ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seriously????

Re: ED at Columbia and UPenn - Extreme splitter

Postby seriously???? » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm

The comment that says MVP would prefer a 3.0 172 over a 2.8 179 sounds suspect. I am not sure what evidence is present in LSN other than nobody is necessarily a lock. But to say that schools don't care how much you are above a 75th percentile, again I find suspect. Perhaps, a sub 3.0 is an automatic denial for these schools, but if someone is above the 75th percentile by 7 points, I would consider this guy as a 172, 3.5-3.7. From a numbers perspective, I believe a 179 outweighs a 2.8, but I guess it will be interesting to find out what the outcome is. Please keep us posted.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:22 pm

This all depends where OP is in his education as well. We don't know much about OP since he really hasn't given us any information besides his GPA, and LSAT.

If OP has 90 credits right now, and is sitting with 2.8 he can get his GPA up with some serious work. If OP is a junior that is thinking about applying next year and is sitting at 2.8 with 60 credits then he can get his GPA up to 3.0 with some serious hard work. If he has 120 credits-earned his degree-no upward trend that's a whole another story.

Its different if OP plans on applying next year and has this semester-summer school, and next fall to raise his GPA. His LSAT is stellar, but the circumstances surrounding the GPA will matter. Good or bad it will matter.

Although I think he might of graduated already.

Michigan accepted someone with 3.07 GPA and 172 LSAT (not URM) this cycle that's why i used that as an example.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:29 pm

seriously???? wrote:The comment that says MVP would prefer a 3.0 172 over a 2.8 179 sounds suspect. I am not sure what evidence is present in LSN other than nobody is necessarily a lock. But to say that schools don't care how much you are above a 75th percentile, again I find suspect. Perhaps, a sub 3.0 is an automatic denial for these schools, but if someone is above the 75th percentile by 7 points, I would consider this guy as a 172, 3.5-3.7. From a numbers perspective, I believe a 179 outweighs a 2.8, but I guess it will be interesting to find out what the outcome is. Please keep us posted.

Key emphasis on YOU WOULD CONSIDER. You are not an adcomm, nobody cares what you think. The fact is that most of the T14 have pretty hard and fast 3.0 floors (with minor exceptions for NU and GULC PT, as well as the occasional outlier). The evidence in LSN is that plenty of sub-3.0/170+ applicants apply to MVP and only an insanely tiny minority have ever gotten in, not to mention that this was in the past and their application cycles have gotten tougher as of late.

Miracle wrote:This all depends where OP is in his education as well. We don't know much about OP since he really hasn't given us any information besides his GPA, and LSAT.

If OP has 90 credits right now, and is sitting with 2.8 he can get his GPA up with some serious work. If OP is a junior that is thinking about applying next year and is sitting at 2.8 with 60 credits then he can get his GPA up to 3.0 with some serious hard work. If he has 120 credits-earned his degree-no upward trend that's a whole another story.

Its different if OP plans on applying next year and has this semester-summer school, and next fall to raise his GPA. His LSAT is stellar, but the circumstances surrounding the GPA will matter. Good or bad it will matter.

Michigan accepted someone with 3.07 GPA and 172 LSAT (not URM) this cycle that's why i used that as an example.

This is so ridiculously pointless. Yes, a 2.8 can (if they get all A's) in some instances drag up their GPA to a 3.0, but the situations where this is possible is rare if they are already at the point of looking to apply to law school, on top of the fact that it is just unlikely (a 2.8 all of a sudden getting a 4.0 every semester? lol).

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
seriously???? wrote:The comment that says MVP would prefer a 3.0 172 over a 2.8 179 sounds suspect. I am not sure what evidence is present in LSN other than nobody is necessarily a lock. But to say that schools don't care how much you are above a 75th percentile, again I find suspect. Perhaps, a sub 3.0 is an automatic denial for these schools, but if someone is above the 75th percentile by 7 points, I would consider this guy as a 172, 3.5-3.7. From a numbers perspective, I believe a 179 outweighs a 2.8, but I guess it will be interesting to find out what the outcome is. Please keep us posted.

Key emphasis on YOU WOULD CONSIDER. You are not an adcomm, nobody cares what you think. The fact is that most of the T14 have pretty hard and fast 3.0 floors (with minor exceptions for NU and GULC PT, as well as the occasional outlier). The evidence in LSN is that plenty of sub-3.0/170+ applicants apply to MVP and only an insanely tiny minority have ever gotten in, not to mention that this was in the past and their application cycles have gotten tougher as of late.

Miracle wrote:This all depends where OP is in his education as well. We don't know much about OP since he really hasn't given us any information besides his GPA, and LSAT.

This is so ridiculously pointless. Yes, a 2.8 can (if they get all A's) in some instances drag up their GPA to a 3.0, but the situations where this is possible is rare if they are already at the point of looking to apply to law school, on top of the fact that it is just unlikely (a 2.8 all of a sudden getting a 4.0 every semester? lol).

Now you must be the most ignorant person that I have ever engaged myself in a discussion with.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Miracle wrote:Now you must be the most ignorant person that I have ever engaged myself in a discussion with.

Do I get a cookie?

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

bk1 wrote:on top of the fact that it is just unlikely (a 2.8 all of a sudden getting a 4.0 every semester? lol).

It's been done before

/4.08 my last 2 semesters

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 pm

I think what you meant to write was, "that's a whole nother story", but what you should have wrote was, "that's another whole story".

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:38 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:
bk1 wrote:on top of the fact that it is just unlikely (a 2.8 all of a sudden getting a 4.0 every semester? lol).

It's been done before

Definitely possible, but unlikely, especially the amount of 4.0 semesters it would take to get take a 2.8 to a 4.0.

My point is that it is generally a pointless thing to bother discussing because it's in a giant realm of hypothetical. We can make all sorts of hypothetical discussions based on things we do not know about OP, but it serves no purpose.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

well-hello-there wrote:I think what you meant to write was, "that's a whole nother story", but what you should have wrote was, "that's another whole story".

Godwined.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
edgarfigaro wrote:

It's been done before

Definitely possible, but unlikely, especially the amount of 4.0 semesters it would take to get take a 2.8 to a 4.0.

My point is that it is generally a pointless thing to bother discussing because it's in a giant realm of hypothetical. We can make all sorts of hypothetical discussions based on things we do not know about OP, but it serves no purpose.

we said 3.0 not 4.0

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Miracle wrote:we said 3.0 not 4.0

That was a typo (or Freudian slip?), but my point still stands. I meant it still takes a lot of 4.0's to get a 2.8 up to a 3.0 when late in one's college career. It roughly means you have to be able to take a little more than 20% of the number of credits you currently have and never slip up while taking the remainder of those credits.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:

It's been done before

I did it as well.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
Miracle wrote:we said 3.0 not 4.0

That was a typo (or Freudian slip?), but my point still stands. I meant it still takes a lot of 4.0's to get a 2.8 up to a 3.0 when late in one's college career. It roughly means you have to be able to take a little more than 20% of the number of credits you currently have and never slip up while taking the remainder of those credits.

I did it. I walked in Fall admission with 2.98. My Fall semester pulled me over. I was over 3.0 under 3.1 and gained myself admission to some great schools.
Last edited by Miracle on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Miracle wrote:I did it.

Grats dood. Outliers, have you heard of them?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:I think what you meant to write was, "that's a whole nother story", but what you should have wrote was, "that's another whole story".

Godwined.

And the correction wasn't even correct. "A whole other story" is the correct form.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:49 pm

bk1 wrote:

Godwined.

admit it, you use the word "nother" in everyday conversation but when it came time to write it down, something just didn't seem right. The red squiggly underline tipped you off didn't it?!

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm

clintonius wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Godwined.

And the correction wasn't even correct. "A whole other story" is the correct form.

A whole other story also works, however, there is nothing wrong with another whole story.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Miracle wrote:I did it. I walked in Fall admission with 2.98. My Fall semester pulled me over. I was over 3.0 under 3.1 and gained myself admission to some great schools.

You overcame a much smaller gap than 2.8 to 3.0+. As I said, a 2.8 needs over 20% of his/her possible credits still left to be taken and needs to get an A in all of them (one A- can fuck this over).

My protest is to the absurdity of even bringing it up. I think the OP can infer from discussions regarding his chances (and looking at LSN) that having a sub-3.0 GPA screws him over. Of course he should try to, if he can, get above a 3.0 as that would be a game changer. But this is all in the realm of hypothetical with no real guarantee that OP is still in undergrad or has enough credits to make this possible. Top that off with the fact that the odds are against it happening (merely because one slip in one class can cause an A- or worse and that would prevent a 3.0 from being possible).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 pm

well-hello-there wrote:admit it, you use the word "nother" in everyday conversation but when it came time to write it down, something just didn't seem right. The red squiggly underline tipped you off didn't it?!

You probably spend a lot more time looking and making sure your posts are correct than most of us do. The odd influx of spoken English into the internet isn't the end of the world.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:admit it, you use the word "nother" in everyday conversation but when it came time to write it down, something just didn't seem right. The red squiggly underline tipped you off didn't it?!

You probably spend a lot more time looking and making sure your posts are correct than most of us do. The odd influx of spoken English into the internet isn't the end of the world.

do the people you speak with just let you get away with saying "nother"?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 pm

well-hello-there wrote:do the people you speak with just let you get away with saying "nother"?

I don't say "nother." I also try not to nitpick random grammar/spelling mistakes on the internet, though I have to admit I do get dragged into it from time to time.

I hope that if somebody brought it to my attention I would realize I was being an incessant jackass.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:do the people you speak with just let you get away with saying "nother"?

I don't say "nother." I also try not to nitpick random grammar/spelling mistakes on the internet, though I have to admit I do get dragged into it from time to time.

I hope that if somebody brought it to my attention I would realize I was being an incessant jackass.

you seem uptight...lighten up! i'm not actually attacking you!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 pm

well-hello-there wrote:you seem uptight

This is humorous.

Also, it's "what you should have written," not "what you should have wrote." Now kindly knock it off.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Responding to a few running themes here,

The thing with a 2.8/179 is no one REALLY knows for sure. There are very few data points. For the most part the advice is right that NU w/ WE and GULC pt are probably the only t14 options, but you can never know for sure. For an anecdote of 179 being > than 172 for a splitter, someone got into UT with a 3.0/179 a couple of cycle ago while pretty much all 3.2/172 types were waitlisted or rejected over the last few cycles.

Also, just getting a 179 =/= genius.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm

clintonius wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:you seem uptight

This is humorous.

Also, it's "what you should have written," not "what you should have wrote." Now kindly knock it off.

again, "what you should have written" works but "what you should have wrote" works also.
edit: SNAP! you got me :oops:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”