, putting myself at a disadvantage at these schools if I were to apply a second time for the next year? (Outside of taking the LSAT again; and presumably scoring higher)

ClayDavis

Postby ClayDavis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:42 am

androstan wrote:
Bud2003 wrote:

You don't have to go to LS to go into business for yourself. An MBA is probably more appropriate, assuming you even need more school.

Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 am

If you're an AA, Howard can be a very good choice. Many employers who recruit at top schools also recruit there to bring diversity to their firms. Howard may not be a T1, but it's still a decent choice, far superior to some T1's, if you fit the right profile.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 am

Bud2003 wrote:
LHC wrote:
ahduth wrote:

+1

Considering that I am applying in this late of cycle, and if I am rejected at all 4. Am I, somehow, putting myself at a disadvantage at these schools if I were to apply a second time for the next year? (Outside of taking the LSAT again; and presumably scoring higher)

no. you can always reappply to the schools again if you dont get in.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 am

& apply early! It can make a difference at some schools.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for all of your advice and feedback.

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

ClayDavis wrote:Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.

That is melodramatic even for TLS.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:Take this dude's advice: Go get an MBA. Seriously. It will give you so many more options, it only takes 2 years and thus costs less, and with 7 years of good WE, you could get into a better program (especially considering UGPA counts for far less in bschool apps). Law is a dying field; if you can't get into an elite school at a discount, the risk you're taking is far too great.

That is melodramatic even for TLS.

I agree...it seems be a fad to say that on this forum.

Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiit, (lol @ Sen. Clay Davis reference) if anything, law is an evolving field. Different career paths are opening to folks with legal experience.

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

2011L1 wrote:I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

His undergrad GPA IS a big factor. Saying otherwise is just wrong.

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

TheTallOne0602 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:I think your shooting too low. You're undergrad gpa isn't that much of a factor with all the work exp and 160 on the lsat 7 years later you are a completely diff person. 160 lsat for a URM male u are a unicorn and good schools admit younger men with less. pm me if you want specifics. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

How many years ago was that? and the 3.66 gpa from masters does factor in. he's 29 not 21 or 22. married and active in the community

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

2011L1 wrote:
TheTallOne0602 wrote:

How many years ago was that? and the 3.66 gpa from masters does factor in. he's 29 not 21 or 22. married and active in the community

If I were an adcom I would keep an eye toward the USNWR rankings and, by extension, my GPA/LSAT 25/50/75. With that said, I would also be keeping an eye toward graduating professionals that will do well.Their performance reflects on my school and can effect which firms recruit at my institution, among other highly relevant factors.

Since the 25/50/75 are percentiles, I can admit a certain number of people below these numbers while still maintaining the numbers for rankings purposes. Obviously a certain number of these are URMs, but not all of them have to be. Students with life and work experience bring diversity too. If there are applicants with weak numbers but other indicators that they will do well after graduation, I look there. There are probably a very limited number of spots available to admit such students without detrimentally influencing GPA/LSAT, but there may be some spots.

It would vary from year to year I'm sure. Some years there may be even fewer spots for such students. The main point, however, is that maximizing USNWR rank can sometimes involve taking students with lower numbers. If those lower numbers don't influence your LSAT/GPA quartiles, but they do bring someone with a high likelihood of reflecting well on the school and boosting employment stats, a smart adcom picks up a few of those. Those few spots are just likely to be very competitive in terms of "softs". The higher quality WE, the better. The better their recommendations, the more convinced the adcom is that they have found a snowflake.

Edit: With all that said, retake.

2011L1

Postby 2011L1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Agreed with everything but retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”